ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #1
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw z4 3.0i

confused about Bluetooth...

Seems like the more I read, the more confused I get..
I'd like to 'convert' my '04, if it doesn't already have it, to some type of BT system. My confusion comes from what exactly does the car already have, and what will be needed to do what I want.
The car has a microphone mounted on the top steering column, along with a steering wheel mounted 'speak' button. The rear of the center console has 2 buttons, an SOS and some type of 'tool' button, I believe.
Essentially all I'm wanting to do is to receive & make phone calls with my iphone. Music would be a plus.
Right now I'm looking real hard at this https://www.ebay.com/itm/35376336351...dd28%7Ciid%3A1 but I'm not sure just what the heck I'm getting....or need for that matter. How's about a little help for the tech-challenged slow kid?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:01 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Looks like a pass-thru adapter/harness w/ a BT transceiver. If it were me, I'd dress up the wiring to protect them and keep things tidy.

If you can spring for BlueBus, I'd recommend that route. I'be had mine installed for about a year now and am happy with it for BT streaming amd am occasional call.
      09-05-2022, 06:19 AM   #3
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep

Is this the one that gets installed in the trunk behind the left trim?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

From your description I believe you should already have bluetooth integration for telephone. Looking at available bluetooth connections on your phone while in the car would tell you whether or not the car is sending a signal.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:25 AM   #5
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
From your description I believe you should already have bluetooth integration for telephone. Looking at available bluetooth connections on your phone while in the car would tell you whether or not the car is sending a signal.
Thanks. I did try that, I think, but nothing linked up. Turned the key to first position & hit BT on my phone. Phone just went round & round......
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      09-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep

So, I hate to keep pestering you but....apparently I've got this option: 639 Complete Prep. Cellular Phone Usa/cdn
Do I have to go with this expensive Bluebus or, because of what might already be stock for the car, something a little simpler?
Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:19 PM   #7
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I don't think 04's had bluetooth(my '03 2.5i definitely did not).
Not sure what year they came bluetooth equipped- some Z gurus will chime in eventually.
I think that option means it" bluetooth ready".

If you pull that interior piece in the back you can see it(it's on the left side E85's)
      09-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob'smerlot View Post
Thanks. I did try that, I think, but nothing linked up. Turned the key to first position & hit BT on my phone. Phone just went round & round......
That's where ya messed up! Turn the key to position 2, and then immediately start looking for Bluetooth connections to pair with. The last 7 of your VIN would be the name of the BT module, if yours was equipped with BT.

Having the SOS button means you have the BMW Assist package, but that module was a full on cellphone so it didn't need Bluetooth to piggyback calls. They did add Bluetooth Hands-Free to it later on in production, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob'smerlot View Post
Do I have to go with this expensive Bluebus or, because of what might already be stock for the car, something a little simpler?
Thanks all!
There are other options; like the ULF (expensive and doesn't work with new versions of iOS), or getting a Bluetooth enabled "Everest" TCU.

The BlueBus (which full disclosure is *my* product) gives you a whole myriad of features, and it's all plug and play.

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep

That's funny that you should respond Ted, for I hear you are the guru of bluetooth. Couple of questions: Are your BB's ready to be shipped? I figured I would have to tear into the trunk area to see what all I have there, and wasn't wanting to have to do this twice if the product wasn't readily available. Also, do I just need the 1 BB or will I need additional adapters? As I've said, all I'm really after is trouble-free phone calls. Music would be a plus. Plug&play for the slow kids is also a must.
Thank you sir.
Bob
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
DRandall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 e85 2.5i

depending on your vehicle year and options, bmw’s had a built-in microphone for handsfree calling. It does not support music. Later years also had an “on-star like” telematics system with the SOS button between the seats. If you want to add bluetooth, there are a number of options.

The simplest, cheapest way is to buy a $20 bluetooth FM transmitter. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a USB port. find a quiet unused FM frequency and tune your car’s FM radio to that frequency, plug in a USB cable to your phone and you’re set. You’ll get wireless bluetooth for music, nav and phone calls while keeping your phone charged.

You can add a bluetooth dongle to the back of your stock head unit to create a wireless aux input.

You can ditch the stock head unit entirely and go for an aftermarket unit with bluetooth built in…but be aware that this option works best with the standard radio. If you have the pop up nav screen, you may have the carver DSP “premium audio” setup. if you do, you can’t just swap in a new stereo. You may need to replace the amp and possibly the speakers too.

Lastly,there are add-on units from companies like Grom wnd Bluebus that add bluetooth through an adapter box that usually connects in the trunk.
Appreciate 1