ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I'm just running the stock pads at the moment, however I'm looking into a set of G-Loc R6's.
Those should make quite a difference. The OEM compound has high initial bite, but fades really badly under the braking done in autoX. Feels like you're having to stand on the brake pedal to get the car stopped.

Keep us updated on how those R6's do! An acquaintance of mine who has a race shop also races Toyota 86s and has a sponsorship deal with G-Loc. He's been really happy with them for road racing. (Finished in 2nd by just a hair last year at the SCCA nationals in his B Spec FIT, then changed to the 86 this year.)

Interested to see how they work for autoX. Looks like G-Loc doesn't recommend them for track duty though.........
      06-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #24
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC (Bianca)

Second autox in the books and I'm finding how woefully under prepped the car is.

Since I last had her aligned, I've noticed that shes a bit wayward to the right, so she'll be on the rack again tomorrow for a touch up to the to the alignment as I have a two day regional event this weekend.

It's time to start with a full fluid change for everything, but will likely start with the Brake/Clutch and do the CDV at the same time. I have some Motul 5.1 fluid from my Birkin build and was thinking of using that. Has anyone here gone past the DOT 4 to a DOT 5.1?

Of course this thread is useless without pictures.

My Driving buddy.

First run of the day last Sunday, and I got lost. I recovered, but not in time to save this cone.

She sure looks good out there though.

09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #25
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It has been quite a season. I have some notes to organize and will go through the data on the full season before posting here what I've learned. I obviously haven't learned it yet.

Just to keep the thread moving though.... an Afternoon run from Sunday. The results said this was clean...!!

10-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #26
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

I am wanting to do a 18x 9.5 square set-up with 265-35-18s.

Can you confirm you are stock other than the H&R springs? Does your set-up rub when autocrossing?

Do you know the offset of your wheels?

I'm ready to buy 18x9.5 wheels but have not been able to confirm what it takes to clear the stock suspension without rubbing.

It seems a lot of folks are running a 35 offset

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2twins View Post
I am wanting to do a 18x 9.5 square set-up with 265-35-18s.

Can you confirm you are stock other than the H&R springs? Does your set-up rub when autocrossing?

Do you know the offset of your wheels?

I'm ready to buy 18x9.5 wheels but have not been able to confirm what it takes to clear the stock suspension without rubbing.

It seems a lot of folks are running a 35 offset

Thanks!
Mostly stock. I run camber washers on the front to achieve an almost 3 degrees negative camber up front.

The wheels all have a 35 offset, and I run a 10mm spacer in the rear and a 5 mm spacer up front.
      10-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #28
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mostly stock. I run camber washers on the front to achieve an almost 3 degrees negative camber up front.

The wheels all have a 35 offset, and I run a 10mm spacer in the rear and a 5 mm spacer up front.
So you're running the Turner washers or something else?

Did you need the 5mm to clear the stock spring or to move the wheel out cause wider track?

I pulled the trigger on a set of 18x9.5 with 265-35-18 PSS as my street set-up. Apex recommended a 12mm out back and wait and see for the front. Not too late to get front spacer if it's for sure needed

Funny I have bought wheels and tires and turns out the title is a little complicated. So I am still looking for an Interlagos Z4MC. The cleaner the better.

Carl
808-747-0138
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #29
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2twins View Post
So you're running the Turner washers or something else?

Did you need the 5mm to clear the stock spring or to move the wheel out cause wider track?

I pulled the trigger on a set of 18x9.5 with 265-35-18 PSS as my street set-up. Apex recommended a 12mm out back and wait and see for the front. Not too late to get front spacer if it's for sure needed

Funny I have bought wheels and tires and turns out the title is a little complicated. So I am still looking for an Interlagos Z4MC. The cleaner the better.

Carl
808-747-0138
The 5mm spacer is needed up front to clear the springs, and the camber is needed to clear the fender. Squeezing the 265 setup requires both to function correctly. I have never attempted the 265 setup without both the washers and the spacer.

I found hardware at a local bolt supply store, and measured the washers with a micrometer to pair up washers to be consistent in width.
      10-19-2017, 02:43 AM   #30
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 5mm spacer is needed up front to clear the springs, and the camber is needed to clear the fender. Squeezing the 265 setup requires both to function correctly. I have never attempted the 265 setup without both the washers and the spacer.

I found hardware at a local bolt supply store, and measured the washers with a micrometer to pair up washers to be consistent in width.
Thanks, I ordered the 5mm spacer.
Appreciate 0