ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Enabled DTC mode on the ///M (Track mode ?)

On my 2007 Z4MC, I coded the MK60 module to enable the DTC light to come on. Now, with a quick press of the DSC button, the DTC light comes on in the instrument cluster. When the DSC button is held down for a few seconds, the DSC off symbol lights up. Now my car has 3 modes like the non-M cars have.

I haven't had allot of time to experiment with it, but when in DTC mode, it does allow for much more wheel spin and more sideways action before the nannies kick in when compared without the DTC mode enabled. I need to find some open space to get familiar with the limits. I believe this is like the "M3 track mode". The M3 also uses the MK60 module. The DTC mode feels somewhere in between DSC on and DSC off.

Name:  DTC mode.jpg
Views: 3391
Size:  207.0 KB

Last edited by pungo; 12-22-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Great job, a lot of people will be interested in this!! What did you have to change to make this happen? Did you just change the model variant to roadster?

You gotta let us know!!

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The only change I made was to change the value of TDR from nicht_aktiv to activ. Give it a try and report your results.

I believe TDR stands for "TRAKTION DIFFERENZ REGELUNG" which google translated to "TRACTION DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEM".

BMW defines DTC as:
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Control’s stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.

There are some other parameters than may reduce the DSC intervention but I didn't change any of them.

Here's a few of interest:
UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0_2 - OVERSTEER FRICTION COEFFICIENT 0 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT=1.5+(DATA/128) : COEFFICIENT=1.5+((DATA-256)/128)]

UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 - OVERSTEER FRICTION COEFFICIENT 1 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT=2.5+(DATA/64) : COEFFICIENT=2.5+((DATA-256)/64)]

UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 - UNDERSTEER FRICTION COEFFICIENT 1 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT=2.5+(DATA/64) : COEFFICIENT=2.5+((DATA-256)/64)]

UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE_2 - UNDERSTEER THRESHOLD 2 [DATA<128 ? COEFFICIENT=2.5+(DATA/64) : COEFFICIENT=2.5+((DATA-256)/64)]

GEARMOMENTREGLER_MAX_HA_2 - GEAR-TORQUE CONTROL MAXIMUM REAR AXLE [DATA<8 ? PERCENTAGE_%=(DATA*4000)/1024 : PERCENTAGE_%=((DATA-16)*4000)/1024]

GEARMOMENTREGLER_MIN_HA_2 - GEAR-TORQUE CONTROL MINIMUM REAR AXLE [DATA<8 ? PERCENTAGE_%=(DATA*4000)/1024 : PERCENTAGE_%=((DATA-16)*4000)/1024]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You've definitely been working on more than just headlights lately. Good info above. I'll be able to get that coded later this week or by the weekend.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Nice work!

I'm going to have to give this a try.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
So when DSC is deactivated, we can burn/peel out, fishtail and have fun. How does DTC compare to that? And why would we need it when it's not even an option on the ///M? I'm not connecting the dots
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

nice work mate, but "TRAKTION DIFFERENZ REGELUNG" which google translated to "TRACTION DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEM", is incorrect.

regelung is control.

either way, i guess it has a similar meaning in this application. and i am not sure about difderenz either, i think that may actually difference, not differential.

either way, bloody good job mate looking forwards to the results on this for the track i don't like the nanny, but bloody hell its full on otherwise
      09-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If this truly works, it will be one of the best mods ever discovered.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I wonder if it's simply a "legacy" program left in the control modules. On "later" BMWs, like the E9X, DTC has a programming mode to "simulate" a limited slip differential by braking individual rear wheels that's slipping to send power to the wheel that's NOT slipping to promote traction. And instead of completely re-writing the code for M cars that came with an LSD, the same codes were left in the system but coded out not to be accessible, since the DTC coding and functionality is useless with a mechanical LSD.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I wonder if it's simply a "legacy" program left in the control modules. On "later" BMWs, like the E9X, DTC has a programming mode to "simulate" a limited slip differential by braking individual rear wheels that's slipping to send power to the wheel that's NOT slipping to promote traction. And instead of completely re-writing the code for M cars that came with an LSD, the same codes were left in the system but coded out not to be accessible, since the DTC coding and functionality is useless with a mechanical LSD.
I was experimenting with the DTC mode enabled today. I acceleration hard from a roll and both wheels started spinning and with lots of fishtailing. The traction control never engaged. With DTC engaged, there's much less DCS going on. Try it for yourself and post your results.

The MK60 module is also used on the M3 which there is a mode called "M track mode" as explained below:

M Track mode
:
M track mode is a feature of the Dynamic Stability Control DSC, designed for driving on dry roads. It allows you to drive with higher longitudinal and lateral acceleration, whereas driving stability is somewhat reduced. Only in its absolute limit will the system try to stabilize the vehicle by reducing engine power and applying brakes to the wheels. Under these driving conditions the driver must be prepared to perform corrective steering movements if necessary.

By default, M Track mode is off after each engine start.

Warning: While M Track mode is active, stabilizing interventions are performed to a reduced extent only.

Note: To maintain vehicle stability, always drive with DSC switched on and M Track mode switched off whenever possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
The HACK
Rep

If both wheels are spinning, neither the mechanical LSD nor the brake simulating eLSD as a function of DTC would engage. Even with the old school, pre-DTC E46, you CAN spin both wheels when traction levels are nearly equal (dry pavement).

Problem is, how do we figure out, if it indeed is pulling the DTC programming to brake the individual wheels, if the car's electronics thinks faster than the LSD's mechanical intervening? Would the DTC mode simply be the same exact thing as DSC off since the brakes wouldn't sense individual wheels slipping (the mechanical LSD would prevent that)?

I suppose, the next test is to see if you can find a patch of road with two different traction levels (half wet, the other half dry) and see how the DTC mode reacts. If it's braking individual wheels, we'll now that it's doing SOMETHING. If not, the next step is to determine if the DTC mode is different from DSC off on track.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This is VERY interesting!

I would want to be sure that it is in fact like M track mode; that it still has a reduced level of control.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 09-16-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
This IS really interesting. Quite honestly I always drive with DSC enabled. I only remove it when going on a straight...fast
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

This is nice option for turning down the traction control but avoiding a crisis if you find a surprise puddle on a curve, for example.

Great find!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #15
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just enabled mine today. You can still get the dsc to intervene when going around a corner from a stop. I didn't have too much time to experiment with it today. It's nice to have a third option to dsc on/off. From the research I've done, it appears this is similar to what the non-M Z's have (and similiar to M track mode). I think that any e-lsd option available on 3 series isn't available for Z series cars. They use a slightly different module. The non-M Z's do have a similar function but that would have to be changed on purpose for M cars. I think that it will still correct excessive spin by braking individual wheels.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This sounds promising
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I just drive with DSC fully off; always

not making light of your work or anything hehe, just playing around. Although it's true that I do drive with DSC off 99% of the time, I can see the merit in having in-between modes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
I just enabled mine today. You can still get the dsc to intervene when going around a corner from a stop.
Based on this description, and the rest of the thread...

I'm going to say this is exactly what I suspect. The programming for DTC is left in the DSC module because BMW didn't want to customize a module just for our cars.

The fact that you can spin the tires in a straight line, where both tires are losing traction, on dry pavement with this setting enabled, and still engage DSC in a turn, means you're defeating the purpose of the mechanical LSD. The programming is left there for cars with open diffs as to interfere by braking individual wheels in the rear (by the way, said feature was available as early as 2003 when the Z4 was first introduced), but when BOTH wheels are spinning the rear brakes won't kick in because, to the system, traction levels are equal for both sides.

M-Track mode on the E46 actually is a different threshold programmed in to DSC, where on a straight-line it'll give you some leeway to spin the tires, but will eventually reign you in because a moderate amount of tire spin is good for launch (put heat into the rear tires). It also dials back DSC in the corners allow for a greater degree of slip angle before intervening.

If what y'all are saying is true, that DSC still intervenes while turning, then you're in essence using the rear brakes to simulate what a LSD would do, when the car already has a mechanical LSD to start with...And a very fancy one at that.

The quickest way to test it, is to drive around spiritedly in an empty parking lot with DSC off, then drive with the "DTC" mode on, then measure the rear rotor temp to see if it's activating the rear brakes more. If it is, then turning on this "mode" is a big mistake.

I don't have a beef in this, by the way. Now, if you can find a way to program it to default to DSC OFF when starting the car, I'll be all ears.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^WHS.
Cool thing to find out and play with, but probably redundant with, and not as good as, the LSD, which is why it's disabled on the ///M.

Now, if you can find a way to program it to default to SPORT mode when starting the car, I'll be all ears.
      09-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

What software/ cables are you using to make the changes to the code? I would like to try this and some other code changes. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #21
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Based on this description, and the rest of the thread...

I'm going to say this is exactly what I suspect. The programming for DTC is left in the DSC module because BMW didn't want to customize a module just for our cars.

The fact that you can spin the tires in a straight line, where both tires are losing traction, on dry pavement with this setting enabled, and still engage DSC in a turn, means you're defeating the purpose of the mechanical LSD. The programming is left there for cars with open diffs as to interfere by braking individual wheels in the rear (by the way, said feature was available as early as 2003 when the Z4 was first introduced), but when BOTH wheels are spinning the rear brakes won't kick in because, to the system, traction levels are equal for both sides.

M-Track mode on the E46 actually is a different threshold programmed in to DSC, where on a straight-line it'll give you some leeway to spin the tires, but will eventually reign you in because a moderate amount of tire spin is good for launch (put heat into the rear tires). It also dials back DSC in the corners allow for a greater degree of slip angle before intervening.

If what y'all are saying is true, that DSC still intervenes while turning, then you're in essence using the rear brakes to simulate what a LSD would do, when the car already has a mechanical LSD to start with...And a very fancy one at that.

The quickest way to test it, is to drive around spiritedly in an empty parking lot with DSC off, then drive with the "DTC" mode on, then measure the rear rotor temp to see if it's activating the rear brakes more. If it is, then turning on this "mode" is a big mistake.

I don't have a beef in this, by the way. Now, if you can find a way to program it to default to DSC OFF when starting the car, I'll be all ears.
Clever idea to test, but brakes might cool off to fast.

Why it is a mistake??
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post
What software/ cables are you using to make the changes to the code? I would like to try this and some other code changes. Thanks for any info you can provide.
This was done with NCS Expert.
Try searching for "NCS Expert" "GT1" "Progman" "DIS".
It's a big topic.