ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Dangerous Tires

YOU SHOULD REALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!!!

CHECK YOURS!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Thanks, that's useful
      01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Thanks for the life saving tip!

People - please take a moment to watch the video - it's worth the few minutes of time it'll take you to learn something that chances are you probably don't already know.

I work in the auto industry and after almost 20 years of thinking I'd seen it all but this one is really shocking. Nobody would assume that tire companies would sell a product that has a potential to fail unexpectedly but severely like the young man in the video who was killed due to the tire age even though they should have been perfectly fine.

So a few years ago, it was tire inflation that Firestone's sidewall failure taught people a lesson to keep their tires inflated (and now we see tire pressure monitors on many new model cars).

Will the next system be a tire age system that will tell you to go have your tires inspected to determine that they need to be replaced due to the build date?

I can't think of an easy way people would know when to get their tires replaced but there does need to be scientific evidence that shows what factors in combination with each other cause tire age to accelerate.

Thanks for the post!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Geez! OK, one more thing to keep our eye on when we purchase "new" tires. THANKS!

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Good to know, tire born on dating!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Safe and unsafe are statistical concepts not absolutes. How likely are you to have a tire-related accident if driving on a 4 year old, 6 year old or 10 year old tire? At some tire age I'm sure the odds become high enough that this becomes a significant safety issue, but I think this is just another alarmist rant by the overhype machine (and the liability lawyers who can profit from it): "Cryptic Codes", criminal conspiracy, etc. If the odds of a failure are 1 in 10,000 or less then you're more likely to be killed by a drunk driver.

Again, I'm not saying there is no safety issue here, but driving (and life) carries inherent risks and screaming about any potential risks without real incidence statistics is just noise, and I don't want to see a "me too" panic about old tires ensue.

Last edited by vachss; 04-04-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Notice all of those video examples were of tire blowouts on lumbering SUVs, which are top heavy and inherently unstable vehicles. Some years ago I had a rear tire explode at 70 MPH on my 1995 BMW M3 and I could easily slow down and pull over with no drama at all. People who choose to drive poorly handling, unstable vehicles should take more responsibility for keeping good tires on them.

Although runflat tires are widely hated on enthusiast forums, they don't behave this way when they fail and that might be one argument in their favor.
Appreciate 0