ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Test Drove 2 Cars. stereos sounded diff

So this past weekend I finally got out and test drove 2 Z4 M Coupes. I loved it. I am seriously considering the first one I looked at but the stereo sounded better on the 2nd one. It just had more sound whereas with the first car, it seemed the sound was only coming out of the front. Maybe the seat was in the wrong position and it was blocking the speakers or something?
BTW, both cars had premium package.

I checked the settings. played with DSP and it still didn't change it much. The fade and balance were centered as well. Anything I'm missing? I wish I would of looked at the settings on the second car but didnt' think about it until after the fact. Any ideas of what could be wrong? or am I just crazy?

Hope to be a Z owner soon

BTW- I only listened to the stereo after the test drive. While driving I was listening to the "REAL" stereo aka the S54

Last edited by Blind32; 02-22-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

youre probably crazy

dsp was probably off on one of the cars.

im not too thrilled about the sound in our cars...i feel like my 335 had a better stock system.
      03-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Twice the rear speakers would go off suddenly. Restarting the car brought them back to life. It happened to me only twice, so I never made a big deal out of it.

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
Twice the rear speakers would go off suddenly. Restarting the car brought them back to life. It happened to me only twice, so I never made a big deal out of it.
ya know lately ive noticed that my system has been lacking bass....for a while i thought the speakers had gone out...

but then again maybe im going crazy too.
      03-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Blind32
United_States
Rep

I'm most likely going to get that car anyways. Who needs a stereo when you can listen to the S54 sing!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Did they both have navi, or did one and not the other?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Neither had navi. but I ended up getting one with navi without even listening to the radio much less seeing the car in real life. I'm guessing the speakers were blown or the dsp settings were tweeked now that I know these cars better.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I haven't listened to much music besides testing out the ipod in the aux jack for a bit, but as far as I could tell, the sound quality was similar to the Carver system in my 3.0si.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Who needs a stereo when you can listen to the S54 sing!
+1! To be honest I haven't felt the need to listen to music in either car, and this is coming from a guy with a five-figure investment in audio equipment at home. The cabin just isn't quiet enough to provide a good environment for music, with the road/wind/engine noise. Plus, the engine provides more than enough music for my ears.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Probably different bal tone and effects settings. That being said, BMW's sound system sucks. I posted recently that Bavarian Soundwerkes will be coming out with replacement speakers for the Z4 and their site indicates a retail price of $400. Now, for all the work they've put into their driver selection, I don't begrudge them a righteous markup, and I'll definitely be a buyer when they come on the market.
I still can't believe how bad the Premium Sound system is. I can only think they had a tin eared marketing type, working with some cheapass beancounters in charge of buying the drivers for the sound system. They could have spent another $50 and had a respectable sound system, as the head unit is decent and, hell, they jammed a lot of speakers into the space---Phil Spectre's "wall of sound" would have loved it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
hummarz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Isnt there 3 different types of Stereos in these? The basic, the hifi 10 and the carver hi fi 10? Maybe one had the hifi 10 and the other had the carver hifi 10?
Appreciate 0