ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
SteveChao
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive

Garage List
A General Comparison of Z4 Ideas

Hi All!

I am planning of joining the Z4 community as a newbie. I have begun my journey already with searching aimlessly through the forums, posts, and car listings to see which 2003-2008 Z4 would fit me best.

I am currently stuck on two cars:

1st Car: 2005 Z4 3.0 Roadster $11,250
Immaculate condition, AC Schnitzel rims, ECU tuning by Turner, Hikari LED's, dinan intake, differential gear ratio 3.23 to 3.73 for more torque, m front and rear bumpers, M sport bucket seats. This car is in CA and I'm in NY, i wouldnt be able to test drive it so i can only go by papers and the documents provided, and it seems like it was well maintained on carfax, no accidents. ODO is 96,000 miles (Private seller)

2nd Car: 2005 Z4 3.0 Roadster $13,100
Great condition, usual stock items you would see on a roadster, maintenance was done and car is great. ODO is 65000 miles, no accidents either and carfax is good. However, this car is in Boston which is a 3 hr drive and I can personally test drive it. (Dealer)

I am stuck between these two or in general, the 1st option against any other new listing that pops up from now. I want to be able to customize it and maintain it myself but since the option is available, I wanted to get some opinions from seasoned experts or at least a consensus.
Should the option of test driving be the make or break option? Does the high mileage of the first option cause discomfort? Am I able to take off from work to do this? (probably not)

Thanks ZPost!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. 1st one will feel stronger with the 3.73 gears but will take a gas mileage hit. You'll have to weigh your own needs and figure which is more important. I'm kinda meh on the fancy rims and the M bumper (but I'm kinda old school so just ignore that).

The sport seats are a definite plus in my opinion - wish my car had them. But, you'll need to pay to get it transported to NY and it's got 1/3 more miles on it.

I assume they're both the same color and same transmission? If you're interested in customizing one, I'd start with the one that was most stock to begin with (2nd car) and then customize it the way YOU want it - and not start with someone else's project.

Regardless of which you lean toward, have a PPI done because a professional may find some issues that you wouldn't necessarily notice.

Good luck and welcome to our world.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChao View Post
Hi All!

I am planning of joining the Z4 community as a newbie. I have begun my journey already with searching aimlessly through the forums, posts, and car listings to see which 2003-2008 Z4 would fit me best.

Immaculate condition, AC Schnitzel rims, ECU tuning by Turner, Hikari LED's, dinan intake, differential gear ratio 3.23 to 3.73 for more torque, m front and rear bumpers, M sport bucket seats. This car is in CA and I'm in NY, i wouldnt be able to test drive it so i can only go by papers and the documents provided, and it seems like it was well maintained on carfax, no accidents. ODO is 96,000 miles (Private seller)

Great condition, usual stock items you would see on a roadster, maintenance was done and car is great. ODO is 65000 miles, no accidents either and carfax is good. However, this car is in Boston which is a 3 hr drive and I can personally test drive it. (Dealer)

I am stuck between these two or in general, the 1st option against any other new listing that pops up from now. I want to be able to customize it and maintain it myself but since the option is available, I wanted to get some opinions from seasoned experts or at least a consensus.
Should the option of test driving be the make or break option? Does the high mileage of the first option cause discomfort? Am I able to take off from work to do this? (probably not)

Thanks ZPost!
In general, when buying any car new or used, have a clear head and use your gut. Don't let excitement get the best of you. Have you driven one before? My first dream car was a trans am, the romance was over after actually driving one lol. I'm biased for loving my Z4 so I wouldn't think you could go wrong, but if you've not driven a E85 you might not be able to tolerate where the soft top blocks your view at your head when up. All mirrors can adjust so no real blind spot when using mirrors correctly but it's a spot when the Mrs drives it that drives her up the wall.

That said don't be afraid of the mileage listed. I'm at 108k have had the car since 64k and for 10 years. If you're not able to test drive request as many pics/videos and even Skype/zoom/FaceTime how ever you can to get as much "live" time virtually with the car as you can. I bought mine from a dealer out of state without driving it. Make sure to dot your I's cross your T's just as if you were there. There's plenty of things to look for with any car, easy start is to search for common wear/tear areas and simple things that should be done at what ever given mileage you're looking at. For example try to get underneath shots, wear suspension areas, look into basic item replacements like disa, vanos upgrades, look for leaky valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, remember basic car buying stuff. Listen closely to the engine running from every angle possible. If you see things on the car missing or hear something odd or the seller being less than accommodating walk away.

As far as choosing one over the other, all up to you. Do you want blank canvas with low miles or some bits done you don't have to spend on with higher miles? For private seller check on any/all receipts for added stuff that doesn't make it to carfax. See if they happen to be on here and if there's logs of history you can get from the car from them posting on boards about their car/build. I have a huge file compiled over the years of work that will never be on carfax so the more dialogue with the private seller owner the more you can learn about the cars history. Make your decision based on how confident you are from there about each cars integrity. Both from how you describe sound like solid interests.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks ZPost!
In general, when buying any car new or used, have a clear head and use your gut. Don't let excitement get the best of you. Have you driven one before? My first dream car was a trans am, the romance was over after actually driving one lol. I'm biased for loving my Z4 so I wouldn't think you could go wrong, but if you've not driven a E85 you might not be able to tolerate where the soft top blocks your view at your head when up. All mirrors can adjust so no real blind spot when using mirrors correctly but it's a spot when the Mrs drives it that drives her up the wall.

That said don't be afraid of the mileage listed. I'm at 108k have had the car since 64k and for 10 years. If you're not able to test drive request as many pics/videos and even Skype/zoom/FaceTime how ever you can to get as much "live" time virtually with the car as you can. I bought mine from a dealer out of state without driving it. Make sure to dot your I's cross your T's just as if you were there. There's plenty of things to look for with any car, easy start is to search for common wear/tear areas and simple things that should be done at what ever given mileage you're looking at. For example try to get underneath shots, wear suspension areas, look into basic item replacements like disa, vanos upgrades, look for leaky valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, remember basic car buying stuff. Listen closely to the engine running from every angle possible. If you see things on the car missing or hear something odd or the seller being less than accommodating walk away.

As far as choosing one over the other, all up to you. Do you want blank canvas with low miles or some bits done you don't have to spend on with higher miles? For private seller check on any/all receipts for added stuff that doesn't make it to carfax. See if they happen to be on here and if there's logs of history you can get from the car from them posting on boards about their car/build. I have a huge file compiled over the years of work that will never be on carfax so the more dialogue with the private seller owner the more you can learn about the cars history. Make your decision based on how confident you are from there about each cars integrity. Both from how you describe sound like solid interests.
I'm definitely going to test drive it then. I can only imagine if I were pay top dollar and then I hate the car. I'll wait it out for a bit longer and see if there are more options that pop up. I feel like maybe my emotions almost got the best of me.
My gf would love to sit in one with my puppy down a mountainside, I guarantee it. Although I am around 6 ft tall so I hope it won't hinder my driving comfortability.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. 1st one will feel stronger with the 3.73 gears but will take a gas mileage hit. You'll have to weigh your own needs and figure which is more important. I'm kinda meh on the fancy rims and the M bumper (but I'm kinda old school so just ignore that).

The sport seats are a definite plus in my opinion - wish my car had them. But, you'll need to pay to get it transported to NY and it's got 1/3 more miles on it.

I assume they're both the same color and same transmission? If you're interested in customizing one, I'd start with the one that was most stock to begin with (2nd car) and then customize it the way YOU want it - and not start with someone else's project.

Regardless of which you lean toward, have a PPI done because a professional may find some issues that you wouldn't necessarily notice.

Good luck and welcome to our world.
Thanks for the amazing insight! I definitely considered all of the pros and cons. I believe I will be going to delayed route to find the best one for me. I feel like the excitement almost got a hold of me and I should wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks ZPost!

I'm definitely going to test drive it then. I can only imagine if I were pay top dollar and then I hate the car. I'll wait it out for a bit longer and see if there are more options that pop up. I feel like maybe my emotions almost got the best of me.
My gf would love to sit in one with my puppy down a mountainside, I guarantee it. Although I am around 6 ft tall so I hope it won't hinder my driving comfortability.
I'm 6' as well, you'll have no problem with room unless you start tracking it. Stock seats probably won't let your helmet clear the broomstick test. A must for convertibles.

Besides that the first Z4 I ever drove it was a joy from the start. At first backing up you need to get use to not being able to see behind your left shoulder. That's why basic mirror position is a must. Easy when tops down. I didn't buy the first I drove. Was an 08 si and sold before I could get my car back for trade. Lucky cause next day found out the place my wife worked at was going belly up. So a Z4 wasn't out of the question just had to change the details on it. I drove 3 others before deciding to buy mine, never driving it until it was delivered from the dealer I got it from. Just like you I joined the boards (z4-forum) from the beginning of my search so you are quite wise welcome aboard
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I’m 6’ 1 and I have no issues when the roof is closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I’m 6’ 1 and I have no issues when the roof is closed.
Haha, thank you for giving me an idea of what to expect. I can't wait for this journey to start, I'm really excited. Now hopefully I can find a good one in the midst of the spring/summer coming up cause all of the mid life crisis type people and fanatics are going to be bananas over the cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks ZPost!

I'm 6' as well, you'll have no problem with room unless you start tracking it. Stock seats probably won't let your helmet clear the broomstick test. A must for convertibles.

Besides that the first Z4 I ever drove it was a joy from the start. At first backing up you need to get use to not being able to see behind your left shoulder. That's why basic mirror position is a must. Easy when tops down. I didn't buy the first I drove. Was an 08 si and sold before I could get my car back for trade. Lucky cause next day found out the place my wife worked at was going belly up. So a Z4 wasn't out of the question just had to change the details on it. I drove 3 others before deciding to buy mine, never driving it until it was delivered from the dealer I got it from. Just like you I joined the boards (z4-forum) from the beginning of my search so you are quite wise welcome aboard
Yeah I was even considering a 2011 hardtop Z4 too but I decided I like the 03-08 style more. I just hope I find a good deal or a good version of the car without having to give an arm and a leg.
So many people have told me it's impractical and I should get a coupe or a Miata or a FRS or BRZ. But I just like the look of BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I'm 6' tall and have both a 99 miata and an 08 M coupe. The Z4 is much friendlier for taller people. For me, the sport seats with extendable thigh support are a must have. I would also prefer a stock car over someone else's project unless you can check every detail of the build. Otherwise you'll end up spending money correcting any cut corners or taking mods you don't like back to stock.

For the miata, a 1st or second gen miata will need some mods to not feel cramped. The steering wheel being fixed in place limits a lot of stuff. The steering wheel tilts starting with the 3rd gen but doesn't telescope until the 2019 model year!
      04-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
I'm 6' tall and have both a 99 miata and an 08 M coupe. The Z4 is much friendlier for taller people. For me, the sport seats with extendable thigh support are a must have. I would also prefer a stock car over someone else's project unless you can check every detail of the build. Otherwise you'll end up spending money correcting any cut corners or taking mods you don't like back to stock.

For the miata, a 1st or second gen miata will need some mods to not feel cramped. The steering wheel being fixed in place limits a lot of stuff. The steering wheel tilts starting with the 3rd gen but doesn't telescope until the 2019 model year!
You're right, I have decided to stay stock and do it myself, buying someone else's project just didn't feel right and that's why I felt so weird. I'm glad I asked cause I didn't know what the implications were to buy someone else's project and if they were nit-picky or corner cutting.

Unfortunately all the z4's out here available are either really far across the country or 1-2 accidents. I guess it's the wrong time for a convertible since it's spring summer season.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #12
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Steve -

Decide what you want and then.....be patient. There's also nothing wrong with placing a "Want to Buy" request over in the Members Classified section of the Forum. Who knows what'll pop up.

If you make compromises on what you want based on what's available right now, you may end up regretting your decision. The Z4 convertible is plentiful enough that you should not have to settle on what's available.

Good luck with your search.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Another thought for you Steve - check out the local ZSCCA chapter FB pages (it looks like there are 3 in NY) - sometimes member cars come up for sale there. Also, if you express an interest in a Z4 but that you've never actually riden or driven on, someone local may help you out with that as well.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
Another thought for you Steve - check out the local ZSCCA chapter FB pages (it looks like there are 3 in NY) - sometimes member cars come up for sale there. Also, if you express an interest in a Z4 but that you've never actually riden or driven on, someone local may help you out with that as well.
Great ideas! I just did those things and waiting for my journey to come into fruition. You've been a great help, all of the thread contributors!

Ready and willing to learn about this journey!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It sounds to me as if you have not had any seat time in a Z4 yet? That has to be your first step. There could be some minor issue which would drive you nuts. Also be aware the tech is quite old and it isn't easy to upgrade it to current standards. Make sure to drive both standard and M variants if the finances allow as they are quite different beasts.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
It sounds to me as if you have not had any seat time in a Z4 yet? That has to be your first step. There could be some minor issue which would drive you nuts. Also be aware the tech is quite old and it isn't easy to upgrade it to current standards. Make sure to drive both standard and M variants if the finances allow as they are quite different beasts.
Your ears are giving you the right idea, i have yet to sit in one yet because the damn dealers keep "selling out" whenever I ask them when I can see it. Like today I was going to test drive a Z4 in PA but the dealer was like sorry to but we sold it, they literally just messaged me 9 mins ago about my interest in the car. I mean I guess it's a coincidence but I'll do my best to sit in one if I can ever find one or an updated version of the Z4. But then I'll have to move myself into the other forum for the 2020+ z4's 😝
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #17
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Oh in there that's the gem of it all lol less tech more drivers cars. Hop over to the MKV Supra boards and see how much issues with the tech they have. And it's not just those it's really every maker cramming useless tech supposedly to help drivers but only distracts them more lol. Done with soap box
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
If it were me, I'd be looking for a 3.0si with sport pkg that has spent it's life well south of the snow belt
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Oh in there that's the gem of it all lol less tech more drivers cars. Hop over to the MKV Supra boards and see how much issues with the tech they have. And it's not just those it's really every maker cramming useless tech supposedly to help drivers but only distracts them more lol. Done with soap box
And I completely agree with you Piper. Just telling him the limitations in case he thinks it will be easy to upgrade the infotainment to the latest gear once he finds one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
If it were me, I'd be looking for a 3.0si with sport pkg that has spent it's life well south of the snow belt
Or is garaged nightly and stored in winter!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #21
SteveChao
Rep

Garage List
For all the owners of the Z4, is the sport button really needed? Cause I have a sport button in my f30 and I don't really use it much or are those cars somewhat better?
I found a couple that doesn't have that button and some that do. So that's my current dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For all the owners of the Z4, is the sport button really needed? Cause I have a sport button in my f30 and I don't really use it much or are those cars somewhat better?
I found a couple that doesn't have that button and some that do. So that's my current dilemma.
In a word. Yes lol. Without/off steering feels much softer less responsive, there were early debut negative reviews of the Z4 where people hated the steering feel. Even if it didn't change throttle response I'd want it for the steering, unless you do hydraulic conversion which someone will correct me if I'm wrong but think it's only been done to the m54. For throttle the sport benefits autos a bit more helping you rev higher before it'd shift on you giving more driver control, I believe the same crispness response for both auto/manual. I also think someone's figured a way for sport to be on from start rather than having to push the button all the time.
Appreciate 0