ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Manual Shifter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Sticky Column

Hello All,

This is my first post. Please forgive me if this thread as already been beaten to death. I'm looking to purchase an inexpensive sports car, and the BMW Z4 seems to fit what I'm looking for in one. I've been looking at 2003 to 2004 year models since to seem to fall into the price range that I can afford. however, now I'm reading about the engineering problem with the steering columns in these year models. I've test driven a couple of these year models (a 2003 2.5 and a 2004 3.0) before I heard about this problem. Didn't notice this issue in either, however, from what I've been reading the sticky column problem doesn't show up until after the car has warmed up for about a half hour or so, or on a really hot day. Since this would be strictly a summer car up here in the Northeast, this is a major concern. I'm guessing that since this is an engineering defect then all these Z4 model years would be affected with this problem. The fix, so I've been reading, is to have the column replaced to the tune of about $3800.
So, here's my questions:
1. If one was to go for the $3800 column replacement, would that be a newly engineered column, minus the old defect?
2. Would I be better off adding that $3800 to my purchase budget and buy a latter model year that doesn't have the column defect? If that's the answer, then does anyone know which Z4 model year did BMW start putting in the corrected columns?

Thanks in advance,
Manual Shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
thrak410
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

I was able to fix mine by adjusting the small 'collar' on the column from the drivers side footwell.

Mine was REALLY bad and I was able to dial it out almost 100%. I also drilled a hole and added more grease inside.

From what I've researched, its an issue with the OEM grease breaking down, and also the worm gear swelling when it gets hot. Being that I live in Atlanta, we have many hot days, many many more than N.E., and it really only got intolerable in 90+ degree days.

If everything else on the car was what you wanted, I wouldnt rule it out for this issue, with the understanding that you may need to do some 'shadetree' work on it.
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      05-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak410 View Post
I was able to fix mine by adjusting the small 'collar' on the column from the drivers side footwell.

Mine was REALLY bad and I was able to dial it out almost 100%. I also drilled a hole and added more grease inside.

From what I've researched, its an issue with the OEM grease breaking down, and also the worm gear swelling when it gets hot. Being that I live in Atlanta, we have many hot days, many many more than N.E., and it really only got intolerable in 90+ degree days.

If everything else on the car was what you wanted, I wouldnt rule it out for this issue, with the understanding that you may need to do some 'shadetree' work on it.

Same here. Had my 04 for about 5-6 year now and this year if the first time I have had it show up. I Googled it and did the collar adjustment and it seem 100% gone. It is not a hard adjustment, but is tedious and took some patients and thinking outside the box to get to the screws. Access was the only issue, would have been 30 min fix if you could get to the screws.

Still a super easy fix compared to a $4k column replacement that will have the same issues in time.

Don't sweat it.
      05-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Have a 03 2.5 roadster for cheap if you want. I just upgraded to a 08 3.0si coupe so I don't need it anymore...so says the wife. Haha. No steering issues in the 08 model but the 03 does when hot. My 03 is a solid little car, that year is very easy to work on, lot less electrical sensors and such. And you can actually check the fluids unlike the 08 model. The 2.5 has plenty of power honestly and the sport mode makes it feel peppy, especially with the 5sp. The 3.0si is a whole different animal.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Manual Shifter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Sticky Column

Hello All,

Thanks for your useful responses. Sounds like you figured out a workable solution. Sure beats installing an expensive new column, which would just have the same engineering defect as the one it would be replacing. I had started to think maybe these cars were a bad choice just for this specific problem, but maybe now I'll revisit looking at Z4s, or possibly a less expensive Z3 in decent shape. Would really like to get a nice little manual shift sports car for the summer for my wife and I to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Shifter View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for your useful responses. Sounds like you figured out a workable solution. Sure beats installing an expensive new column, which would just have the same engineering defect as the one it would be replacing. I had started to think maybe these cars were a bad choice just for this specific problem, but maybe now I'll revisit looking at Z4s, or possibly a less expensive Z3 in decent shape. Would really like to get a nice little manual shift sports car for the summer for my wife and I to drive.
These cars are great other than that issue! The crazy part is even my 2003 roadster still gets treated like a high end sports car from now. The red color helps too, some of the more bland colors make them look a little out dated.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Hello All,

They really are good little cars. So far mine has been pretty easy to work on, but most things I have done have been elective items like springs, shocks/struts, pads and rotors, bushing, etc. Besides the alternator (goes out on all cars eventually) and the sticky steering - it has been a pretty bomb proof car. Fairly cheap to buy for what you get, fun to drive, and get pretty good gas mileage when you are on longer cruises. Pretty nice sized truck for such a small car. Still gets lots of looks and compliments for such an old cheap car.

Cons are - not a comfortable car for long drives (to me anyway) and only 2 seats, but then that is not why I bought it - so not a huge problem. Would not want it as my ONLY car, but goes well with my SUV DD.
      06-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Hello All,

Let me chime in. I have a E86 Z4 Coupe and a 1997 Z3 roadster, so I can comment on the build quality of both the E85/86 Z4 and the E37 Z3. If you are hesitant about buying a 2003 Z4 Roadster just because of a simple known and repairable problem with the steering column, then don't even consider a Z3. We've had the Z3 since new and it is now 22 years old at 188,000 miles. The Z3 was one of the first cars built in the BMW manufacturing plant in Spartanburg, SC and has build quality issues out the yin-yang. While overall it is a typical BMW that will last forever drivetrain-wise, the body build quality is terrible, especially the interior. The Z3 is a great car to drive, but it requires a mechanic to own one. I'm a serious DIY'er so I have no issues owning one and my wife who actually owns it, will not let it go, so I have to fix it when it breaks ANYTHING plastic in a Z3 will eventually break, even things like the seat rail bushings, which makes the seat move around annoyingly. And yup, someone came up with a fix for it, Delrin (plastic) bushings, but you have to disassemble the seat rails to install the bushings on the worm-drive screws... (an example of the level of DIY you need to do to own a Z3)

Now the E85/86 (roadster/ coupe) is a completely differently built automobile (out of the same factory a decade later). The build quality of the E85/86 Z4 is exemplary and night and day different than a Z3.

For a few thousand more, just get a 2006 and up Z4 with the N52. A friend of mine has a 2007 Roadster. I just drove it for the first time last weekend, and it is way better than a Z3.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0