ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Sticky Steering Ring Fix

Man - I always thought I was lucky and never had the Z4 sticky steering - even though I read about it before I bought one. I thought it was at slow speeds only and so warmed this car up and drove it in circles in the lot before I bought it looking for it and nothing. And nothing for year of ownership.

I got my alternator and drive belts put in earlier this year and finally drove it to work on one of the warm days we had last week. It got to 85 that day and I decided to take the long and curvy road home - and man my car felt possessed. I was not sure what was going on and then got to remembering that and googled it and read about the grease zerk trick, but then stumbled onto the adjustment ring German post on the matter. I had never seen that before.

https://www.zroadster.com/forum/thre...5#post-1943088

I took this on this weekend an no joke - it is not easy on the US cars. It is only 2 bolts to loosen - but they are buried and hard to get to - but I will say I think this fixed it 100%. I'll have to wait for another super hot day to know for sure, but I think I had been feeling the effects of this for awhile now as the steering felt MUCH better even on the cool day yesterday when I tested it. Seemed to have manners again. I felt it was even dangerous to drive the way it was it was so stiff and clunky when hot, but this fix seems to be spot on and worth the PITA it was to do it.

Take it from me - you have to disconnect the battery anyway - so just take the drivers seat out from the beginning. You are going to probably spend some time down under there doing it, so get comfy.

My front one was situated where the only place the allen wrench would go in, was up against something that would not let me loosen it. I had to cut the end off and then bend the allen wrench enough to give me clearance. Should be a 20 minute fix if not for the placement struggle.

If you are fighting the sticky steering and not enjoying the drive you once did - I highly recommend give this a shot. Not a hard fix - just frustrating for sure.
      05-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Im glad BMW in their infinite wisdom went with good ol hydraulic steering on the M. No complaints here.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
, but then stumbled onto the adjustment ring German post on the matter. I had never seen that before.

Yes this fix has been developed on the german z4 forum 5 years ago, but it also has been in the official BMW workshop manual since end 2014 or so.
So BMW apparantly reads those forums
They call it a fine adjustment.
Any BMW dealer can do this job (if they know their trade)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Translation, please

Quote:
Man - I always thought I was lucky and never had the Z4 sticky steering - even though I read about it before I bought one. I thought it was at slow speeds only and so warmed this car up and drove it in circles in the lot before I bought it looking for it and nothing. And nothing for year of ownership.

I got my alternator and drive belts put in earlier this year and finally drove it to work on one of the warm days we had last week. It got to 85 that day and I decided to take the long and curvy road home - and man my car felt possessed. I was not sure what was going on and then got to remembering that and googled it and read about the grease zerk trick, but then stumbled onto the adjustment ring German post on the matter. I had never seen that before.

I took this on this weekend an no joke - it is not easy on the US cars. It is only 2 bolts to loosen - but they are buried and hard to get to - but I will say I think this fixed it 100%. I'll have to wait for another super hot day to know for sure, but I think I had been feeling the effects of this for awhile now as the steering felt MUCH better even on the cool day yesterday when I tested it. Seemed to have manners again. I felt it was even dangerous to drive the way it was it was so stiff and clunky when hot, but this fix seems to be spot on and worth the PITA it was to do it.

Take it from me - you have to disconnect the battery anyway - so just take the drivers seat out from the beginning. You are going to probably spend some time down under there doing it, so get comfy.

My front one was situated where the only place the allen wrench would go in, was up against something that would not let me loosen it. I had to cut the end off and then bend the allen wrench enough to give me clearance. Should be a 20 minute fix if not for the placement struggle.

If you are fighting the sticky steering and not enjoying the drive you once did - I highly recommend give this a shot. Not a hard fix - just frustrating for sure.
Unfortunately, my '04 is showing these symptoms. I have a general idea of how to fix the problem, but concise instruction would be helpful. I've seen videos of this fix, but they were blurry and shaky. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
ALSO, it appears to me that metal shavings might be left in the steering tube after drilling. Wouldn't that cause a problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
Unfortunately, my '04 is showing these symptoms. I have a general idea of how to fix the problem, but concise instruction would be helpful. I've seen videos of this fix, but they were blurry and shaky. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
ALSO, it appears to me that metal shavings might be left in the steering tube after drilling. Wouldn't that cause a problem?
I didn't do the grease zerk fix at all - I did the Tension ring adjustment and that seems to be the fix it for most.

So I started with this one:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...y-Steering-Fix

Which lead me to this one:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...78250&start=15

I can't seem to find the link to the german forum that found this fix, but they had some decent pics. The fix is 10 year old child easy to do.....the problem is where it is located. It is way under the dash and very tough to get to. Unless you are a little monkey - take my word for it and just unhook your battery and take your front seat out (no need to take the seat belt off - just stretch it out and sit the seat right next to the car) so you can relax and lay on your back while you cuss the galaxy as you try and get that allen wrench into those 2 damn bolts. I bough a few at harbor freight so I could bent the piss out of them to get them where they would fit in AND leave me with room to loosen the bolt. It sucked for me. If it was on a bench - it would be a 3 minute fix - the bear is getting at them. You can see them easily - just getting to them. If they were a regular bolt it would be so much easier.

Good luck!

PS - I found it - google translate will translate for you, but the pics kind of tell the story.

https://www.zroadster.com/forum/thre....59821/page-75
      10-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't do the grease zerk fix at all - I did the Tension ring adjustment and that seems to be the fix it for most.

So I started with this one:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...y-Steering-Fix

Which lead me to this one:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...78250&start=15

I can't seem to find the link to the german forum that found this fix, but they had some decent pics. The fix is 10 year old child easy to do.....the problem is where it is located. It is way under the dash and very tough to get to. Unless you are a little monkey - take my word for it and just unhook your battery and take your front seat out (no need to take the seat belt off - just stretch it out and sit the seat right next to the car) so you can relax and lay on your back while you cuss the galaxy as you try and get that allen wrench into those 2 damn bolts. I bough a few at harbor freight so I could bent the piss out of them to get them where they would fit in AND leave me with room to loosen the bolt. It sucked for me. If it was on a bench - it would be a 3 minute fix - the bear is getting at them. You can see them easily - just getting to them. If they were a regular bolt it would be so much easier.

Good luck!

PS - I found it - google translate will translate for you, but the pics kind of tell the story.

https://www.zroadster.com/forum/thre....59821/page-75
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! I knew I had seen this before, but just couldn't find it. You are a BFFL!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! I knew I had seen this before, but just couldn't find it. You are a BFFL!!
Don't thank me till your done........cause you'll be cussing me when your under there!
      10-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't thank me till your done........cause you'll be cussing me when your under there!
If my trusted mechanic can read, perhaps I'll just give him a go at it. At my age, I just don't have the flexibility needed. Besides, it can now wait 'til next year. No more 90+ degrees this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If my trusted mechanic can read, perhaps I'll just give him a go at it. At my age, I just don't have the flexibility needed. Besides, it can now wait 'til next year. No more 90+ degrees this year.
I'm 50 - and I still managed, but it was not a joy. Like I said - would be super easy if the access was there. In fact if it was I would go back in and tighten mine back up just a shade. I errored on the "too much" side so I would NEVER have to do it again, but wish I would have went 50-75% of what I did. It is still LOADS better - even better than before I noticed the sticking, but maybe about 10% looser than I'd like. I'm used to it now, but the first few aggressive drives took me a little adjustment to get used to it again.
      06-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, my trusted mechanic came through and did the grease zerk fix. But the bad news is it didn't work.
Next step, back to my trusted mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, my trusted mechanic came through and did the grease zerk fix. But the bad news is it didn't work.
Next step, back to my trusted mechanic.
He put yet more grease in the steering system and EUREKA VIOLA !!!! It worked. As a previous thread noted, it may not be quite perfect, perhaps 90%, but no more notchyness. I can now cruise down the hiway with only one hand on the wheel. Long distance driving is now a pleasure!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
GGGGOAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i M Sport

So I just picked up an 06 Z4 3.0i this past Tuesday. Drove it 45 miles home with the top down and LOVED it. It sat outside Tuesday night/Wednesday day (90+ degrees). Got in it to drive to have it inspected and walla! The sticky steering problem! Guess this will be the first fix I do to it!

Tim
Severn, MD
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGGOAT View Post
So I just picked up an 06 Z4 3.0i this past Tuesday. Drove it 45 miles home with the top down and LOVED it. It sat outside Tuesday night/Wednesday day (90+ degrees). Got in it to drive to have it inspected and walla! The sticky steering problem! Guess this will be the first fix I do to it!

Tim
Severn, MD

You've found the right place for finding solutions to Z4 problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hi all

There are several comments here that the steering ring fix is documented by bmw as an authorized way to address sticky steering.

I have called my local dealer here in Canada and the dealer in Fort Myers where my car came from and they both claim to know nothing of this. Can anyone point me to something official from bmw on this so I can show them that there is a procedure and here are the details of the “fine adjustment”?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
thrak410
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

My question is, how do you know how far to spin the ring? I did it to mine last year, but I may have gone too far and it came back this year... or perhaps I didn't go far enough?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak410 View Post
My question is, how do you know how far to spin the ring? I did it to mine last year, but I may have gone too far and it came back this year... or perhaps I didn't go far enough?
If there is an official BMW repair bulletin / procedure to address hot weather sticky steering, and we can get to see it, that and other questions should be addressed there.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #17
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If there is an official BMW repair bulletin / procedure to address hot weather sticky steering, and we can get to see it, that and other questions should be addressed there.
Like I said, it's been in ISTA for about the last 6-7 years:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
it also has been in the official BMW workshop manual since end 2014 or so.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-20-2021 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, it's been in TIS for about the last 6-7 years:
I know and thanks.

But I have spoken to two BMW dealers in two countries today and they both say this repair does not exist. Do you perhaps have a BMW reference number that I can throw at them so they can (along with a good strong cup of coffee lol) look this up and get familiar with it?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Ah ha! Would this be it my friend:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...00725&start=45
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #20
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
But I have spoken to two BMW dealers in two countries today and they both say this repair does not exist.
Now you know which bmw dealers you should avoid....
I don't work in the automotive business, but I would die of shame if a customer would tell me things about my own professional expertise that I didn't know
Especially if that information just floats around on the internet....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Now you know which bmw dealers you should avoid....
I don't work in the automotive business, but I would die of shame if a customer would tell me things about my own professional expertise that I didn't know
Especially if that information just floats around on the internet....
Well I think I have it. Let me see if I can get it to float it’s way to this board. Stand by for my next post and let me know if I have found it. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #22
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Okay so here is what I have found. As I understand it, this procedure is what needs to be done, except that you do not remove the steering column from the car:

Last edited by Huz-Z; 09-20-2021 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0