ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I wonder, do I have bluetooth?

So, since I got my '05 privately and pre-owned, not to mention with no manuals etc, I'm missing a lot of info in terms of the original configuration of the car.

IF this car was equipped with bluetooth, how would I know? Is there a pairing button or something I should look for? I've been too chicken to press the talk button on the steering wheel, afraid I'll end up talking to BMW assist and they'll charge me money or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

If you've got bluetooth, there would be two buttons under a plastic shield at the base of the center console, behind the emergency brake. It would look like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
eu835795
nardi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 3.0 Z4

I have these buttons, I thought it was the BMW asist sytem not bluetooth. How do you activate it for bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
... I don't even know what to say about that previous post. Neither of those have anything to do with Bluetooth, those are the BMW assist and Roadside assistance buttons.

If you have bluetooth you will have a button on your steering wheel that looks like a mouth with a couple of curved lines coming out of it (voice commands button) and a button that says R/T which is used to pair your bluetooth with the system.

If you have a Z, the '05 should have Bluetooth.

edit: Plus BMW Assist can't charge you money if you have not called them and given them a credit card number. It would either not work or they would just ask you for a payment type.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
... I don't even know what to say about that previous post. Neither of those have anything to do with Bluetooth, those are the BMW assist and Roadside assistance buttons.
My point was you don't have those without Bluetooth - am I mistaken? It's entirely possible, since I've yet to get a cell phone, but I thought the RA package worked via the cellphone/bluetooth package.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Right, I've got those buttons and I'm aware they are for assist. Can anyone post or direct me to the pairing procedure? I have the voice and R/T buttons on my steering wheel.

Did all of the '05s come with bluetooth? I only have the premium and sport packages, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
If you look like 10 posts down you will see this thread...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90592

With these links in to with everything you need...

The instructions I gave should be pretty clear. You can also try the DIY thread on www.bimmerfest.com under the Z4 section. Page 3.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Right, I've got those buttons and I'm aware they are for assist. Can anyone post or direct me to the pairing procedure? I have the voice and R/T buttons on my steering wheel.

Did all of the '05s come with bluetooth? I only have the premium and sport packages, I believe.
If you have the premium package you have bluetooth. You should probably spring for a set of manuals from a BMW dealer because you will need them for more than just bluetooth. For pairing, you can muddle around in the phone menu and sooner or later you will run across pairing. I've paired two phones with two different BMW's and it can be tricky. Just keep trying - once connected, it will pair reliably after the first time.
Appreciate 0