ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

ECU bring Hunt

Oooops - that title should have been "ECU Wiring Hunt". While wading through the murky instructions to install a G-Power supercharger on my 2008 Z4M, I have found it necessary to add a relay to the ECU. The relay requires a 12V supply for the water pumps (I'm hoping that they are the heaviest gauge red wires), and the positive wire to the pumps (easy). But it also requires an ECU ground wire and a red-yellow wire from the ignition. I'm clueless about the location of the last two, and I'm a little reluctant to guess. Any insight would be very much appreciated. My ECU box appears below:
Attached Images

Last edited by wyshyvanuk; 08-10-2020 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Change title.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Oooops - that title should have been "ECU Wiring Hunt". While wading through the murky instructions to install a G-Power supercharger on my 2008 Z4M, I have found it necessary to add a relay to the ECU. The relay requires a 12V supply for the water pumps (I'm hoping that they are the heaviest gauge red wires), and the positive wire to the pumps (easy). But it also requires an ECU ground wire and a red-yellow wire from the ignition. I'm clueless about the location of the last two, and I'm a little reluctant to guess. Any insight would be very much appreciated. My ECU box appears below:
I tapped my intercooler water pump into a spare wire in my ECU box.
The wire that looks like it's returned back into the loom in your picture is possibly an "extra" that is dead headed.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you, sir!! Are you meaning the RED/WHITE wire with YELLOW bands that's in the bundle wrapped in the gray label?
I've attached a picture of the ECU box supplied in the instructions from G-Power. It shows splices on a BROWN wire (ground, I assume) and a RED/YELLOW wire. It's that RED/YELLOW "ignition" wire that's hiding from me. And the, possibly incorrect assumption, here is that the wire color is the same in their box as in mine.
If the RED/WHITE wire with YELLOW bands is a possibility, is there a test that can be applied? FWIW, the G-Power instructions also mention that the "ignition" wire should be "terminal 15".
I will now search for my bottle of Tylenol ;~).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf G-Power ECU BOX.pdf (76.1 KB, 302 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

I used a multimeter to determine a wire that is hot when ignition on.
I used a chassis ground as a ground for my pump.

And yes I do believe that yellow/white/red wire is dead headed if I remember correctly.

I can always open my ECU box up later today and snap a pic if that works??
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If your ECU shows how the wiring is installed, a picture would be FANTASTIC!! Your set up has the pump wired directly rather than through a relay? I've heard arguments for each, but I'm in favor of simple. I hate to have you open the ECU, but it would be very helpful. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

No relay on my pump.
Pictures later.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Don’t guess. Study the wiring schematic.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nctional-info/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi, Michael. I'd previously unearthed the ECU pin-out at: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...l-unit/Z8TkuuA
but I'm not familiar enough with the protocols to translate that information into actionable wiring. I'd like to follow G-Power's instructions but there's a gap between them and my ability.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

wyshyvanuk
The pink wire spliced into red white in my ecu box.
Yours likely different because of different computer.

Pics as promised.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, different enough. I must break out my multimeter. Yay. My I assume that I'm looking for a wire that will show 12V with the key is position 2?
BTW, nice installation of the catch can. And thanks!!!
Appreciate 0