ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #23
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Pagani Zonda and 15yrs old daughter eh?

God bless Shim's future family.
Zonda F

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #24
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
if i could afford to i'd buy my kid an M6 and then have the speed limited to 85mph.

hahahaha

shit that is still dangerous how about 65mph?
      10-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #25
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

if i have a kid ill probably get him/her a toyota corolla or honda civic if they are still around

but if budget permits me ill probably get them accord or camry then again if they are still around
      10-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #26
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

pretty good guide, but there's nothing wrong with a RWD car as a first car

no recent RWD car is going to oversteer and be hard to control.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #27
matt20043.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325i

I know for a fact I was a better driver when I was a teenager. I had the most problems when I was between the ages of 19 and 23. The first car I had when I was 16 was a 1972 Chevy Nova. I got the gas pedal stuck one day when I had it floored and I had to grab it with my hand to pull it out. I ended up slamming into a pile of dirt to slow the car down. My kids are 11 and 7 and they will help pay for insurance if they want to drive and the grades must be good.
      10-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #28
nyyankee
The Ultimate Posting Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
After seeing how my high school friends drive their cars, i'm never getting my kid a car that is nice.

It might be safe, but most defiantly not nice. My best friend just had his parents buy him a brand new Ford explorer, 6 months later its upside down in an open field. Its been a week his parents are buying him a brand new WRX...ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME??????

DISCLAIMER: Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct. The above-stated information is instead provided on an "AS IS" basis, and is subject to revision with or without notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #29
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

ill probably get my future child an underpowered and heavy car. something that has enough power to weight ratio to drive off safely in the traffic but not enough to show off or brag about.

then after he learns from a heavy and crappy car ill give him my e90 if its still around and ill buy a brabus rocket for myself as a good example. J/K

im gonna crush his pride. lol.
      10-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Couple things. First, even the most honest teen drivers, when they have friends in the car, will do stupid things and even the best teen drivers just don't have to experience to make good decisions. (not saying us that have been driving a while always do either).
Second, even if your kid is an awesome driver, the other kids at school likely are not. The car is gonna get backed into, get door dings, and a decent chance of being vandalized to some extent.

Just get em a used volvo, honda, or even an older BMW, maybe an E30 or E36.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #31
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

did anyone see the new volvo commercial with the father teaching his daughter how to drive stick on an s40? it was pretty cool, and then it say "who would you give a volvo to". ahhh memories. i am definitely getting my kid a volvo, safe, not too fast and sporty, and not too small.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #32
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
did anyone see the new volvo commercial with the father teaching his daughter how to drive stick on an s40? it was pretty cool, and then it say "who would you give a volvo to". ahhh memories. i am definitely getting my kid a volvo, safe, not too fast and sporty, and not too small.

yup. that's a nice commercial. it makes the ford commercial look stupid in a way. like who would you give your ford mustang to? to my teenage son who would screech his tires on the parking lot because i encouraged him to.
      10-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #33
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
yup. that's a nice commercial. it makes the ford commercial look stupid in a way. like who would you give your ford mustang to? to my teenage son who would screech his tires on the parking lot because i encouraged him to.
hahaha yeah

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #34
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I don't believe in buying my kids cars. I would let them borrow my wife's car ( ) if they are responsible and they can work to get their first car on their own. I will consider financial assistance but should be paid back.

Unfortunately, my wife does not share my puritanical philosophy, so if a car it has to be I would choose a used Subie Imprezza, manual. Can't get into too much trouble with the base 4 cyl engine and the AWD will in fact get them out of it. One car, shared among all my children.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #35
zzinco79
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Let them take safety driving school first

and buy them a Mini cooper S

Sweet car~~

2006 BSM 325i / ZPP / ZSP / Adaptive Xenon / BLK leather interior / Steptronic

Eisenmann racing / K&N Ram charger / M5 rep. wheels / D1S 6000k / Brex white ring / OEM style rear trunk spoiler / M steering / OEM strut bar / Blk line tail light

Future Mod

Hamann lip spolier / Mtech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #36
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Some of you are claiming some teenagers are good at driving and should get nice cars if their parents allow them to(I assume the people who said that are relatively young). I highly disagree. General statistics not only show teenagers are terrible drivers, "not enough road experience" simply puts them into a disadvantage position. You gain natural instincts from driving after years. not couple of months. Unless you learned how to drive since you were 3 like how tiger woods started golfing, the risk you are putting your child into is relatively high with nice cars. Even if you are lucky enough to have one of those child who totally listen to you, there are many other variables in this world that can change that. Peer pressure is one of them.

Driving school is great, but just like how few hours of working at a company doesn't teach you everything about the company, there is nothing like driving for years to gain real life experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
and buy them a Mini cooper S

Sweet car~~
Mini cooper is WAY fun to drive. It'll provoke teenager's instinct to drive fast.
my girlfriend has one, its a blast to drive that thing.

If I had to buy my kid a car right now, it'll be the Volvo S40. Safe, great features, looks good, enough power to move around but not enough to get crazy, and not really a superb toy to play around with.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #37
zzinco79
Major
Rep

Quote:
If I had to buy my kid a car right now, it'll be the Volvo S40. Safe, great features, looks good, enough power to move around but not enough to get crazy, and not really a superb toy to play around with.
H'bout 1992 Honda camry??? :rocks:

Eisenmann racing / K&N Ram charger / M5 rep. wheels / D1S 6000k / Brex white ring / OEM style rear trunk spoiler / M steering / OEM strut bar / Blk line tail light

Future Mod

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #38
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know, its kinda hard to find 92 honda camry.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #39
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
H'bout 1992 BMW firebird ??? :rocks:

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #40
zzinco79
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't know, its kinda hard to find 92 honda camry.
Seriously...

buy them a New (or used if you can find any..) Honda Civic Hybrid.

Save your kid's pocket money from nasty gas price...

Future Mod

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #41
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Pontiac trans sport mini van was my first ride... That thing was the coolest car ever... I could easily fit 15 people in that car

To be honest, Im glad it was my first car. I got into an accident when I was 16 (t-boned and it wasnt my fault)... The mini van was totalled, but I was glad it was that car and not any of our other family cars...

My advice would be to get a car you expect to be in an accident. Safe for all passengers, but not something too nice that will cost a fortune when it is in an accident... While Im sure there are plenty of people that did not have an accident at all in their teenage years, its so much more likely at that age than at any other...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #42
Montego30
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Thumbs up Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330i
Just keep one thing in mind when you think about buying your kid a car. It seems that all older people think that to buy a kid a sporty car is the end of the world, it really isnt as long as you have raised your kid well and have not given them a reason to rebel in driving you should be fine with a nice sporty car, but that is beside the point if you buy your kid "the safest shit bucket" you can find you will have funded all of the other kids enjoyment by giving them a huge prop for them to do their own jackass stunts with.
Hey, this is true! My parents have set a good example for me, and I am in no way encouraged to blow out from every stoplight. Raise your kids so that they understand the risks and even show them the people who weren't careful. The school parking lot is VOLVOS. "Every other car," and "Look! Eight in a row!" is not uncommon. I, too, will be driving the 1998 V70 AWD the most. But if I am going somewhere special, my parents let me the E39 5er and hopefully the on-order 335i Coupe. With cars like ours, you don't need to drive fast to impress. Just having one is good enough. Older BMWs are great first cars as several friends have them. I have respect for the road and for the machine I am driving at all times, please learn to have the same respect! BTW, this is my longest post ever! Haha!
      10-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #43
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
My son will be Karting at age 2.
My thought EXACTLY!!!, I am evidence that you can break the rules a bit, i will admit that i have driven fast when i first purchased the car, but i also was not a mediocre driver by any means (and mix it in with my natural tendancy to be overly cautious) I am sure i could handle a car just as good if not better than most of the people here on this forum in most situations...in addition to that, NOT ONE ticket of any kind whatsoever (knocks on wood):rocks: :rocks:
      10-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #44
Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
From my opinion, as a 17 and a 1/2 year old, I'll tell you that it all matters on the PERSON driving. It doesn't matter if you have a Civic or an M3. It all boils down to the person driving, although what car your child may drive, may make you feel more comfortable allowing them to drive, and I think thats where the confusion is, do you believe that your son or daughter would be responisble enough to drive a fast car? But then the next question arises, if yes and they would want to drive fast or slaloms, would you be willing to allow them to go to the track rather then them going insane on the street?

In my high school, the cars range from the oldest things that are still on this earth to M3s, and I know most of the people in the lot and how they drive, and it doesn't matter if they drive their mom's old Lexus or if they're parents bought them a brand new 325i, it all depends on the person. Any car can go fast (well, most of them) just how fast can they go fast is the better question, but once they've hit higher speeds, 60s in 35s, 80s in 65s, or even worse 100(+) in 65s, it honestly doesn't matter what car they're driving, that person chose to do what they want to do and that was to drive fast.

I understand all the stereotypes that people give teenagers, especially when driving expensive cars or fast cars, but the stereotype doesn't apply to everyone. Unfortunately for me, I had to learn the hard way, my brother passed away in a fatal motorcycle accident, because some idiot decided to take matters into his own hands, by driving FOR work, with a vehicle (that wasn't his) full of people. If this idiot wasn't driving on his suspended license in the first place, my life would of been MUCH easier the last 1 1/2 years, but some people just don't understand what they should and shouldn't do. I'm 17 and I drive a 325i, theres people on this forum, much older then me, but yet theres some the same age as me, how they drive, I don't have a clue, but because I'm 17 people would say that I don't deserve a car like the one I have, I find completely false. When I originally recieved my license, I was suppose to take my brother's Chrylser Crossfire. The car isn't extremely fast, but it is FAST and its small, my parents didn't feel comfortable with me driving the car regardless of how responsible they believed I was, from everything my family learned, its that it doesn't have to be you, it could be the other person, and my parents are/were not willing to take that risk, and the E90 being one of the safest cars in its class, my parents had agreed on buying it for me.

I could go on and on and give you many examples of teenagers driving recklessly, I mean even a member on this forum that I know, was a complete wreckless driver. I have friends who drive CAMRYs that run stop signs and drive on backstreets (if anyone lives around Woodland Hills, Wells DR, is a popular backstreet) at 60+MPH. So really I believe it all comes down to, how responsible you believe your son/child is and what you feel safe in them driving. I'm not saying just because theyre responsible buy them something super expensive, but I believe that its a better investment to lease or finance a newer car such as a Civic, rather then buying them some old junk, that isn't as safe as new technology in cars now a days.

I'm not trying to give parenting advice only trying to offer an opinion, parenting is no way the same for any father, mother, or parents, and what it all boils down to, is the parents and what they decide to do. Follow your heart?

Sorry about the long read...

Appreciate 0