ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #67
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Thanks for the update and link to the review. Poly transmission mounts only really is a bad idea. Sounded like a tractor to me!

It's interesting that stiffening both engine and transmission mounts tames the NVH a bit. Good info!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #68
tribe
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know the difference between the E46 M3 transmission mount vs. the Z4M transmission mount? Looking at Realoem & Tischer, they are different part numbers:
Z4M: 22316799331
E46 M3: 22322282340

I saw a thread (can't find it now) where a 1M owner compared different trans mounts, including OE and aftermarket. The end conclusion was the E46 M3 trans mount was a good upgrade over the stock mount and was very good for NVH.

*Update*
Just looked up the part# for the 1M trans mount: 22316799331 - same as the Z4M. Interesting.. !

Last edited by tribe; 05-11-2013 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: New info
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #69
tribe
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Here is the 1M post comparing the tranny mounts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656753
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #70
ajw45
Private First Class
28
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Added the Vibratechnics engine mounts (street) and the Rogue tranny mounts last week. No new noises or vibrations that I can discern and the shifting feels WAY better. Things overall feel a little bit tighter but I did still get the 1-2 grind once at the auto-x over the weekend so that hasn't been completely resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #71
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Anyone know the difference between the E46 M3 transmission mount vs. the Z4M transmission mount? Looking at Realoem & Tischer, they are different part numbers:
Z4M: 22316799331
E46 M3: 22322282340

I saw a thread (can't find it now) where a 1M owner compared different trans mounts, including OE and aftermarket. The end conclusion was the E46 M3 trans mount was a good upgrade over the stock mount and was very good for NVH.

*Update*
Just looked up the part# for the 1M trans mount: 22316799331 - same as the Z4M. Interesting.. !
Interesting indeed! I did not know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Here is the 1M post comparing the tranny mounts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656753
Good resource, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Added the Vibratechnics engine mounts (street) and the Rogue tranny mounts last week. No new noises or vibrations that I can discern and the shifting feels WAY better. Things overall feel a little bit tighter but I did still get the 1-2 grind once at the auto-x over the weekend so that hasn't been completely resolved.
Thank you for the update! Any issues finding 2nd from 3rd--did denial of 2nd from 3rd improve?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #72
Aries326
Major
Aries326's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Thanks for posting this up! After following this thread, I had R&E transmission mounts installed. My Z shifts much better! Time to get the CVD mod done!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #73
ajw45
Private First Class
28
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

3-2 seems easier but I haven't had it on the track yet to really know for certain. I used to get denied or grinding pretty consistently once the tranny got hot on the track but on the street it's hard to say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Any issues finding 2nd from 3rd--did denial of 2nd from 3rd improve?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #74
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
48
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Bumping this sticky from the dead.

Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...). Shifting on a short test drive feels better, some noticeable increase in noise and vibration under light loads in the 3,000-3,500rpm range. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll see if it stays positive over the next couple weeks when I can drive the car in dry conditions. Call me crazy but it even seems like it helped to slightly reduce driveline sloppiness, like the powertrain isn't wobbling around as much when going on/off throttle.

I probably would have been as happy without the cups on the RE mounts as you can tell just by feeling them that they're significantly more solid than the oem setup. If I end up being unhappy about the cups I guess I can always pull them back out and plunk them in the e30.

I'm probably going to try the VibraTechnics motor mounts in the spring, once I'm done rebuilding the e30 motor, see how I feel about the combination. I see most people are commenting that the VT and RE combo actually has less vibrations than oem and RE combo?
__________________
1990 332i 5 speed (OBD2 S52 Swap)
2018 VW Golf R (6spd manual/copper orange metallic)
2008 KTM SuperDuke 990
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #75
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
Bumping this sticky from the dead.

Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...). Shifting on a short test drive feels better, some noticeable increase in noise and vibration under light loads in the 3,000-3,500rpm range. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll see if it stays positive over the next couple weeks when I can drive the car in dry conditions. Call me crazy but it even seems like it helped to slightly reduce driveline sloppiness, like the powertrain isn't wobbling around as much when going on/off throttle.

I probably would have been as happy without the cups on the RE mounts as you can tell just by feeling them that they're significantly more solid than the oem setup. If I end up being unhappy about the cups I guess I can always pull them back out and plunk them in the e30.

I'm probably going to try the VibraTechnics motor mounts in the spring, once I'm done rebuilding the e30 motor, see how I feel about the combination. I see most people are commenting that the VT and RE combo actually has less vibrations than oem and RE combo?
A long time since this thread was bounced.

Seems the issue is one of both engine movement and transmission moving the drivetrain around. Addressing that on both ends seems to stabilize and reduce the overall vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #76
yousefnjr
Lieutenant Colonel
1474
Rep
1,922
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4MR, 19 i3S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...)...
I feel your pain brother. The upper nut on the passenger side mount, gray hairs were had trying to tighten that sucker down...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #77
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
48
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I think I overtightened the nuts.... I spoke with RE and they told me that it does make a difference to have it too tight, they also VERY strongly advised removing the enforcer cups, so I'm just gonna tackle this whole thing again... maybe tonight.

I think I'll try removing the entire bracket from the trans this time by pulling the 4 e-torx bolts out. I'm thinking
1: Assemble everything off the car, tighten the top nuts to spec and oriented to line up with the bottom crossmember.
2: Remove crossmember, install the top bracket onto trans with pre-torqued mounts on it
3: Install crossmember and heat shield.
4: Profit?

Motor mounts still planned for springtime maybe. We'll see.
__________________
1990 332i 5 speed (OBD2 S52 Swap)
2018 VW Golf R (6spd manual/copper orange metallic)
2008 KTM SuperDuke 990
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #78
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
119
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Perth, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I feel your pain brother. The upper nut on the passenger side mount, gray hairs were had trying to tighten that sucker down...
Tell me about it! I recently installed the UUC black mounts and it required some serious hand/finger contortion to get it done. I love the more solid shifting but I'm not overly happy about the increased NVH. They are staying in regardless!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #79
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
48
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Took a couple days to get to it, apparently part of my vibration came from my motor mount bolts on the passenger side coming loose. Best guess is it happened during trans mount install, cause it was fine before, but vibrated on the post install test drive.

So that was a fiasco, I learned of the motor mounts when my vanos pressure line blew up the day I made my last post. It's all fixed up now but it still had vibration issues.

I re&re'd the mounts again this morning, for the record removing the entire bracket is the way to go. I was able to pull the top bracket, mounts, and crossmember as one piece. I removed the cups and assembled it all on the bench then took the lower crossmember back off, installed the upper bracket with mounts attached. Following that you just pop the crossmember over the lower studs and bolt it up.

TLDR: rogue tranny mounts are good on their own, but do not use the enforcers. The extra noise and vibration is just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #80
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn
Took a couple days to get to it, apparently part of my vibration came from my motor mount bolts on the passenger side coming loose. Best guess is it happened during trans mount install, cause it was fine before, but vibrated on the post install test drive.

So that was a fiasco, I learned of the motor mounts when my vanos pressure line blew up the day I made my last post. It's all fixed up now but it still had vibration issues.

I re&re'd the mounts again this morning, for the record removing the entire bracket is the way to go. I was able to pull the top bracket, mounts, and crossmember as one piece. I removed the cups and assembled it all on the bench then took the lower crossmember back off, installed the upper bracket with mounts attached. Following that you just pop the crossmember over the lower studs and bolt it up.

TLDR: rogue tranny mounts are good on their own, but do not use the enforcers. The extra noise and vibration is just not worth it.
Thx!

Good info and updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #81
David70
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
773
Rep
1,941
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
I think I overtightened the nuts.... I spoke with RE and they told me that it does make a difference to have it too tight, they also VERY strongly advised removing the enforcer cups, so I'm just gonna tackle this whole thing again... maybe tonight.

I think I'll try removing the entire bracket from the trans this time by pulling the 4 e-torx bolts out. I'm thinking
1: Assemble everything off the car, tighten the top nuts to spec and oriented to line up with the bottom crossmember.
2: Remove crossmember, install the top bracket onto trans with pre-torqued mounts on it
3: Install crossmember and heat shield.
4: Profit?

Motor mounts still planned for springtime maybe. We'll see.
The part in bold, assuming you are missing a "not" or "against"? Any update on your change?
__________________
2006 Z4M Coupe - Stromung exhaust, ZHP knob, stubby antenna, clutch delay delete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #82
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
1401
Rep
11,113
Posts

Drives: Porsche Cayman
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The part in bold, assuming you are missing a "not" or "against"? Any update on your change?
It is correct as written.
The cups should really be used on a dedicated track car only.

They transmit a lot of NVH and do not provide much benefit.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Vanne878.50

      01-15-2016, 02:46 AM   #83
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The part in bold, assuming you are missing a "not" or "against"? Any update on your change?
It is correct as written.
The cups should really be used on a dedicated track car only.

They transmit a lot of NVH and do not provide much benefit.
Yep. I'd really stick with Rogue neoprene only unless it's a race car or track car only. Even then the benefits are marginal vs. improved motor mounts.
Appreciate 1
Vanne878.50

      01-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #84
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
48
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yep. I'd really stick with Rogue neoprene only unless it's a race car or track car only. Even then the benefits are marginal vs. improved motor mounts.
Yep. I still want the improved motor mounts but our awful Canadian dollar is killing us right now. The cost of everything has risen by 30+% in the last year! Update on the rogue mounts? They're great. I never notice any negatives to having just them installed and see no reason why I would bother to re-install the enforcer cups. Leave them out, they add bucket loads of NVH that just aren't worth it on a street car.
__________________
1990 332i 5 speed (OBD2 S52 Swap)
2018 VW Golf R (6spd manual/copper orange metallic)
2008 KTM SuperDuke 990
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #85
Vanne
Down Under!!
Vanne's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
879
Rep
3,567
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (4)

Ant reports on the AKG solid mounts? Track only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-e46-aluminum/



Or this Poly set? Track and fast road only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...yurethane-75d/

__________________
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC DIY Arial. Carma FF race exhaust. Cust. D///MK 6 Speed ultra SSK. CDV X. CSL 19" Rims. Apex 75mm kit. Stoptech brake lines. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW CS. SS sec1. 288/280. ECS power pulleys. Tillet B6Fxl. Sabelt.Varis. Brembo GT. ME STB. JB/Sachs Race SMFW .
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:01 AM   #86
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Ant reports on the AKG solid mounts? Track only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-e46-aluminum/



Or this Poly set? Track and fast road only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...yurethane-75d/

Based on the hard poly I had many years ago I'd expect a lot of NVH with both. Tractor like is the best description. On a stripped full track car these would be fine but for street use and enjoyment I'd look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #87
Intentional Brown Stain
Enlisted Member
Intentional Brown Stain's Avatar
16
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4 MC
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Bring this back from the dead. I saw this UUC NVH issue addressed on a m5 forum post:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...tml#post520390

Apparently, pre-loading and over torquing are 2 known issue of NVH on UUC (mainly pre-loading). Any first hand experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #88
Finnegan
Dog Listener
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
7,767
Posts

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Teaching the dog to slalom

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Brown Stain View Post
Bring this back from the dead. I saw this UUC NVH issue addressed on a m5 forum post:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...tml#post520390

Apparently, pre-loading and over torquing are 2 known issue of NVH on UUC (mainly pre-loading). Any first hand experience?
I haven't tried any different install techniques to really comment on how much of a difference that makes. I will say that anywhere I've gone with poly vs. rubber there's an small to moderate increase in noise. My FCABS, RTABS, Diff, etc. are all 85 durometer or harder now years on. Diff whine is noticeable. But not unpleasant.

The trans mount just happens to be right where any noise goes to center cabin. And it turns out that motor mounts, not trans mounts, seem to have more impact on shifting issues, so I've keep neoprene for the trans application area. Ymmd
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST