ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
Perfectphoto
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Sport

I need a water Pump cheap Ebay vs OEM?

I'm sure that this has been covered but I can find any info on this. I have a 06 Z4 3.0i 6 speed. The water pump went out and I need a new one. I buys a lot of parts for my four BMWs on Ebay and I have had some great luck. This is my first car with a electric water pump and I haven't replaced one before. The price difference is all over the place. What is anyone experience with the cheaper ones? I know that when you buy the cheap sensors like CPS they are crap but other stuff seems to be ok. Anyone that has experience with buying the cheaper water pumps I would love to hear from you. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

With such an important part of the engine there are times and more specifically components that one should not procure from eBay.

An electric water pump is one of them, so check out ECS Tuning/Turner Motorsport, FCP Euro and other BMW-centric companies that sell lots of them and see if you are comfortable with getting one from a reputable company.

I replaced mine but went with a brand that is well known. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

TBH I wonder if there is an imitation supplier for these pumps.
The OEM ones are made by pierburg (or Rheinmetall automotive), and I think that all major generic suppliers (like Febi, Mezger, Optimal; I dont know if these also operate in the US) buy them at Pierburg.
I even think that the Hepu one (Hepu is a high quality aftermarket waterpump manufacturer) is also made by Pierburg as its quite a complex part to imitate.
Maybe there is a china imitation version.

But if you get a Pierburg one you know you have something equal to the original product as Pierburg is the OEM

Be sure to get one with the replacement bolts (the aluminium bolts are one time use)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-02-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      03-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Perfectphoto
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Sport

Thanks for the reply's
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My other BMW with an N52 is my 2006 E90. On a hot 100 deg. F day in July 2011 with 149,000 miles on the odo, the pump went out. It had been throwing codes since April 2011, but I didn't know what they meant; no one did back in 2011. In April 2008 BMW changed the P/N (ends in "925") of the pump with a revised design. Now at 367,000 on the E90, the replacement "925" pump has yet to throw a trouble code. At over 218,000 miles on it, the "925" pump has been the highest miles I've gotten out of any water pump, regardless of construction, I've had on any of my cars.

I suggest buying an OE/OEM pump from BMW/aftermarket.

My 2 cents on the subject.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-03-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0