ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Transmission fluid for racing application

Those of you who see frequently track their car, what's your recommended transmission fluid?

I've been running RP Synchromax for 3 years on a car that makes quite a bit of power and sees about 10 HPDE events a year. I never had gear shifting issues but noticed some odd noises that I am starting to believe are from the transmission, primarily input shaft bearing I suppose.

I can't blame the fluid, but I don't hear much about RPS being stout for race applications. If it's good for the synchros, can it be good for the bearings/gears?

I also don't see much input on best oil for racing applications. Everyone has their preference and that is that. If anyone here can provide evidence of heavy track time, and no transmission issues with a specific oil, it could help me decide if I should change. Thanks!
      09-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
10 HPDE's a year nice! I haven't done track days in a while but used Redline fluids on my previous cars that I used for track duty. I've had a few modified Miatas and Mr2s that was using Redline tranny fluids and the transmissions held up fine under high revs and heavy boost. However, after a while I did have to replace a transmission on my Miata but that's expected when you're attending 6-10 track days a year.

When I get back into HPDE's I will limit 1-2 events a year. I know RP is the favorite here but maybe Redline might work for you?

Track on 2 wheels is a different story, whenever the lockdown ends I will attend 3-6x a year.
Appreciate 0