ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #45
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchandok View Post
I had a Lightbulb Error show up on the dash today. Seems like it is one of the angle eyes (passenger side). Is there a DIY out there to show an OEM replacement of the bulb? I've never worked on my car and would like to get into doing small stuff like this.

Or, is there any proven (long lasting) method of upgrading the angle eyes?

Thanks.
I am not sure if there was a DIY, but if you follow what I wrote up top, you should be good to go. If I recall correctly, it was pretty straight forward. Also, as noted, you couldn't just buy the bulb, unless that has changed. Or, look online to see if anyone just sells the bulb

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #46
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
I am not sure if there was a DIY, but if you follow what I wrote up top, you should be good to go. If I recall correctly, it was pretty straight forward. Also, as noted, you couldn't just buy the bulb, unless that has changed. Or, look online to see if anyone just sells the bulb
Hey BMW Maniac - I see you left a note for the drivers side headlight. What about the passengers side? Any idea how I can easily access the bulb + bracket that needs to be replaced? Also, to confirm, for the Halo bulb (in-board angel eye), the part number is 63 12 7 170 858, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #47
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Quote:
Hey BMW Maniac - I see you left a note for the drivers side headlight. What about the passengers side? Any idea how I can easily access the bulb + bracket that needs to be replaced? Also, to confirm, for the Halo bulb (in-board angel eye), the part number is 63 12 7 170 858, correct?
I assume there is an access panel on the passenger side. I sold my Z4M a couple years ago. I think that is correct, but I havent checked realoem.com. all i know is that the driver side was relatively easy
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #48
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
I had a Lightbulb Error show up on the dash today. Seems like it is one of the angle eyes (passenger side). Is there a DIY out there to show an OEM replacement of the bulb? I've never worked on my car and would like to get into doing small stuff like this.

Or, is there any proven (long lasting) method of upgrading the angle eyes?

Thanks.
I just replaced both of mine yesterday. Yes there are access panels on both sides. Part numbers are the same for DS and PS; 63127170858. Replace both while you are doing it.

I made other comments in this thread:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949497

I'm still researching alternative bulbs. Here's what I know so far:
  • The factory unit is a bulb in a housing; the housing will need minor modification to allow insertion/removal of just the bulb
  • Simply using a higher wattage halogen bulb has been shown to melt the housing
  • LEDs will throw a 'light out' code that must be programmed out
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #49
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I just replaced both of mine yesterday. Yes there are access panels on both sides. Part numbers are the same for DS and PS; 63127170858. Replace both while you are doing it.

I made other comments in this thread:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949497

I'm still researching alternative bulbs. Here's what I know so far:
  • The factory unit is a bulb in a housing; the housing will need minor modification to allow insertion/removal of just the bulb
  • Simply using a higher wattage halogen bulb has been shown to melt the housing
  • LEDs will throw a 'light out' code that must be programmed out
You might find these links useful:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970661

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=16

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724153

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=8

http://www.zeleznik-klein.com/z4/fixit/drl/index.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post4774314

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400478812293...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6K-Xenon-Whi...tRgXMD&vxp=mtr

It's on my to-do list.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #50
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Thanks for the links! I had seen most of them -- but not all of them. You've clearly been doing your research!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #51
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Dual LED AE $375 installed (not including shipping):

Name:  Close shade 2.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  186.7 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #52
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Dual LED AE $375 installed (not including shipping):

Attachment 1440685
Are these a plug and play fit into the e85 z4 M?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #53
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are these a plug and play fit into the e85 z4 M?
No plug and play available. You ship your headlights and they come back with the LEDs installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #54
Tlarkk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 and e368 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
No plug and play available. You ship your headlights and they come back with the LEDs installed.
Any possibility of sending the kit/supplies and a little instructions for self-installation?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #55
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlarkk View Post
Any possibility of sending the kit/supplies and a little instructions for self-installation?
It's not a simple DIY install since it requires some custom machine work and specialized tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #56
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

This site is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to you guys I bought the LED bulbs off ebay and gave it a go.

I was able to turn off the bulb out warning via turning off high beam monitoring using Carly BMW Android App.

The pictures don't do it justice at all. It is whiter and brighter in person. Pardon my messy garage .. doing a bathroom reno.

08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #57
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nicely done Mirko, that looks WAY better that the OE setup.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #58
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Nicely done Mirko, that looks WAY better that the OE setup.
Ditto!

I have similar LED bulbs in the garage for a while now, but just didn't have a chance to get to it yet
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #59
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlarkk View Post
It's not a simple DIY install since it requires some custom machine work and specialized tools.
Can you post the contact info for the AE install? Car's in the shop for a week or so anyway. What's the turnaround time?

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #60
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Can you post the contact info for the AE install? Car's in the shop for a week or so anyway. What's the turnaround time?
Since your info shows Canada, shipping will probably be expensive. You can calculate shipping both ways to zipcode 20833 and see if it's worth it to you. Turnaround is about 3 days not including shipping time. PM me if you want additional details.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #61
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko
This site is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to you guys I bought the LED bulbs off ebay and gave it a go.

I was able to turn off the bulb out warning via turning off high beam monitoring using Carly BMW Android App.

The pictures don't do it justice at all. It is whiter and brighter in person. Pardon my messy garage .. doing a bathroom reno.

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...psde4meldo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps9qmibrct.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps1lspk4qq.jpg[/IMG]
Followed your lead and installed some LEDs over the weekend. The came out noticeably brighter than stock and were fairly easy to install. As mentioned before, I didn't need to dremel.... just wiggled the stock bulb back and forth till it popped out. That motion created enough deformation in the housing to slip the LED bulbs back in.

Has anybody else who's done this noticed how blue they appear? My bulbs are definitely white but look blue when installed... especially compared to the new AEs in my X3.

edited... Just saw Amaryasira's led AE post, most have missed the section on getting a bulb with <5000... I'll double check mine and possibly reorder.
      08-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #62
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

I noticed that both your turn indicator lights were on, even though only one side was changed to led. When I tried this, only the side with the led had the turn indicator on. Was this resolved through programming?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #63
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

I didn't have any issues like that. I only coded the car after both bulbs were installed and both lights worked throughout.

Might be a bad connection somewhere or bulb issue you are having. does it go normal with both led bulbs installed?
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #64
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Quote:
I didn't have any issues like that. I only coded the car after both bulbs were installed and both lights worked throughout.

Might be a bad connection somewhere or bulb issue you are having. does it go normal with both led bulbs installed?
I didn't try the other side coz having the turn signal on was a huge turn off already... could it be that the turn signal was on because I did not reinstall the back cover of the head lamp?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #65
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
I didn't try the other side coz having the turn signal on was a huge turn off already... could it be that the turn signal was on because I did not reinstall the back cover of the head lamp?
The turn signal's were only on in one of the pictures cause I turned the light switch to the first position. Otherwise my car is coded to show only the angle eyes as the day time running lights. In North America we are mandated to have the turn signals on when the lights are on. In Europe and I suspect Singapore you don't have to have them on. Did your turn signal lights turn on after installing the LED bulb or were they an option you could turn on before?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #66
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
The turn signal's were only on in one of the pictures cause I turned the light switch to the first position. Otherwise my car is coded to show only the angle eyes as the day time running lights. In North America we are mandated to have the turn signals on when the lights are on. In Europe and I suspect Singapore you don't have to have them on. Did your turn signal lights turn on after installing the LED bulb or were they an option you could turn on before?
Your North America statement is 1/2 correct - United States do NOT require DRL

My guess as why the parking lights were on after installing LED has to do with coding. BMW's code may turn on the parking light of that side if it detects a bulb out on the angel eye of that side as a safety feature. You want something to light up on both sides of a car so it doesn't confuse people - that it's a car and not a motorcycle. Try coding out monitoring on the angel eye to see if this is still an issue?
Appreciate 0