ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I need to drive your car to check out these tires!

HEY - finally an excuse for an Atlantic Canada road trip and photo essay!!!
Huz-Z,

Hey, sounds good to me!

I do, in fact, like the third-gen Bridgestone run flats a lot. They've softened the sidewalls significantly, to get better ride and less tramlining, and they use a special sidewall "fan" that is designed to help cool the sidewalls when running flat. I would guess that these tires are not as robust as earlier ones when flat, but they should be more than good enough.

And you're very welcome to give mine a try whenever we figure out the halfway point!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
That is what I have now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
unluky,

If you'd like to stay with run flats but avoid their harsh ride and tendency to tramline, then consider a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT tires. They're designed to have ride and tracking characteristics like regular tires but still have the run flat capability.

I put a set on my Z4 roadster about a year ago and have been very pleased with them. The corner entry "turn in" isn't quite as responsive as with my prior Bridgestone run flats, but it's fine for my purposes. In addition, they incorporate silica in the tread material, which is a great advantage in the rain.

With my older tires, I had the same problems you described. It took a lot of concentration (not to mention courage!) to stay on your intended course through a construction zone or bumpy section of road. The difference with Bridgestone's third-generation run flats was like night and day--and you still have the benefits of a run flat.

Just my two cents...

Rick F.

These are actually what are on it now that I want to replace! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
These are actually what are on it now that I want to replace! Lol
unluky,

Seriously? I'm astonished!

Do the sidewalls look like this, with the vertical "fans" around the edge? I'm wondering if you might have an earlier, second-generation version of these tires.

My older Bridgestones had exactly the problems you described, and they all went away when I put on the third-gen run flats. So I'm puzzled.

It might be worth checking your alignment. Problems with either front or rear toe settings can cause similar instability problems.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
I went with the DWS as my GF has them on her Acura TL and they ride great and are nice and quiet on hers. They seem to have tamed 90% of what I was feeling. Now for a alignment and we will see where we get from there. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #27
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Nope - you are right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
unluky,

Seriously? I'm astonished!

Do the sidewalls look like this, with the vertical "fans" around the edge? I'm wondering if you might have an earlier, second-generation version of these tires.

My older Bridgestones had exactly the problems you described, and they all went away when I put on the third-gen run flats. So I'm puzzled.

It might be worth checking your alignment. Problems with either front or rear toe settings can cause similar instability problems.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Rick F.

Mine did not have the fans on them so they must have been an earlier version. Not too worried about flats though. I have has my 300 for 12 years now and never had a flat on it. I am sure I will survive! Thanks for the pic.
Appreciate 0