ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

A2DP No low end?

Ok so since I got my car I've been wanting to setup A2DP because I know I'm too lazy to even dock my phone into a connector and I'm sick of listening to CDs and radio. Anyways I finally broke down and ordered an AUX jack (I have a 2006 so no AUX) and I ordered what I thought was a very cleaver A2DP receiver to AUX that fits right in the cig outlet. I'm like sweet I can run AUX side the ashtray and have a totally hidden setup.

Anyways today I took my little A2DP adaptor and tested it on my friends 2007 Z4MC streaming from iphone 5 pandora. Absolutely no low end when using A2DP, if we disconnect the AUX from the device and plug directly into the phone then we get crazy low ends.

So I guess my question is this an issue with A2SP in general or is it an issue with the device I purchased or maybe even an iphone issue? Really bummed out now that my little setup isn't going to work so well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I've got no experience with a plug in A2DP device. I just read some IOS6 and Bluetooth issue reports so perhaps that's what's going on. You may want to try and pair that phone with someone's in car audio system and see how it sounds before trying other stuff. That will quickly tell you if it's the phone or your A2DP device.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I will test more once I get my AUX adaptor since now I have to test on my friends car and I only see him at work twice a week. However from what I am reading it may just be an inherent issue with A2DP that it compresses the audi to send over bluetooth and basically makes it shit. The odd thing is that it's specifically the low end and low mids maybe, the rest sounds perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I've never have issues with the lack of low end using A2DP. It's probably the lineout of your A2DP receiver that is bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I've never have issues with the lack of low end using A2DP. It's probably the lineout of your A2DP receiver that is bad.
What are you using? I got this Griffin BlueTrip which I liked because I could conceal it in the ashtray.

It doesn't sound horrible and honestly if I had not heard it back to back with straight AUX I may have not noticed. However when we put on some bass heavy techno it was night and day AUX vs A2DP. Almost like the bass had been drop from max to min.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
What are you using? I got this Griffin BlueTrip which I liked because I could conceal it in the ashtray.

It doesn't sound horrible and honestly if I had not heard it back to back with straight AUX I may have not noticed. However when we put on some bass heavy techno it was night and day AUX vs A2DP. Almost like the bass had been drop from max to min.
I bought a small recharagable A2DP that plugs into my AUX so I could stream from my phone to it, and I had almost no volume at all. I then decided to install the BMW Sirius module in the car and abandoned the A2DP AUX in module. I think I read somewhere that there is an AUX volume adjustment that may be in the hidden menu possibly? If that is the case, this might be why you are getting less sound from the A2DP device.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't being cleared. All the A2DP streaming that I do is from phone/MP3 players to BT headphones/speakers, never to the AUX input of the Z. Since there's no loss of low end in those situations, your problem is most likely not be due to A2DP compression.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I bought a small recharagable A2DP that plugs into my AUX so I could stream from my phone to it, and I had almost no volume at all. I then decided to install the BMW Sirius module in the car and abandoned the A2DP AUX in module. I think I read somewhere that there is an AUX volume adjustment that may be in the hidden menu possibly? If that is the case, this might be why you are getting less sound from the A2DP device.
Weird thing is when plugged from phone to AUX sounds fine, however take that same AUX off the phone and plug it into the A2DP adaptor and all the low end is gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Weird thing is when plugged from phone to AUX sounds fine, however take that same AUX off the phone and plug it into the A2DP adaptor and all the low end is gone.
Yea, I gave up and just installed Sirius, the latest version of the factory module for our cars is out (version 3 I believe and made by Alpine) and it was on sale for $245.......... plug and play, quick install.

John
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Blackpony
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528iAT Dinan 2, Z4 3.0i

Garage List
New Z4 R (2005) owner with the Business Radio CD inoperative.
Will the Sirius fatory module work with the AUX input BMW pigtail?
Where does the Sirius unit attach?
Will the remote CD changer work with these units?
What is the Sirius part number and where is the $245 sale? Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Looks like you're not the only one:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780376

I've been looking for a Bluetooth A2DP solution for my car too. I got this FM transmitter thing that works "OK", and it has a line-out, but it sounds like crap too. Would love a good solution, so I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0