ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #89
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The only tool (software) that has to be installed on a 32bit system is NCSExpert.

I keep stating this but no one hears... If you want instructions on installing all of this on a 64bit system, just ask. I know it all works because I have been using it for the last three months on Win7 64...

Now with that out of the way, BMTechnic now has NCSExpert that runs on a 64bit OS. I will know more when I receive it sometime next week. If this is true (and I don't doubt it) then all of the major issues have been solved... allowing the software to run on any newer OS.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #90
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The only tool (software) that has to be installed on a 32bit system is NCSExpert.

I keep stating this but no one hears... If you want instructions on installing all of this on a 64bit system, just ask. I know it all works because I have been using it for the last three months on Win7 64...

Now with that out of the way, BMTechnic now has NCSExpert that runs on a 64bit OS. I will know more when I receive it sometime next week. If this is true (and I don't doubt it) then all of the major issues have been solved... allowing the software to run on any newer OS.

as far as the cable goes, did you have to solder the pins?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #91
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The cable I bought from a forum member required me to solder two pins together.

When I talked to Chris@BMTechnic, he said he was modifying the supplied cable so it would work with both the 2003 and the 2008. I am going to assume there is difference and modifications are required.

I am at this moment, looking at the differences of the pinouts of the ODB-II connectors in the WDS.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #92
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a diagram of the ODB-II port on E85/E86 cars. I did not add any information for N46 (4cyl) engines. I will post this on the website.

Edit: New diagram. The other one had some minor issues.

Last edited by Shipkiller; 02-24-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #93
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I received my BMTechnic cable and software in the mail yesterday.

For those of you that have gone through the pain of setting up the same software manually, reading through a ton of posts on installation, reinstalling your OS to facilitate the install, dealing with VMWare, changing serial port settings and all the little time consuming thing you have to do to get the BMW software to work, the BMTechnic is the real deal. And all this does not include the more work it takes to get the DIS/GT1 and SSS/Progman to install and work.

I removed all vestiges of my old software and my VMWare Workstation install on my Windows 7 64bit laptop.

Executed the BMTechnic installation program. Click on the install button for each piece of software you want installed. Done.
Seven steps. Six if you don't install the NavCoder which I did not install.

INPA/Ediabus/NCSEXPERT/WinKFP
BMW TIS
SSS/Progman
BMW DIS/GT1
VMware Player

Everything just WORKS....

Plus the dat files have been updated to the latest and greatest so you don't have to do it manually, which has it's own host of issues of you don't do it properly.

Pay the extra money for this set. In just ease of installation alone it is worth the money and you KNOW that ALL of the software will work with the cable provided.

I will be testing all the software out tomorrow.

Edit:

I am now thinking I want to install NavCoder. From the NavCoder website:

View the ibus data in real time and in plain text! 90% of all ibus messages can be displayed in English.
Scan the ibus and retrieve information on every connected device
Scan and retrieve service information, showing vehicle kms and last service data
Code the Light Control Module and switch off light bulb warning messages (great if you are fitting LED lights) as well as code Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
Code the Navigation computer (Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4) and set any setting you like. You can load languages, change from Mono to Colour nav or vice versa, adjust split screen mode, and change regional settings. Everything!
Code the TV and enable TV-in-Motion, change backup camera from NTSC to PAL and more
Code the ULF and TCU Bluetooth Telephone modules, enable voice recognition, and adjust speed dependent volume
Sync the car clock to your laptop clock to the second
Test the PDC, showing each sensor working in real time, with distance to obstruction
Save and read ibus log files to help in analysing the ibus data flow through the vehicle. Handy for fault finding
And lots more...

Last edited by Shipkiller; 02-26-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #94
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

I've been reading these threads about horrible bass in the Z4M Coupes, and it sounds exactly like my problem. I just purchased a 2007 M Coupe with premium sounds and navi, and although I haven't checked yet, I assumed the subs were blown as I get horribly distorted bass, even after adjusting the EQ and DSP. I used to have a 2008 M Roadster (prem sound no navi) and I thought that system was great--absolutely no comparison to what I have now.

It seems that all of you have found the problem, and I appreciate you documenting all of your efforts here! I do have a couple of (perhaps stupid noob) questions:

1. I'm not sure I feel comfortable re-programming the car myself, although the price of the cable/software wouldn't be an issue. Can I just take the file that pungo shared and have a local bmw shop use it to update my file?

2. I would like to update the navi maps and firmware using the www.bmwnav.net software. Will this have any impact on the amp coding fix? I.e., should I do this before? after? not at all?

Appreciate any advice you can offer! I used to love blasting the stereo in my Roadster, but this new Coupe makes me want to just leave the system off....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #95
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post

1. I'm not sure I feel comfortable re-programming the car myself, although the price of the cable/software wouldn't be an issue. Can I just take the file that pungo shared and have a local bmw shop use it to update my file?

2. I would like to update the navi maps and firmware using the www.bmwnav.net software. Will this have any impact on the amp coding fix? I.e., should I do this before? after? not at all?
Regarding 1):
I have not heard of someone doing this yet, but a quick call to your local indy or dealership would solve for this. they'd tell you if they'd be willing to do it and how much they'd charge. First I'd try an indy. be very curious what you find out, because this is basically the easiest approach to fixing this, just a re-code by someone who knows how to run the software.

Regarding 2): I don't know for sure, so I dont want to speculate.

Good luck, keep us posted on your results!
      03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #96
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Several individuals here on the board have recoded their E86 sound systems with the E85 codings.

If you go to an independent mechanic for this, make sure you have a warm and fuzzy feeling about them.

There are also several step by step procedures on the main Z4 forums that talk about and show you how to update your Nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #97
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Regarding 1):
I have not heard of someone doing this yet, but a quick call to your local indy or dealership would solve for this. they'd tell you if they'd be willing to do it and how much they'd charge. First I'd try an indy. be very curious what you find out, because this is basically the easiest approach to fixing this, just a re-code by someone who knows how to run the software.
I'll look into it and let you know what I find out... Either way, definitely hoping this will make my coupe sound like my old roadster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
There are also several step by step procedures on the main Z4 forums that talk about and show you how to update your Nav.
Thanks. I guess my question really relates to whether the updated nav firmware (v.32, etc.) has any effect on the amp coding as I know the systems are interconnected? Just don't want to recode the amp only to undo it with a navi update or update the navi only to find that the amp fix doesn't work, etc. Any insight...?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #98
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As far as I know and have read, a Nav update only effects the Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #99
illinipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: phallus non-///M

Just want to pull this thread up from the dead for more visibility and to say THANK YOU to everyone involved! Finally, I can truly enjoy driving my car.

Some notes:

The big changes here are to the crossovers (filterbaenke). From what I can tell, the E86 crossover settings completely screw up the rear mids and subs cutoff frequencies, leading to the distortion.

I was interested in optimizing the sound even further. If you try to choose the filterbaenke piecemeal (picking E86 for one and E85 for the rest), it will just shut off some of the speakers. You might be able to get this to work if you play with nettodat, but for the low-hanging fruit solution to muddy, distorted factory subs, just change all the filterbaenken to E85. (Some are shared between E85/E83 or E85/E83/E86... use NCS Dummy to make it easy!! Simply click the checkmark for E85 on all 55 filterbaenke)

The E86 equalization (PEGELADAPTION) was best after fixing the filterbaenke. I only made minor adjustments in the DSP menu.

For the loudness cut-off frequency, I preferred the e86 setting. It was a bit cleaner than e85.

For the loudness linear increase, I preferred the e83 e86 setting. The e85 setting was boomy.

I tried the e83 rear delay, but I didn’t like it. They did a good job with the time alignment and phasing in this car, especially considering how close the speakers are to each other.

mittenfrequenz_1 is the low pass filter for the rear subs and possibly the rear mids as well. "standard" seems to be higher than 100hz and, to me, standard sounds best once you fix the filterbaenke. If the ~120hz distortion still bothers you after the filterbaenke fix (it is there, but minimal), try setting this to fm_100 (100hz).

Thanks again!

Last edited by illinipo; 08-14-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #100
illinipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: phallus non-///M

Here is my trace file if you're unsure about NCS Dummy. It has ONLY the 55 filterbaenke changed. To me, this sounds better than what pungo has provided, but sound is subjective. Try both and see which one you like better
Attached Files
File Type: txt E86 DSP with just filterbaenke changed FSW_PSW.txt (1.7 KB, 226 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #101
FightOn2013
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Hi all, sorry to post on an old thread, but I'm replacing the amp in my Z4 with another compatible amp from an X3 , I'm trying to make sure the amp is coded correctly to my car. My car is a 2003 Z4 3.0i with DSP no NAV.

My questions:

1. Could I somehow reset my head unit (without any tools) and get the head unit to code/reset the amp? (It seems like you guys were trying to manually recode the amp of an E86 to settings of an E85, but since I have an E85, can I somehow "reset" it?)

2. I found a guy who provides BMW coding service in the SF bay area, but he hasn't coded an amp before, how can I help him to code the amp correctly? Here's what he said "The only thing I can do is reset defaults to the modules that are present which contain configuration. For example, the ra_ng module contains the radio configuration. I can then connect to that module and code parameters to it, or reset it to default." , would that work in coding the amp for an E85?

Thanks so much !!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #102
vilas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Coupe 3.0si, 14 i3 BEV

Hey all, new Z4 3.0si Coupe owner here; I found one on the west coast in pristine shape with <30K mi. Stereo sounded just like the rest of yours did though. This thread saved my life! Applied coding fix and now everything sounds exactly like I always thought it should. I was getting ready to shell out for 2 new subwoofers before I stumbled across this thread. I wanted to give a heartfelt THANKS for all the hours of work you put in on this fix. It still works and I can definitely say that it's 100% worth the effort!
Appreciate 0