ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Euro Header Swap & looking for a used X-Pipe (Z4M)

Gents, looking for a gently used x-pipe to try out. If nothing pops up shortly, as my exhaust is laying on the garage floor since i'm doing the euro headers, I will see about having one made up.

BTW, I'm about 3/4 the way through the removal. I have started the wiring re-routing. I don't know if anyone is contemplating this swap, but if you're interested in seeing what it's all about, I'm in Vaughan and more then happy to have people drop in........ not that I'm any sort of expert or DIY guru. I just fly by the seat of my pants most of the time.

The other thing right now is I'm on the fence on the Section 1. With the removal of emissions testing now, contemplating no cats at all. Concern is that she may end up being WAAAAY too loud. I've had loud cars before (my e30 M3 was nasty) but now that I'm an old man....... just not sure about the idea anymore. I do have the Section 1 with the relocated o2 bungs and EGT sensor. But i'm sure that could be sold off fairly easily. Thoughts ?!?!??
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
The other thing right now is I'm on the fence on the Section 1. With the removal of emissions testing now, contemplating no cats at all. Concern is that she may end up being WAAAAY too loud. I've had loud cars before (my e30 M3 was nasty) but now that I'm an old man....... just not sure about the idea anymore. I do have the Section 1 with the relocated o2 bungs and EGT sensor. But i'm sure that could be sold off fairly easily. Thoughts ?!?!??
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise but more so about the smell. I'm running catless headers with stock section one. A month ago I had to opportunity to move a large box that didn't let me close my hatch, I only made it about 2km, the back draft was just horrendous. With the hatch closed and windows open I only notice it sitting at the lights but I always wonder what it be like in a roadster.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Interesting. I wonder if that also may have something to do with your tune.

My stock Section 1 will not separate from the X-pipe. Looks like I will have to cut the bolts as have tried chemicals and heat and that sh!t just ain't budging. I was thinking of taking my stock x-pipe to my buddy to have them fabricate up something as everything out of the USA is $600 USD for four flanges and two pieces of pipe. That's just nutz. But first need to find a way to separate. This euro swap has been a bit of a pain in the backside. Nothing has come out easily and I have had the joys of finding a few leaks on the motor. The CVP is an easy fix with the headers out, but I think my VANOs is leaking. So it's another "while I have it all apart.... I may as well take more of it apart". Doesn't look like she;s going to be on the road for some time now.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
The only real pain points are the Section 1 / X-Pipe bolts (as you have found) and rerouting of the O2 sensors. There is a solid video on the forums on how to reroute and "stretch" the stock sensors.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800574

As for the noise, I personally would not go any louder than the catless header and muffler setup. My friend's Z4MC race car has zero cats and he diverted back to the OEM muffler to reduce noise for track sound regulations and reasonable comfort.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think I will end up..... euro header, OEM cats with relocated o2 sensors, stock x-pipe (unless my guy can make me something reasonable) and stock muffler cans. Mind you I have gutted stock muffler cans too....... just not on the car right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
I think I will end up..... euro header, OEM cats with relocated o2 sensors, stock x-pipe (unless my guy can make me something reasonable) and stock muffler cans. Mind you I have gutted stock muffler cans too....... just not on the car right now.
If you want to save yourself some time and aggravation with relocating the sensors you can just put in a set of mini-cats on your post O2 sensors. I've been running these now 2nd year and I only have the CEL come on in 2 circumstances;
  • the car is idling for 20mins +
  • on the track about 10mins in

In either case I just clear the code and all good. Never had is come on just driving around.

Name:  MiniCats.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  380.1 KB
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I've gotten the wiring pulled back pretty far to the drivers side and I think there should be lots of length there to get it to the 2nd cats. If that somehow becomes a pain the butt, I will consider those mini-cats next.

My issue now is I think that my VANO's is leaking some oil at the seal and I have one other leak to deal with at the back of the passenger side of the block. So the exhaust job is on hold until I make sure I have all these other things sorted out. Don't want to pull this thing apart twice
Appreciate 0