ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
miss my Z4MC - on the hunt for another

Greetings strangers, I haven't posted here in ages. I sold my Interlagos Z4MC in 2015, after owning it from new in mid-2007. I replaced it as my 2nd car with a cherry, low-mileage E39 M5, something I'd wanted for a long time. A year later, I was out of love with the M5 and missing my Z4MC.

So I've decided I need to find a suitable replacement. My ceiling is $40k for the right car. Must have all-original paint/no body work, NON-nav, and carbon leather trim, and Premium package. Those items are 100% musts. Black or Imola interior. Any exterior color other than black would be considered - first choices Interlagos, silver, silver/grey, and Imola.

My advice to you current owners - DON'T SELL your car unless you're 100% positive that you want to part with it permanently! These cars bounced off the bottom of their depreciation curve about the time I sold mine and are on the rise - particularly well-documented, low-to-moderate mileage examples, in stock or mostly stock condition. The styling has aged extremely well IMHO (and in the opinion of many observers) and their rarity is likely to keep prices strong for years to come.

If somebody has a car they're thinking of selling that meets my criteria, or has a lead on one, please shoot me a PM. Thank you!
      10-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Greetings strangers, I haven't posted here in ages. I sold my Interlagos Z4MC in 2015, after owning it from new in mid-2007. I replaced it as my 2nd car with a cherry, low-mileage E39 M5, something I'd wanted for a long time. A year later, I was out of love with the M5 and missing my Z4MC.

So I've decided I need to find a suitable replacement. My ceiling is $40k for the right car. Must have all-original paint/no body work, NON-nav, and carbon leather trim, and Premium package. Those items are 100% musts. Black or Imola interior. Any exterior color other than black would be considered - first choices Interlagos, silver, silver/grey, and Imola.

My advice to you current owners - DON'T SELL your car unless you're 100% positive that you want to part with it permanently! These cars bounced off the bottom of their depreciation curve about the time I sold mine and are on the rise - particularly well-documented, low-to-moderate mileage examples, in stock or mostly stock condition. The styling has aged extremely well IMHO (and in the opinion of many observers) and their rarity is likely to keep prices strong for years to come.

If somebody has a car they're thinking of selling that meets my criteria, or has a lead on one, please shoot me a PM. Thank you!
Never sell an E46 M3, Z4M or Honda S2000. Three cars I hear nothing but regret from former owners on this forum. Good luck OP; hope you bring back that loving feeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

I indeed regret parting with my 2002 Honda S2000....such a fun car; was stock except for 18 in OZ Ultraleggeras, Comptech cat-back exhaust system. 120 HP per liter (2 liter) and weighed 2,850 lbs with a 9,250 RPM fuel cutout....it sounded awesome at max RPM. This engine is the highest HP per liter (normally aspirated) of any production engine.

Last edited by racerbruce; 10-21-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Your limiting the available cars with color and no nav, but there may be a match out there.

This place near me gets some low mileage cars now and then though they ask premium prices for them.

Avazi

GLWYS
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
I don't post on here often but had to pick up on this, if you like your Z4M be very careful about trading it for something 'better'. Last year I got an M2 to daily alongside my Z4MC and after a few weeks the novelty wore off and I've ended up massively disappointed in the M2. Fortunately I can just sell/trade the M2 for something else, but if I had traded the Z4MC in against it I doubt I would find another in similar condition.

Good luck with the search.
Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00
      10-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

$40K should get you a car pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top pup View Post
Quote:
I don't post on here often but had to pick up on this, if you like your Z4M be very careful about trading it for something 'better'. Last year I got an M2 to daily alongside my Z4MC and after a few weeks the novelty wore off and I've ended up massively disappointed in the M2. Fortunately I can just sell/trade the M2 for something else, but if I had traded the Z4MC in against it I doubt I would find another in similar condition.

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! Close call! Sorry to threadjack but what's made you lose that loving feeling with the M2?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:50 AM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! Close call! Sorry to threadjack but what's made you lose that loving feeling with the M2?
My guess? It's not a Z4Mc. Next to a 991.x GT3 I can't think of another car I'd want. And I had (past tense) a 991.1 GT3...The Z is nearly as much fun and 20% of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

My guess? It's not a Z4Mc. Next to a 991.x GT3 I can't think of another car I'd want. And I had (past tense) a 991.1 GT3...The Z is nearly as much fun and 20% of the cost.
I hear you. I have the Z4M roadie and it goes away for winter so I need a different non-Z car for daily driving but I know the feeling of driving cars that aren't the Z4M and the feeling of realizing how they often don't compare in experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

When I started shopping for my mid-life crisis cliche, my wife insist that I get rid of the Coupe, because, in her mind, I don’t need 2x 2 seater Coupes in the garage that I rarely drive (I put 2,000 miles on the MZ4 Coupe so far this year, and the majority of that was driving to and from tracks and at tracks). She was fine with the purchase, her stipulation was get something family friendly, or get the Corvette and sell the Coupe.

Took about 3 months of arguing, pleading, and the “dog house” but I got to keep the Coupe. In the end, had she held firm and said “no” I probably would have given up on the mid-life crisis purchase.

And ultimately, if she were to put her foot down and put me back in the dog house and demand I sell one of the two cars that I put a total of 3-4,000 miles a year in COMBINED, or spend the rest of my life in the dog house? I’d sell the Corvette.

Sure, the Vette is faster, more comfortable, brutal with some insane supercar like numbers yet far more practical in real world than the Coupe, but there’s something about the MZ4 Coupe...not just it’s uniqueness but there’s something SPECIAL about this specific car. It gets the blood going when you operate it, the tactile feeling, the incredible naturally aspirated, six individual throttle bodied response, the razor sharp steering, the sexy as hell body lines that doesn’t seem to age...

I don’t think I can ever get ride of this car. Mostly because it’ll be darn near impossible to replace.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 3
Finnegan701.00
gnx757.50
ried791.50
      10-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Well said HACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
When I started shopping for my mid-life crisis cliche, my wife insist that I get rid of the Coupe, because, in her mind, I don’t need 2x 2 seater Coupes in the garage that I rarely drive (I put 2,000 miles on the MZ4 Coupe so far this year, and the majority of that was driving to and from tracks and at tracks). She was fine with the purchase, her stipulation was get something family friendly, or get the Corvette and sell the Coupe.

Took about 3 months of arguing, pleading, and the “dog house” but I got to keep the Coupe. In the end, had she held firm and said “no” I probably would have given up on the mid-life crisis purchase.

And ultimately, if she were to put her foot down and put me back in the dog house and demand I sell one of the two cars that I put a total of 3-4,000 miles a year in COMBINED, or spend the rest of my life in the dog house? I’d sell the Corvette.

Sure, the Vette is faster, more comfortable, brutal with some insane supercar like numbers yet far more practical in real world than the Coupe, but there’s something about the MZ4 Coupe...not just it’s uniqueness but there’s something SPECIAL about this specific car. It gets the blood going when you operate it, the tactile feeling, the incredible naturally aspirated, six individual throttle bodied response, the razor sharp steering, the sexy as hell body lines that doesn’t seem to age...

I don’t think I can ever get ride of this car. Mostly because it’ll be darn near impossible to replace.
We have followed your Vette purchase; SO very interesting to hear that if you had to choose, you would keep the Z4MC....and you track your cars semi-frequently; the Z4M platform isn't like other "in reach" sports cars (Porsche total production is now over 1M)....the Z4M platform production numbers are so very low compared to other cars; the Z4M's precise handling, very individual styling cues, semi-techy S54 power, massive brakes, solidly built interior, etc are so very special.
      10-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
We have followed your Vette purchase; SO very interesting to hear that if you had to choose, you would keep the Z4MC.
Don't get me wrong. I have two amazing cars in the garage, and a wife that, despite ALL my character flaws, have not chosen to ditch my ass for someone better looking, more fit, younger AND more financially stable.

ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND should be happy with either one of these cars. Very happy. I'm ecstatic I got to keep BOTH.

The MZ4 Coupe would win out not because it's the better car. The MZ4 Coupe will win out because I have an emotional attachment to it. It's been with me for over 12 years now. The Corvette is the better car in nearly every single regard. It's more powerful. It has far better comfort (heated AND cooled seats?!). It has a superior chassis* and the magneticrheological shocks are amazeballs. The brakes are insane (CCM) and the factory fun-flats are mind-blowingly good. It has better practicality (15 cu. ft of trunk *******, BETTER fuel economy, churns laps nearly 10 seconds faster on your average course...etc. If I didn't have the MZ4 Coupe I can totally fall in love with the Corvette as my only car. It's THAT good.

But the MZ4 wins in ALL the intangibles. Stuff like feeling of the material. The fact that 12 years later the interior looks as good if not better than the new Vette. Insanely stiff chassis (if my research is correct, 2x the structural rigidity) and an engine that just lives to REV. Throttle response is off the charts quick, in fact, in the age of turbocharged engines, we're NEVER going to get this kind of instantaneous throttle response. It pulls hard all the way up to 8,000 RPM, and from the world "go" it feels like a wound up toy just waiting to explode. The exterior design, even with some early 2000' cues, if BMW were to just repackage the car and sell it as a brand new car today it would fit right in. Not timeless, but way ahead of its time and ages so damn well.

It's just a special, SPECIAL car. Hard to explain to those who don't own it nor live with it daily. On paper it's outdated technology not fit for today's consumption. It lacks all the standard technologies today's consumers would demand, like smart phone integration, driving aides, LED running lights, digital dash...etc. Which the Corvette has most of it. But man...

They don't build cars like this anymore.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 5
Finnegan701.00
gnx757.50
ried791.50
      10-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We have followed your Vette purchase; SO very interesting to hear that if you had to choose, you would keep the Z4MC.

Well said HACK
      10-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
Z4Fool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 35is VO

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I totally 'Hear You' on this... Had an Arctic White 2010 Carerra 2S cabrio and sold it after 6 months with regret as the wife didn't take to it. I only got 'undepressed' again when I got my Imola Red Z4MR.... just as much fun at less than half the price of the 911 and rarer too.

I just can't think what could replace this except of course a Z4MC of course . But I plan on keeping this for a very long time lol...

Do Not Sell Unless Very Sure... It's very painful when your replacement doesn't live up to your Zed...!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      10-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #15
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Crikey!....the steering wheel is on the wrong side!?

Last edited by racerbruce; 10-22-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Great responses guys.. and nobody is threadjacking, all this discussion is on-point as far as I'm concerned.

I contemplated an EAG car - they have a "new arrival" in Imola at $39.9k ask, but it's got too many issues for a $40k car for my blood, though it has a lot of positives too. I bought my E39 M5 from Eric and wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again - but it would have to be the "right" car at EAG pricing - no compromises. This one's not it, at least not for me.

However - I have located another seemingly "perfect" candidate with a private party. Super-low mileage, steep but not unreasonable asking price given mileage and condition, fully documented maintenance history, right color & interior - non-nav & carbon leather are absolute, 100% musts for me, and this one checks that box and more. I have made an offer and we'll see what happens. Trying to restrain my excitement until if/when we strike a deal. Wish me luck!
Finnegan701.00
Z4Fool12.00
wdb4695.50
      10-23-2018, 02:37 AM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great responses guys.. and nobody is threadjacking, all this discussion is on-point as far as I'm concerned.

I contemplated an EAG car - they have a "new arrival" in Imola at $39.9k ask, but it's got too many issues for a $40k car for my blood, though it has a lot of positives too. I bought my E39 M5 from Eric and wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again - but it would have to be the "right" car at EAG pricing - no compromises. This one's not it, at least not for me.

However - I have located another seemingly "perfect" candidate with a private party. Super-low mileage, steep but not unreasonable asking price given mileage and condition, fully documented maintenance history, right color & interior - non-nav & carbon leather are absolute, 100% musts for me, and this one checks that box and more. I have made an offer and we'll see what happens. Trying to restrain my excitement until if/when we strike a deal. Wish me luck!
Here's luck to ya!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I have two amazing cars in the garage, and a wife that, despite ALL my character flaws, have not chosen to ditch my ass for someone better looking, more fit, younger AND more financially stable.

ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND should be happy with either one of these cars. Very happy. I'm ecstatic I got to keep BOTH.

The MZ4 Coupe would win out not because it's the better car. The MZ4 Coupe will win out because I have an emotional attachment to it. It's been with me for over 12 years now. The Corvette is the better car in nearly every single regard. It's more powerful. It has far better comfort (heated AND cooled seats?!). It has a superior chassis* and the magneticrheological shocks are amazeballs. The brakes are insane (CCM) and the factory fun-flats are mind-blowingly good. It has better practicality (15 cu. ft of trunk *******, BETTER fuel economy, churns laps nearly 10 seconds faster on your average course...etc. If I didn't have the MZ4 Coupe I can totally fall in love with the Corvette as my only car. It's THAT good.

But the MZ4 wins in ALL the intangibles. Stuff like feeling of the material. The fact that 12 years later the interior looks as good if not better than the new Vette. Insanely stiff chassis (if my research is correct, 2x the structural rigidity) and an engine that just lives to REV. Throttle response is off the charts quick, in fact, in the age of turbocharged engines, we're NEVER going to get this kind of instantaneous throttle response. It pulls hard all the way up to 8,000 RPM, and from the world "go" it feels like a wound up toy just waiting to explode. The exterior design, even with some early 2000' cues, if BMW were to just repackage the car and sell it as a brand new car today it would fit right in. Not timeless, but way ahead of its time and ages so damn well.

It's just a special, SPECIAL car. Hard to explain to those who don't own it nor live with it daily. On paper it's outdated technology not fit for today's consumption. It lacks all the standard technologies today's consumers would demand, like smart phone integration, driving aides, LED running lights, digital dash...etc. Which the Corvette has most of it. But man...

Yep. It's a special experience. More so than any car I've owned. I've has things that are "better" but not more fun. The "wound up got waiting to explode" line captures it nicely.

The other that I've said before is the car makes you work for things. You've got to manage a lot of inputs well to really dance with this thing. It's taught me a lot about driving, there's so much communication it provides.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
Z4Fool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hahaha I think, Sir, you will find that this is the 'Right' side mmmharharhar!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
Z4Fool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep. It's a special experience. More so than any car I've owned. I've has things that are "better" but not more fun. The "wound up got waiting to explode" line captures it nicely.

The other that I've said before is the car makes you work for things. You've got to manage a lot of inputs well to really dance with this thing. It's taught me a lot about driving, there's so much communication it provides.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It has that feeling i got in the 911 which, although maniacally faster, both feel like you've been 'Shot' forward...

Indescribable joy when driving!
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      10-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #21
Z4Fool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep wish you luck... just bag it... its like land. They don't make 'em anymore lol

What ever the price difference you will forget that on that first drive back
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #22
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Very interesting discussion, I'd like to chime in.

My favorite car is the E92 M3. I remember back in college, I skipped class to watch its unveil. I was finally able to purchase one in 2011 or 2012 and have been enjoying it ever since. It's modified exactly the way I wanted and I never plan to sell it. It's truly a special car.

I then added an E30 325i convertible (5MT) as the E30 was the car that got me into BMW's. Cool car and really enjoyed the top down fun, even if the car was slow. Sold it and got and added a 4Runner (got 2 dogs) and eventually a Techno Violet E36 Coupe (5MT)

I purchased a my Z4MR about almost 2 years ago. I've always been a fan of the way they look, I missed the top down experience and I've always wanted an S54 to add to the garage. I'm still in love with this car today. If it came down to it, I'd probably keep the E92 if it was the only M I'm allowed to have, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like the Z4MR.

As the Hack said, they truly just don't make cars like this anymore. It's a 1 trick pony, but it's so thrilling to drive. The cost of the Roadster makes it even more of a bargain compared to the Coupe. There's literally nothing like driving through the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top down.

In short, the Z4M is not going anywhere. I frankly still don't understand how these cars are still so cheap. There's no reason for them to be cheaper than the equivalent E46 M3 or Z3M S54. I only paid $17k for mine (it had 89k miles) so to me, there's nothing remotely close to the driving experience for the price.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0