ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Headlamp Problem

With all lights turned off, I have a "light out" icon on the dash. If both headlamps are turned on and are lit, the icon is extinguished.
If I turn the headlamps on and off a few times, one of the headlamps won't ignite. The headlamp that doesn't ignite switches from left to right, and back again, and occasionally neither headlamp will ignite. All other lights appear to be working appropriately.
So, what should I replace first, or what is the most likely culprit? Thanks for any help!!!
Ted
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I did my HID lamps and igniters all at the same time. As long as you're in there do the small bulbs too.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Jeeees, wdb, i was looking for someone to talk me out of buying the igniters too, not to make me think it's a good idea ;~). Are the ballasts sufficiently bullet-proof to keep them out of the equation? The "small bulbs" are a particularly good idea. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Jeeees, wdb, i was looking for someone to talk me out of buying the igniters too, not to make me think it's a good idea ;~). Are the ballasts sufficiently bullet-proof to keep them out of the equation? The "small bulbs" are a particularly good idea. Thanks!!
Ballasts are not easy to access, whereas igniters come off with bulbs. I wouldn't bother touching the ballasts.
      03-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, it looks like the strategy will be to order one igniter and those smaller bulbs, and post the results after they are installed. Thanks for your advice!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Soooo....replaced an igniter on the passenger side. Turned on the lights and both headlamps lit. Left them on for 5 minutes, turned them off, turned them on and neither one lit. Did someone suggest those pesky ballasts?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Since both the left and right lights are having intermittent problems, it seems unlikely that a component in the headlight is failing since the parts are totally independent of each other for the left to right headlight. Sounds more like the LCM or the wiring harness. I'd use a schematic and make sure the voltage is making it to the headlight when it is failing. Or as others have suggested, just throw new parts at it, and hope those parts fix it.

The ballast plugs in from under the headlight assembly with the pins pointing straight upward. I've seen the seal on these fail and allow water in the connector causing corrosion, but this is rare and is usually from a front end accident where the headlight was jarred.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, i spoke to a rep from Lightwerkz. His suggestion was to start with new lamps (bulbs) and see the results. Happily, I did not get the impression that he was simply choosing a self-serving solution. A pair of Philips Extreme Vision Gen 2 are on the way. I would not have been so eager to buy the bulbs had I not found a GE bulb when I pulled things apart. May be a perfectly wonderful bulb, but I haven't read many GE recommendations on the boards. Should also mention that way back when this issue started, the symptom was that one or the other headlamp would not ignite while the other one did. Finally degenerated to neither headlamp lighting after they had been on for a bit. I'm guessing that the new lamps won't fix the problem, but next up will be dusting off the multimeter (thanks Pungo!!). Am I correct that the cable that connects to the igniter originates at the ballast? Thanks, again!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Am I correct that the cable that connects to the igniter originates at the ballast? Thanks, again!!
Yep, there's a large 8 pin connector on the back of the headlamp that supplies power to the ballast, then the ballast has cable that plugs into the igniter.

There also a small connector on the back of the headlight for the auto height motor.

Don't be surprised if many of the wires behind the projector have crumbling insulation from heat. Just paint on some liquid electrical tape.

Over time the projector lens builds up a hazy film on the lens which dramatically reduces the light output.
Unfortunately this requires removing the projector assembly and wiping off the film with a microfiber.
It's pretty easy to remove as there are just 4 nuts holding the projector in.

I'm pretty familiar with these headlights since I've retrofitted a bunch of duel AE for people.

Name:  IMG_1726.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  461.4 KB

wiped one side
Name:  IMG_2880.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  393.7 KB

Name:  before after.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  343.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2887.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  101.2 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I've replaced both headlights bulbs with D2S Philips 85122XV C1 Extreme Vision Gen 2. Both headlights light up, AND re-light after having been on for a bit, then turned off. I'm declaring victory in the headlight war.

HOWEVER, I still have an bulb icon that lights on the dash:
Turn ignition to pos 2 and the icon lights.
Turn lights to parking lights and icon remains lit.
Turn lights to headlights and icon goes off.
Turn lights off and the icon stays off.
New bulbs and igniters have been installed. Are we down to the ballasts (RealOEM = control unit xenon light)?
Pungo, the wiring looks fine with no failing insulation. BTW, the pics of the modified Angel Eyes look spectacular!!
Thanks for any insight, guys!!
Appreciate 0