ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Dougj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5

Door lock problem

My drivers door does not want to unlock with the key button or the center console button, but will lock with both. I can hear the mechanism working, but the little button does not come up. It will work fine using the key in the door or inside door handle. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
eddvus0.00
      10-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougj View Post
My drivers door does not want to unlock with the key button or the center console button, but will lock with both. I can hear the mechanism working, but the little button does not come up. It will work fine using the key in the door or inside door handle. Any ideas?
I would like to get some help on this as I have the same problem on my driver side door

actuator makes a sound but does not succed at lifting the lock
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Battery problems?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

^if it was the battery the mechanism wouldn't sound. The car also wouldn't start.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

this is a known issue
I think there is a TSB on it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
jcutrell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I had this problem on the passenger's side. I sprayed a little silicon down and around the button. It seems to have helped.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

It seems to work randomly, If I keep locking unlocking it eventually lifts the lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
this is a known issue
I think there is a TSB on it.
I cant find anything on the subject?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

i have a similar problem. When I unlock/lock the button pops up super slow, like its struggling. In contrast,the passenger side pops up quick. Sometimes I have to pull the door unlock latch hard when exiting from the driver seat.

One time I went to close the door and it refused. I think the latch was in the closed position when it should have been in the open position.

Is this a sign of a bad door lock acuator?

Is this the right part?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

I have read changing the lock actuator is not a DIY project because you need a special "BOWMAN" tool?

Any updates on this TSB?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I have the same problem on the passenger side. If I keep pressing the button it eventually opens but it can take like 10-20 tries. Anyone has the TSB?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
satyros
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Hi all, my drivers side door will not open!!!! The pin goes up and down when i lock/unlock it but the door will not open...anyone has any ideas what it might be? |Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Door lock actuator ... had similar issue on my E46. Horribly expensive part and such a pain in the a$$ to fix yourself. My issue was opening the door from the outside. I could from inside but not out. Sometimes I would press the unlock button and nothing happened. After I had BMW fix it (replace it) and it worked fine.

Check fuses as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
satyros
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

what was the cost to fix it? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyros View Post
what was the cost to fix it? thanks
BMW reused my actuator but just lubed it and tinkered with it. They did however replace the entrie cable and inside door part since that was not tight enough to unlock from outside. I think the total cost was around $400. If I wanted to include the actuator it jumped to like $1,000. After that it worked fine, I sold the car so no idea if it is still working.

I got quotes from a bunch of indy shops to do it but none could or wanted to try. Something to do with the electronics and programing the car they claimed. I think they just didn't want to take the time to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
DroZee4
Bmw Junglist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5I Sport Package

Had the same issue with the drivers door. The actuator was replaced and the problem persisted. Since I've only had the car for less then a little over a month Bmw fixed it but wouldn't let me see the invoice since the dealer was paying fo r it. Now everything works fine but the door rattles now when going over bumpy roads. Ugh.......
      01-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Sorry for the off topic but I have a 2006 3.0si coupe and would like to know if I can make my doors lock automatically seconds after I close all doors? Instead of having to click the lock doors button near the shifter. Anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #16
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
Sorry for the off topic but I have a 2006 3.0si coupe and would like to know if I can make my doors lock automatically seconds after I close all doors? Instead of having to click the lock doors button near the shifter. Anyone know if there is a way to do this?
Bit of a thread jack but I believe the doors can be programmed to lock with speed, but not while sitting in the car not moving.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
FSHFACE
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I had a similar problem. The lock knob would come up but the door wouldn't open. I took the panel off and found the exterior door handle has a cable from the handle to the latch. When the window comes down it pushes this cable down and prevents the door from unlocked. I pushed the cable up and duct taped it to the backside of the handle. I couldn't get the exterior handle off but I would've rather zip tied it to the backside of the handle. Since I've taped it it's working great. Not sure if you have the same problem but I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHFACE View Post
..... I took the panel off .....
I find that things like this are often, not always, but often solved by actually looking at the problem.

We've all heard the "...we have to replace 90% of your car because the x-part doesn't work..." argument from dealerships (especially). It's convenient for the dealer, generates revenue, but it is rarely the only solution.

There are very few problems with moving parts that cannot be fixed by repositioning a component a little and providing some lubrication. Sometimes you can even fabricate a worn plastic part with JB-Weld. Sometimes there's a fix with reprogramming (as in the fix for windows that only come part way up etc.). As a last resort, there's always eBay for cheap used parts. It's going inside the door. It doesn't have to be shiny.

If something works sometimes then it has a high probability of working all the time with a little care and attention. If an owner simply keeps forcing something to work it will, more often than not, give up and break.

Of course, I have learned this the hard way.
$0.02

PS : Ron Stygar's posts are brilliant for this sort of thing. Look him up. Ron_at_unofficialbmw.com

Last edited by EenyBear; 04-20-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
FSHFACE
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Update: my door wouldn't open today. I pulled the panel off and my tape had come unhoooked. I zip tied it (with the help of my son's smaller hands) to the back of the handle and it works again. If you're having this problem, check the cable from exterior handle to the latch. The widow pushes it down and won't let the door open.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found out part of my problem was that I was double pressing the unlock button too fast.

Apparently you have to press wait press and it unlocks the passenger door.

pretty dumb of me but I was used to other cars where a quick double tap is required.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

[QUOTE=rkstar9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougj View Post
Google GM5 Module and read up - not unlocking 1 or both doors using the key or inside button is classic gm5. It houses the relays for power windows and doors. There is a website under the same name that can fix the gm5 for cheap compared to a new one. http://www.bmwgm5.com/

Good luck
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 08-27-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Z4G
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4

Door vs. Console

2003 E85 Z4
Check your console...I know it sounds strange.
My passenger door randomly or very slowly unlocks, it struggles, or the plunger barely raises. It always appears as if the plunger is getting caught in the sleeve and can't easily rise. This isn't the issue. Well, this week, with the top down, in scorching heat, she wouldn't rise at all. Plus, I couldn't get into the console.

I opened the console using the string that goes to the trunk. Upon further review, you can tell all these over-engineered pieces of plastic that look like a mouse trap are forced to lock the console and prevent the top from being opened when parked. Too much going on. It makes a Briggs & Stratton governor look like child's play. All that plastic binds in heat. I sanded some areas that looked like they were rubbing and lubed the mechanism which likely gets dusty from the open air driving. I also made sure the top of the console is retained to the rear or else the top release button scrapes as you depress the button. Of course, previous maintenance had broke some of the clips so that needed securing.

My impression is that any sort of resistance soaks up all the juice and the passenger door is the last in line or later than the driver door and console. It's embarrassing when double pressing, in sequence, the key fob and only the driver door opens. The fix above didn't even touch the passenger door but now it (passenger door) unlocks every time. Key FOB action: First press = drivers door, Second press = console and passengers door.

Also, 5 years ago, when I bought the car, I wanted the console lock to work, so I replaced the actuator. Additionally, the console would open with the center console button when the car was locked but top down, so there is a TSP where they fix that for free.
Appreciate 0