ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Phillg328i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sedan

Help the noob! Turn signals stay on at times.

Purchaced a 2006 Z4 3.0i "46000 miles" a few months ago and noticed the left turn would stay on at times even thou the lever was canceling. Now the right side is doing it intermittently too. Also noticed the airbag light on when this happens. The left or right signal may stay on for 3 to 60 second after cancelling but when it does stop flashing, the airbag light goes out. Anyone have any idea what might cause this. Regards, GP
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillg328i View Post
Purchaced a 2006 Z4 3.0i "46000 miles" a few months ago and noticed the left turn would stay on at times even thou the lever was canceling. Now the right side is doing it intermittently too. Also noticed the airbag light on when this happens. The left or right signal may stay on for 3 to 60 second after cancelling but when it does stop flashing, the airbag light goes out. Anyone have any idea what might cause this. Regards, GP
My first guess is the stalk switch is bad. Second guess is that it's a relay or module that controls the indicators and other lights: the LCM, Light Control Module. If it's the LCM I believe that also stores VIN and other information, so if using a used one or a new one some coding has to be done to get it to have the right VIN and mileage in the replacement module.

If you have a buddy with a BMW scanner (generic ODBII codes aren't likely to help) you can review errors and/or run a module check to find the culprit. This is the best diagnostic approach in any case, as you'll have a good idea if/when you need to see an indy shop, or, if DIY'ing, you can know what you need to work on. Some scanners/coders can reprogram or program an LCM I believe, but I have not personally tried/done that.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Phillg328i
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the quick responce.

If you have a buddy with a BMW scanner (generic ODBII codes aren't likely to help) you can review errors and/or run a module check to find the culprit. This is the best diagnostic approach in any case, as you'll have a good idea if/when you need to see an indy shop, or, if DIY'ing, you can know what you need to work on. Some scanners/coders can reprogram or program an LCM I believe, but I have not personally tried/done that.[/QUOTE]

I have known good turn switch I'm going to try first. Might have to drive it for a while to see if that takes care of the issue. Thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
If you have a buddy with a BMW scanner (generic ODBII codes aren't likely to help) you can review errors and/or run a module check to find the culprit. This is the best diagnostic approach in any case, as you'll have a good idea if/when you need to see an indy shop, or, if DIY'ing, you can know what you need to work on. Some scanners/coders can reprogram or program an LCM I believe, but I have not personally tried/done that.
I have known good turn switch I'm going to try first. Might have to drive it for a while to see if that takes care of the issue. Thanks !![/QUOTE]

Rodger that. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:

Please keep us updated. I'm having the same issue (along with others); my turn signals stay on, specially the left one but this usually happens when the airbag light comes on temporarily. I also noticed that when the airbag light comes on, the radio sounds a bit different, more static and buttons on the steering wheel don't function either.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

The airbag light going out on it's own strikes me as very strange. I thought only clearing the ABS code would do that.

One thought I have on this is that you may have some compromised connections (dirty or oxidized) on the Airbag and other connections associated with the steering wheel or your "clock spring" (the part that allows electronic connections to the rotating steering wheel) is having problems.

I (as others) have been able to fix an Airbag code being thrown by removing the steering wheel and cleaning many of the associated connectors with Electronic Contact Spray Cleaner. Search for posts by me and you should find it.

If it is the clock spring, that part is also DIY replaceable and there are videos out there.

One way of testing a little further is to see if this problem occurs when the steering wheel is either being turned or is in different positions.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I had a similar problem on my wifes A4 Audi Cab and a shot of caigs de-oxit spray into the stal karea where it goes into the steering wheel hub fixed it! Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Same problem came up for me a couple weeks ago after leaving the car in ON position overnight and having to jump. I cleared the faults after the jump with my Schwaben reader.
Driving along the airbag warning light comes on and at the same time, if the turn signal light is on, it stays on. If the turn signal light is off it will not turn on. It is unresponsive.
This is very annoying, possibly dangerous as it can happen in the middle of a lane change and I can't tell is other exterior lights are affected as well.
Then within a minute or two, everything returns to normal. Startup is always normal.
I'll check the faults.

There was an occupancy sensor fault in the passenger side safety module. cleared. we'll see

Last edited by Forbes; 07-27-2017 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: new info
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
Same problem came up for me a couple weeks ago after leaving the car in ON position overnight and having to jump. I cleared the faults after the jump with my Schwaben reader.
Driving along the airbag warning light comes on and at the same time, if the turn signal light is on, it stays on. If the turn signal light is off it will not turn on. It is unresponsive.
This is very annoying, possibly dangerous as it can happen in the middle of a lane change and I can't tell is other exterior lights are affected as well.
Then within a minute or two, everything returns to normal. Startup is always normal.
I'll check the faults.

There was an occupancy sensor fault in the passenger side safety module. cleared. we'll see
Turns out whenever I disconnect the battery when SmartTop is active, I get the same set of errors. They can be cleared with a good fault reader. To avoid, I need to remember to inactivate smart top before doing any work on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Phillg328i
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Please keep us updated. I'm having the same issue (along with others); my turn signals stay on, specially the left one but this usually happens when the airbag light comes on temporarily. I also noticed that when the airbag light comes on, the radio sounds a bit different, more static and buttons on the steering wheel don't function either.
Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having. I have a clock spring/turn signal assembly that I was going to try but it hasn't acted up once in the last 600 miles. I will update if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having. I have a clock spring/turn signal assembly that I was going to try but it hasn't acted up once in the last 600 miles. I will update if anything changes.

Mine hadn't acted up either since my last post on this thread. It just acted up again this morning but this time neither left or right signals were working. Sounds good Phill thank you!
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

My 03 just started with the signal lights not canceling . They will work but I have to shut the car off to reset them sometimes. I thought it would have been a sticking relay, ordered some but I can even find it. Also the high beam indicator will stay on too 🙄
I'm going look a little harder when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

European feature that if you put stalk to right or left flasher and turn off ignition… turn indicator lights will stay "lit" on that side.

Does it on my '04 Canadian version Z4
      09-24-2021, 05:56 AM   #14
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

Update

Weird thing that I figured I'd pass on - my license plate lights are led and faulty one out and one glowing.
I replaced them with new leds and my signals work right again.
Appreciate 0