ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
doyle4281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

ABS/DTC lights, Error codes 5DFO/5DF1, steering angle signal odd

Hello all, I have a 2007 Z4M Coupe, and I recently pulled it out of the garage after winter storage and have all the DTC/ABS/Brake warnings lit up. The codes read 5DF0/5DF1, and my research shows that aside from the ABS pump/module, the Steering angle sensor can be at fault. I checked the SAS data, and it looks very odd. At rest, steering wheel centered it reads around 30,000, and while turning it makes its way down in the 100's, and starts to look more normal when turning the wheel left. Should this sensor data read this way, or should it read it normal degrees of rotation. If this sensor is at fault, is there a method of re calibration, or is this a worn brush type issue? I can put up a video of the data stream if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Back from the dead-ish. My car just threw the same codes yesterday. Did you narrow it down to the steering sensor? I've read that the wheel rotation sensors can trigger it too, but in that case there should be another code. I also read that the ABS pump motor can cause the codes, and that simply giving it a sharp rap with a rubber mallet might 'fix' the issue (brushes stop contacting the commutator). At any rate I'm interested in how you made out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

There's a number of things that can cause the issue you're seeing. First of course is a real issue with the ABS system, but next, all of the sensors that communicate through the K Buss (Kombi Buss). The instrument cluster, steering angle sensor, steering wheel controls, and audio system are all on the K Buss. If one of them hangs up, it corrupts the data on the buss and you can get a number of false errors. Did you have the car on a battery tender? Did you have the battery out and reconnect it? In some cases a glitch on the 12V line can cause one of the controllers to hang up.
First thing I'd try is disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes. When you reconnect, all of the controllers and computers will do a cold boot and reload their firmware. Sometimes that's all it takes to clear everything.
      09-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

The car was sitting for a couple of weeks without being on a tender (I usually have them on tenders when parked). I was out for a drive on wettish roads and bald rear tires when the lights came on, which causes me to lean towards some genuine issue with the traction control or ABS systems. Your battery idea is a simple one however, and worth trying.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

A funny thing happened yesterday: the lights went out. I started the car in the garage, they were on; backed it out and trundled down the driveway, and noticed that they were no longer on! Easy fix!

Then I took a turn enthusiastically enough to trigger the traction nannies. The lights came back on. Easy fix denied!

I drove the car some more, including a few stops since I was on an errand run. At the end of the day I parked the car with the ABS/DSC lights out.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, I guess. But at this point I believe my first move will be to replace the tires, which need replacing anyway. If I still have intermittent lights I'll consider next steps. My suspicion at this point is the pump motor, since the lights seem to be triggered when it is called into action. The intermittent lights would also be consistend with folks who say they can tap on the motor and get the lights to turn out.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I have to replace one of the DTC pressure sensors on my non M( the Foxwell told me so) in the off season.
Item 2 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1290
I have the same lights on.

Your M may be different
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      10-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
doyle4281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

My warning lights were off for a bit too, went for a drive today, they came back on. Same 2 codes.
Appreciate 0