ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

2019 Bmw Z4 First Drive

BMW has effectively transformed the Z4 into a true, high-performance sports car

https://driving.ca/bmw/z4/reviews/ro...ve-2019-bmw-z4

LISBON, Portugal — When BMW introduced the Z3 in 1996, it was a big departure for the German company. At the time, the automaker was known primarily for making sober and stately sedans, but the Z3 was instead a low-slung roadster with an elongated hood, an abbreviated trunk, a rear-set cockpit and a soft top. In other words, it was the antithesis of anything else found in a BMW showroom. Performance, however, wasn’t high on its list of qualities — it was softly sprung and powered by a 138-horsepower inline-four.

The Z4 followed in 2002. It was larger, stiffer and more powerful, and it went through one generational upgrade that saw it lose its soft top for a folding aluminum roof that gave it a flowing silhouette, but also added weight. Z4 production ended with the 2016 model year.

Well, the Z4 is back for 2019. It’s entirely new, and it gets a serious boost in performance — more than any previous generation. The performance boost begins under the hood, where like on the previous generation, you’ll find two available engines. The Z4 sDrive 30i gets a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder that claims a not-too-shabby 255 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque — an increase of 13 horsepower and 37 lb.-ft. The Z4 M40i, tested here, gets a 3.0-litre turbocharged inline-six that pumps out 382 horsepower and 369 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s an increase of 47 horsepower compared to the outgoing Z4 35is, while torque is up 34 lb.-ft. It’s the most powerful engine to ever propel a Z4 model.

However, there’s sad news for save-the-manual proponents: The only transmission available is an eight-speed automatic. It is, however, a very slick-shifting unit, especially when you resort to shifting manually via the steering-wheel paddles. In auto mode, it shifts quickly enough to allow the M40i to zip from zero to 100 km/h in just 4.6 seconds. The 30i, on the other hand, accomplishes the feat in 5.4 seconds. Oh, and in true roadster form, the Z4 is rear-wheel-drive — and the M40i benefits from an electronically controlled limited-slip differential.

The cockpit is tidy, rich in finish and feel, and well-appointed. A revised iDrive infotainment system now displays a series of buttons in a sidebar to the left of the central 10.25-inch touchscreen, freeing the rest of the screen to display navigation and entertainment information, and car settings. The screen is configurable and you can swipe between different windows like on a tablet. A 10.25-inch TFT screen now resides ahead of the steering wheel, displaying engine and road speed and other drive-related info. The M40i also has an easy-to-read heads-up display.

The undercarriage has been reconfigured with very sporty handling in mind; wheel tracks have been widened by 98 and 57 millimetres front and rear, respectively, while wheelbase has been shortened by 26 millimetres to 2,470. Despite the shorter wheelbase, the Z4 is 85 millimetres longer than the previous generation. That contributes to a 50 per cent increase in trunk capacity, now at 281 litres, regardless of whether the lighter soft top is up or down. (The new top, by the way, opens or closes in 10 seconds at speeds up to 50 km/h). These revised dimensions give the new Z4 a broader, shorter footprint that, combined with a stiffer chassis and 50/50 weight distribution, make it a real corner carver.

And carve corners it does, as I discover after a navigation snafu had me wandering aimlessly along the twisty roads threading through Sintra-Cascais Natural Park, just west of Lisbon. Stopped at the side of the road on top of a mountain, my passenger — BMW Canada’s Rob Dexter — and I were inputting an address into the GPS navigation system when another Z4 blew past us in the opposite direction.

“They’re probably heading back to the hotel,” Dexter says. “We should try to catch up.”

“They went by pretty fast,” I reply. “I don’t think I’ll be able to catch them.”

“I’m sure you can,” he returns.

“Challenge accepted!”

A quick U-turn points us downhill, and a push of the Sport button on the centre console firms up and lowers the adaptive sport suspension by 10 millimetres, quickens throttle response, tweaks the M Sport differential to enhance cornering, and adds a bit of exhaust sound. I choose to shift manually as I chase down the other Z4, and the transmission follows paddle commands almost instantaneously.

While keeping an elevated yet guarded pace — Dexter’s view out the side window is of a steep drop — the M40i steers around corners with effortless precision, returning communicative, confidence-inspiring feedback at the wheel. The M40i pulls out of corners with seat-compressing power, its engine pulling with a lush rush of power while returning a rich, unmistakable inline-six hum. Suspension is firm and keeps the car level through turns, while the differential does its thing and enhances my steering inputs, especially in sharper corners where the M40i turns with scalpel-like precision without a hint of understeer. The brakes impress, too, as this downhill chase is particularly hard on the binders, which slow the car hard and repeatedly with no discernible fade.

We catch up to our colleagues at the bottom of the mountain, and drive casually back to the hotel in comfort mode, softening the suspension and providing a sporty yet compliant ride with no harshness. We also put the top up, which quiets the interior to a near coupe-like level.

The Z4 has all of the conceivable safety assists BMW has to offer, either as standard or part of an optional package. These include collision and pedestrian warning, automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go function, rear collision prevention and rear cross-traffic alert, among others. I inadvertently triggered one of the standard safety systems during the test drive and proving its worth, after being caught off-guard looking in the rear-view mirror as traffic ahead came to a quick stop. I reacted quickly enough to make the stop in time, but the automatic braking caught my error before I did and applied the brakes a fraction of a second before I got my foot on the pedal. If you scoff at these systems, no matter how simple or elaborate they are, they may one day change your mind.

BMW has dialed up the performance on the new Z4, especially on the M40i, turning it from a somewhat leisurely roadster into a true high-performance sports car with a removable top. Pricing will be announced later this month; the previous Z4 sDrive 35is, which is the closest in performance to the M40i, started at just below $78,000.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
3GFX722.50
StigJ331.50
      11-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

What is the M40i weight?
      11-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

3,400 lbs is what’s been reported.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

From the Globe and Mail:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...worked-bmw-z4/

For a company with a roadster heritage that reaches back to the 1930s, German automaker BMW has struggled to produce a fully balanced modern version.

From the peculiar Z1 30 years ago (never sold in Canada), to the popular Z3 a decade later, the company’s modern roadsters seemed to try just a little too hard yet not deliver quite enough of the reckless joy that roadsters are known for.

The 2019 Z4 appears to have finally gotten it right.

This is the third generation of the Z4 line, and it returns after a hiatus of two model years (and, interestingly, a development collaboration with Toyota). It was worth the wait. Balanced, remarkably powerful and – thank heavens – once again a ragtop, this two-seater fulfills the promise of unfettered fun on a Sunday drive.

“This is a sports car for Sunday mornings when you have the road to yourself,” said Andreas Ederer, the Z4’s product manager, at the car’s recent test drive near Lisbon.

This Z comes in two versions in North America, 30i and M40i. The 30i is powered by a four-cylinder turbo that produces a very respectable 255 horsepower. BMW, however, only provided journalists with the higher-end M40i, a beautiful machine finished in Frozen Grey II metallic paint and powered by an inline 3.0-litre turbo-charged six cylinder.

Roadsters have historically been known to put the emphasis on handling over power. Not this one. The M40i has Cobra-style horsepower in a roadster that also handles exceptionally well through corners, thanks to a body that is more rigid than any convertible I have ever driven.

This is the third generation of the Z4, and it returns after a hiatus of two model years (and, interestingly, a development collaboration with Toyota).

There are really three surprises in the M4: the power, the rigidity and – wait for it – the disappearance of a manual gearbox. Yes, it’s true, here is a roadster without a stick shift, at least in North America. Europe is expected to get a manual in a 20i model that won’t be coming over the Atlantic.

Strangely, the loss of the stick shift did not bring on the level of remorse I expected. That’s probably because this eight-speed automatic shifts so rapidly and so intuitively, I know in my heart that it can outperform any human. Plus, when you’re pushing the limits on a cliff hundreds of metres above the Atlantic Ocean, you want to have both hands on the wheel.

In sport and sport+ mode, the transmission gets even better. It learns your driving style and adapts shifting patterns to suit you. Entering a corner at speed, the gearbox downshifts to help in braking, setting you up to exit at full throttle.

The new Z also improved on its immediate predecessor by disposing of the regrettable retractable hardtop. That solid lid added weight and complexity to the car, while robbing drivers of what little trunk space existed. The new ragtop is lighter, has little wind noise and can pop up in just 10 seconds at speeds up to 50 kilometres an hour. That’s something I could never do in my first and second generation Miatas (though I tried, holding the wheel with one hand while reaching for the top with the other).

To keep weight down, BMW has increased the use of aluminum components. It’s also moved the engine 70 millimetres closer to the centre of the car to achieve the long-desired near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. It’s 7.5 centimetres wider and 10 centimetres longer than the previous version, yet the wheelbase has been shortened by about 2.5 centimetres to improve steering dynamics.

The handsome standard 18-inch alloy wheels are shod with custom Michelin tires. Buyers can also upgrade to 19-inchers.

To keep weight down, BMW has increased the use of aluminum components. It’s also moved the engine 70 millimetres closer to the centre of the car to achieve the long-desired 50/50 weight distribution.

The interior is high-tech, but not as gimmicky feeling as such gadgetry might infer. That’s because BMW kept the layout simple and clean, with digital gauges and a 26-centimetre centre display for the infotainment system. The car is equipped with the BMW Live Cockpit Professional, the latest version of the company’s iDrive system. The iDrive controller sits to the right of the transmission shift lever. The M40i’s seats are finished in fine leather, providing a very unroadster-like sense of luxury.

Our test drive took us to ocean-side cliffs in Portugal, an hour-and-a-half south of Libson. The sharp climbs and reflex-testing tight hairpin turns seemed to be exactly what this car was made for. It is unquestionably a fun car, and it’s built for drivers who want a healthy dose of luxury with their sportiness.

For boomers who have acquired wealth with their years, it also completes the evolution away from youthful years of seeking sportiness on a budget. Way back in the 1970s, the Datsun 510 (now Nissan) was labelled “the poor man’s BMW” because it had all the essentials of a BMW 1600-2, but for a lot less money.

The Z4 is the reverse; it is the rich man’s Miata. The Z does all the same great things as its Japanese doppelganger, but with the extra power and luxury that come in a premium ride.

The Z4 arrives in Canadian dealerships in March, 2019.

Tech specs

The new Z also improved on its immediate predecessor by disposing of the regrettable retractable hardtop.

•Base price/As tested: TBA
•Engines: turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder; turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder
•Transmission/drive: Eight-speed automatic; rear-wheel drive
•Fuel economy (litres/100 km): N/A
•Alternatives: Audi TT, Mercedes-Benz SLK, Porsche Boxster

Looks

This is a welcome departure from previous Zs, which had hoods so long it looked as if they had put drivers in the trunk. The hood has been shortened and the passengers moved slightly forward for a more balanced look. It also sits wider, which makes it look more aggressive.

Interior
The interior is high-tech, but not as gimmicky as the gadgetry might infer.

The interior is high-tech, but not gimmicky. It features digital gauges, leather seats and the latest version of its iDrive system. Two average-sized people fit comfortably.

Performance

The six-cylinder turbo churns out a robust 382 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, which truly makes a light (1,760 kilograms in the i30 version) car move fast. The rigid body had no detectable flex, which enhances control through corners.

Technology

All the safety technology you expect in a high-end car, and – importantly – presented in intuitive layout.

Cargo

It’s a two-seat roadster – which means the trunk is tiny (0.28 cubic metres). Overnight bags only.

Verdict 9.0

By adding gobs of horsepower, BMW has updated the roadster concept for the times. Its near perfect 50/50 weight distribution adds to the joy. It is even forgiven for dropping the stick shift.

The writer was a guest of the automaker. Content was not subject to approval.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

"It was worth the wait. Balanced, remarkably powerful and – thank heavens – once again a ragtop, this two-seater fulfills the promise of unfettered fun on a Sunday drive.

“This is a sports car for Sunday mornings when you have the road to yourself,” said Andreas Ederer, the Z4’s product manager, at the car’s recent test drive near Lisbon.
"

So why no manual, I get that the 8 speed autobox can shift faster than any human but this is clearly not a race car, it sounds like they have nailed down a drivers car.....so let the driver drive the full experience. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 5
GuidoK10473.00
ried791.50
Azeka1284.50
3798j11180.50
Efthreeoh16950.50
      11-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
"It was worth the wait. Balanced, remarkably powerful and – thank heavens – once again a ragtop, this two-seater fulfills the promise of unfettered fun on a Sunday drive.

"

So why no manual, I get that the 8 speed autobox can shift faster than any human but this is clearly not a race car, it sounds like they have nailed down a drivers car.....so let the driver drive the full experience. Just my two cents.
This must be a business decision based on the fact that even considering all of us grumpy old men who post on this and similar forums, there aren't enough people buying manual shift cars these days to justify having them available on the car.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
This must be a business decision based on the fact that even considering all of us grumpy old men who post on this and similar forums, there aren't enough people buying manual shift cars these days to justify having them available on the car.
M2 was a different story. This would be, too, in my opinion - if they simply offered a manual.

New M Coupe with a manual, please!
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16950.50
      11-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
1Joel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
What is the M40i weight?
3549lbs

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-bmw-z4...s-w-1830269357
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Weight to HP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
3,400 lbs is what’s been reported.
2019 Z4 M40i
3,549 lbs divided by 382 hp = 9.3 lbs per hp

2006-2008 Z4M roadster (US version)
3,197 lbs divided by 330 hp = 9.7 lbs per hp

Last edited by racerbruce; 11-08-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

"This is a sports car for Sunday mornings when you have the road to yourself," said Andreas Ederer, the Z4's product manager, at the car's recent test drive near Lisbon.
"

I think you are correct. If I recall correctly BMW NA dropped the E89 Z4 with a manual transmission in 2014 due to an extremely low take rate and related costs of certification of each model with different engines and transmissions. And this was noted as part of BMW's long range plans in dropping manual transmission availability.

And the simple fact the roadster market has been shrinking for the past decade.

For the G29 BMW should have integrated a manual transmission available via "Special Order Only" that also unlocks extensive BMW Individual colors for paint, leather, Alcantara, exclusive speed cloth seats, various trim colors/materials and unbelievably cool BMW M wheels.

Could have been very cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I think you are correct. If I recall correctly BMW NA dropped the E89 Z4 with a manual transmission in 2014 due to an extremely low take rate and related costs of certification of each model with different engines and transmissions. And this was noted as part of BMW's long range plans in dropping manual transmission availability.

For the G29 BMW should have integrated a manual transmission available via "Special Order Only" that also unlocks extensive BMW Individual colors for paint, leather, Alcantara, exclusive speed cloth seats, various trim colors/materials and unbelievably cool BMW M wheels.

Ahh, but for an E89 the target buyer would have been an auto driver as it was more luxurious than sporty. Not that is matters for me as $70k is WAY out of my comfort zone.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
WanaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Fast and fun M3

The Z4 is nice, but that price tag is pretty steep at $70K does look great though!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

That’s the problem as I see it - price. Who among us will drop that kind of coin for a new Z4 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I read the Jalopnik review and it seems like the car continues to suffer from the same old identity crisis (not quite the sports car as the Boxster/Cayman, and not quite the luxucruiser as the SLK/C).

Still there will be some aggressive lease deals, and some will buy it out of brand loyalty or for the looks. Fortunately Zeds depreciate faster than the Boxtser/Cayman so anyone who wants one can wait a few years and pick it up at a more appropriate price.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I read the Jalopnik review and it seems like the car continues to suffer from the same old identity crisis (not quite the sports car as the Boxster/Cayman, and not quite the luxucruiser as the SLK/C).

Still there will be some aggressive lease deals, and some will buy it out of brand loyalty or for the looks. Fortunately Zeds depreciate faster than the Boxtser/Cayman so anyone who wants one can wait a few years and pick it up at a more appropriate price.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Also my plan, in the unlikely event that I should ever decide to part with my still-loved 3.0si.

By the way, the Merc SLK/C is absolutely not an option for me. A work colleague of my wife bought one brand new about 3 years ago and had to unload it at a steep loss recently because it started having dash warning lights coming on (apparently, a known issue), and Mercedes both locally and at Canadian head Office could not repair it and would not help him out in any way. Even though the car was still under full warranty. That is pure garbage treatment, in my opinion.

Similarly, my wife bought a 2014 C300 4matic brand new in late 2013. After only a month, it developed a clunky transmission that Mercedes Canada was unable to repair even though the car spent five months straight in the shop, and numerous consultations with Mercedes engineers in Germany. Despite this, Mercedes Canada refused to help us in any way. It was only after the owner of the dealership drove the car and pronounced it undrive-able, that he personally took the car back at a full refund and sent it to Mercedes to deal with.

Since then, my opinion has firmly been that if Mercedes were the last car manufacturer on the planet, I'd buy a horse.

Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      11-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Also my plan, in the unlikely event that I should ever decide to part with my still-loved 3.0si.

By the way, the Merc SLK/C is absolutely not an option for me. A work colleague of my wife bought one brand new about 3 years ago and had to unload it at a steep loss recently because it started having dash warning lights coming on (apparently, a known issue), and Mercedes both locally and at Canadian head Office could not repair it and would not help him out in any way. Even though the car was still under full warranty. That is pure garbage treatment, in my opinion.

Similarly, my wife bought a 2014 C300 4matic brand new in late 2013. After only a month, it developed a clunky transmission that Mercedes Canada was unable to repair even though the car spent five months straight in the shop, and numerous consultations with Mercedes engineers in Germany. Despite this, Mercedes Canada refused to help us in any way. It was only after the owner of the dealership drove the car and pronounced it undrive-able, that he personally took the car back at a full refund and sent it to Mercedes to deal with.

Since then, my opinion has firmly been that if Mercedes were the last car manufacturer on the planet, I'd buy a horse.
That's terrible! Happy the dealership did the right thing but shouldn't have gotten to that point to begin with.

Given how complicated cars have gotten lately, I'd expect more breakdowns/issues but that's definitely not the way to handle things. I have generally had positive BMW dealer experiences, but at the corporate level they too are mishandling things by reducing warranty coverage and making it harder to get repairs done. IMO Porsche remains the least compromising of the German brands, even on their low level models/trims.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The new Z4 looks an awful lot like an SLK in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one, wait for a couple of years to see if there are any major issues and then pick one up used at a huge discount.

With respect to MB, I have a GLK, my second one in fact. The last one developed a weird vibration at about 100KMH and up, I took it into the dealership (it had about 90,000 KM on it. Diagnosed a major transmission issue, I had a loaner for about 2 weeks, MB put a new transmission in covered on warranty. The service rep showed me the work order, $14,000. They didn't blink. I've not had an issue with the service department in my experience with a few minor warranty issues, and when I got the opportunity to pick up a new GLK with really low mileage I grabbed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

THIS is the key reason manual transmissions are being dropped from the US market. What you indicate is just stupid US DOT safety regulations, which the current pro-business Administration should be made aware of and get changed. In this day and age of very sophisticated and advanced computer-aided modeling, one version of the chassis should be physically crash tested and any change in engine or transmission component should only require the chassis to be crash tested using computer simulation tools. The change of engine/transmission does not significantly change the crash performance of the chassis as they are not structural chassis members. While it is understood the concern is penetration of the engine through the firewall and transmission through the tunnel, both smaller and larger engines perform almost identically as do transmissions.

The cost for requiring chassis crash testing with engine/transmission changes makes the business case for a small market segment of manual transmission cars too expensive. The drive for reduced fuel consumption numbers also adds into the equation as well. It limits consumer choice, which is always a bad thing and typical of too much Government oversight.

This is a pet peeve of mine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-10-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

I like the plan. I'd still look at a Boxter though. The straight 6 or even 4 turbo versions should have depreciated to attainable levels in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Quote:

Ahh, but for an E89 the target buyer would have been an auto driver as it was more luxurious than sporty. Not that is matters for me as $70k is WAY out of my comfort zone.

Steve
The E89 had so much potential in its chassis it was ridiculous.

BMW looked at previous M Roadster sales and there was absolutely zero business case to be made with 3,041 units sold here.

Although they later stated it was a mistake to not build an E89 M Roadster.

They chased the SLK demographics with the E89 and with the DCT was a capable but lacking to performance types.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #22
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I have about as much interest in this thing as my next colonoscopy. I have NO idea why they're even using the Z4 name on it. It should be a Z5, Z6, or Z4.5 S-drive Twin Power Turbo Deluxe 3.0a. Or some such silly moniker.
SD ///M42992.00
Efthreeoh16950.50