ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Larman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4

Wiper Well Drain; Missing Part?

Hi, I could use some help identifying a part. Beneath the wiper scuttle on the left side is a cavity for water to collect and drain. My LHD Z4 2006 simply has a hole in the metal about one inch in diameter and the water drains directly into the engine compartment. There's no duct/plumbing to direct the water to the bottom of the engine compartment. I've checked with a few BMW dealers and they were useless. If you have an E85 I would appreciate if you would check your car and let me know if something inserts in the hole and directs the water properly. For reference, the hole is directly behind the Positive jumper terminal. You should be able to easily feel the drain hole (or some part attached to it) without removing anything e.g. the scuttle. The digram shows parts 8 and 9 and I think those might be the drain. BMW calls those parts a condensation drain and the BMW parts guys guessed that was for the air conditioner. Unfortunately it's a pricy special order (not returnable) and I want to get it right. Thanks for checking, I appreciate the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

There is a rubber "flapper" style drain cover that fits in that hole...

Tried to find it in realoem.com as well as I know what it looks like... but couldn't find it.

Mine is still inserted in the hole... but it's a debris trap like the drain plug on the convertible top well drains that lead to the top motor being "drowned".

It looks like a short plumbing fixture 90 degree connection joint.... appropriately sized for the drain hole. It has a flapper valve that allows water to drain out.

Mine was filled with crap effectively blocking it... not surprisingly given where it receives the drainage water from.

There is absolutely no downside to not replacing it... as the water drains down the front of the firewall/bulwark even if fitted....
      05-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Larman
United_States
Rep

Thank you Clearancediver, I appreciate your feedback. I thought someone might have removed the part for the reason you mentioned - it gets clogged up. I'm going to try going without the part. Hopefully at freeway speed, wind won't channel up the hole and push water into other areas under the scuttle. The issue I had (just bought the car) was water drained out the wiper drain hole, down the firewall and into the hole intended for the Sound Generator. The left side of car filled with water after weeks of rain. My engine model (N52) did not come with the Sound Generator (tube that passes engine roar into the interior through the firewall). Without the Sound Generator, the associated hole in the firewall normally has a rubber plug (referred to by BMW as a Blind Plug). Mine was missing that plug. Of course, I investigated all the common water intrusion issues only to find the wipe drain directing water through the firewall and into the car. I'm still shaking my head. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
There is a rubber "flapper" style drain cover that fits in that hole...

Tried to find it in realoem.com as well as I know what it looks like... but couldn't find it.

Mine is still inserted in the hole... but it's a debris trap like the drain plug on the convertible top well drains that lead to the top motor being "drowned".

It looks like a short plumbing fixture 90 degree connection joint.... appropriately sized for the drain hole. It has a flapper valve that allows water to drain out.

Mine was filled with crap effectively blocking it... not surprisingly given where it receives the drainage water from.

There is absolutely no downside to not replacing it... as the water drains down the front of the firewall/bulwark even if fitted....
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4961

Item no. 8?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

I've an '04 with the sound tube... so didn't have that problem.

Blanking plugs are inserted for a reason as you found out. That issue would never have come up in my thought process.... as mine was "plugged".
      05-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

I think the part you are looking for is...:

Water drain, left
      05-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Larman
United_States
Rep

Thanks for looking into it but that's the rectangle drain that goes into the fender.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Just went out to the garage and looked my 2006 E85 M
By feeling aft of the positive jumper lug and up under the windshield cowl I was able to find the opening you described. No drain tube on my vehicle, just an open orifice as in your photo.

I have found the part number that corresponds to items number 8 & 9 in your diagram.

Number 8: 64116916761
Available several online suppliers, like Turner Motorsport for under $15.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

Number 9: 64116915666
Available several online suppliers, like Turner Motorsport for under $10.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

You are right... diagram item 8 isn't what I thought I was referring to....
      05-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
Larman
United_States
Rep

Thanks Emmrbee and Clearancediver, awesome feedback - great community. My guess is if Emmrbee's car is also missing the part, at some point, it was removed intentionally. Maybe that's a work-around to avoid clogging. I'm thinking of leaving the drain off (let it drain out the hole). If I install the drain, I'm not too keen on cleaning the part should it get clogged down the road. In the process of removing the scuttle, I broke two fastener stays (plastic-welded to the scuttle). I glued them back but I'm not sure if they, or the other fastener stays, would handle another removal of the scuttle. I appreciate the help. Be well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larman View Post
My engine model (N52) did not come with the Sound Generator (tube that passes engine roar into the interior through the firewall). Without the Sound Generator, the associated hole in the firewall normally has a rubber plug (referred to by BMW as a Blind Plug). Mine was missing that plug.
Funny story - doing a bit of engine work on my daughter's TSX this weekend but was interrupted by a 4' rat snake in the engine compartment. That was exciting. My wife asked if there was anyway for a snake to get into the passenger compartment and I told her "no, all the openings in the firewall have something in them to keep water out".

And then I remembered this post.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
wdb4721.50
      05-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Larman
United_States
Rep

I love it. That is a great ending to the story. Need to make sure all the plugs are in the firewall to keep the water and snakes out! Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0