ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Dyno Tune at TTFS!

I had my car dyno tuned at TTFS's in house dyno yesterday and wanted to pass on my experience. Unfortunately I never got a baseline dyno run done before my modifications, but it's another data point if anything.

My car was originally remotely tuned by Frank at TTFS for Alpha N to support the Evolve carbon airbox install. Since then I have moved to the east coast and wanted the car retuned for sweet, sweet 93 octane fuel. Frank's shop is fairly local to me now as well.

One thing that I did not get to fully appreciate remotely was how much time and detail goes into one of Frank's tunes. He truly is a master of his craft and knows our MSS70 DME very well (and all its more complex variables compared to the E46).

Their dyno is a load bearing Dynocom, so it's great at simulating real world driving to dial in partial throttle maps, but definitely is stingy for power numbers compared to say a Dyno Jet. Per Frank a stock Z4M typically dynos around 260whp on his dyno. I left with 297whp, which is over a 20whp gain from initial 91 octane tune. Perhaps most importantly the power curve is ultra smooth through the entire rev range, and the engine is incredibly smooth at partial throttle. Frank adjusted tip in slightly as well, with a welcome improvement in throttle response without making it too sensitive.

Long story short it drives like a factory tune. If you have any doubts about going Alpha N, go for it, and if you're in the DC area I can't recommend a dyno tune at TTFS enough. The man is a wealth of knowledge and will let you pick his brain to your heart's content.

Power related modifications:
-TTFS Alpha N tune
-Evolve carbon airbox
-Euro CSL headers
-Rogue Engineering X Pipe
-Remus mufflers

Appreciate 4
      12-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

A very good write up of your experience. I have read Frank is the maestro with his software.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Can't wait to get my carbon air box in so I can have Frank work his magic on mine!
Appreciate 0