ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Closed Thread

09-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

MT Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
This looks like a Honda Accord, and as impressive as they are, I have no real interest in electric cars. Pass
This.

If this happens to be a car I hailed to give me a ride somewhere... cool. But for my own money I expect a powerful engine, good sound and 3 pedals. For these reason electric also does nothing for me.
Appreciate 2
ramman434710.00
TSM330i873.50
      09-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
This.

If this happens to be a car I hailed to give me a ride somewhere... cool. But for my own money I expect a powerful engine, good sound and 3 pedals. For these reason electric also does nothing for me.
So your plan is to stop buying new cars I assume?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
So your plan is to stop buying new cars I assume?
For now there are still manufacturers offering new cars with the correct number of pedals. When that goes away I will grudgingly switch to a ICE with floppy levers on the steering wheel. And when that is no longer available I’ll stop owning cars and pay a monthly fee to be hauled around by an electro-hearse. In that order.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
For now there are still manufacturers offering new cars with the correct number of pedals. When that goes away I will grudgingly switch to a ICE with floppy levers on the steering wheel. And when that is no longer available I’ll stop owning cars and pay a monthly fee to be hauled around by an electro-hearse. In that order.
Maybe someone will retrofit an electric car with a fake lever that will pipe in engine sounds for you as you press a fake clutch. This is all literally about the sound, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe someone will retrofit an electric car with a fake lever that will pipe in engine sounds for you as you press a fake clutch. This is all literally about the sound, right?
Sound, and the feel of a perfectly executed heal-and-toe downshift before turning towards an apex. Then modulating throttle and countersteer on the way out. This is the most engaging driving situation for me. I've driven all the Tesla models, and didn't come anywhere close to having that sensation at all. Total lack of driver engagement.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
swanson733.00
      09-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Sound, and the feel of a perfectly executed heal-and-toe downshift before turning towards an apex. Then modulating throttle and countersteer on the way out. This is the most engaging driving situation for me. I've driven all the Tesla models, and didn't come anywhere close to having that sensation at all. Total lack of driver engagement.
Do you think formula 1 drivers are not engaged? They haven't had 3 pedals for a long time now.

I understand the fun factor of a manual gearbox, but I'm not buying justifications beyond "I like doing it just because it's cool".
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Do you think formula 1 drivers are not engaged? They haven't had 3 pedals for a long time now.

I understand the fun factor of a manual gearbox, but I'm not buying justifications beyond "I like doing it just because it's cool".
None of us are F1 drivers, where those milliseconds on the shifts etc actually matter. If you enjoy driving a sports car on a twisty then there is a real satisfaction you get from shifting your own gears, I think it makes the whole experience more engaging. If you like paddle shifters then cool, but lots of folks enjoy the experience of a manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Life long manual transmission owner 1M+ driven miles, and drove professionally in city traffic. Took my driver's license test in a manual trans car.

So my opinion is MOST manumatics in the current vehicle fleet for sale are not millisecond-shifting DCT, but are computer-controlled torque converter automatics. The point of shifting yourself is, as the driver, you can see the road and traffic environment and decide when and what gear you want to use to make the driving move you want to make. In auto mode, no manumatic can emulate that level of driver control. So if you drive like I do, which is fully engaged in the driving activity and use the lack of other drivers attention to their environment to gracefully make your way through traffic, you need to keep a manumatic in manual mode. MOST manumatics still suck at shifting manually (read as SLOW and less precise), so my preference is to use a 3rd pedal and shift when and how fast I want to at ANYTIME I want.

The art of street driving is profiling the cars and drivers around you (i.e. part of the driving environment), so that you can better control the situation. As Murf said, who gives a shit about millisecond shift speeds for street driving.

One man's opinion and preference.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-14-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread