ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Radio problems!! - loose head-unit connection????

I posted this in the general Z4 section, not realizing (as a noob) that there was a better spot for it, can't figure out how to delete it so I can put it in here, so, here it is again..... (sorry!)

Hey everyone; I have recently purchased a 06' 3.0 with a business CD/basic hifi - pre-owned, no warranty, and need to diagnose a radio problem with your help.

I will often loose all AM/FM signals, sometimes they just become faded, other times they go to complete static.

Over a period of time I have checked the antenna connections in the trunk, checked the antenna itself, and then today, I noticed that I got the reception back when I pressed the buttons on the head unit.

I then figured out that it wasn't the buttons I was pressing; rather, it was the action of "pushing" on the head unit that brought back the reception ...... intermittently.

I went on to push other areas of the head unit to find out that when the signal drops out, if I push on the trim just above the CD slot, I fully regain the AM/FM signal, sometimes it stays until I hit a bump, other times the signal drops again when I stop pushing.

The trim only moves inward a couple of millimeters, the radio doesn't appear to have been mis-mounted or adjusted, so I'm stuck with thinking that I am just pressing the head unit inward and making something complete a circuit.

With that being said, I believe there is a short or a loose connection in the head unit somewhere, whether it’s the wire harness on the back of the head unit, or something within the head unit itself ...... I'm in the dark.

Since I live in the hot south (Georgia) and will often see a lot of condensation on the dash vents just above the radio when the A/C is on, I also wonder if the condensation has dripped onto the head unit and corroded some parts?

I will be pulling the vents and then the head unit this weekend, when and if I get time, to investigate further, but figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thnx!!!

Best regards,
Greg
Appreciate 0