ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Question Z4M Ground Control Coilovers

Hi there,

I´m in the market now for some basic suspension improvements for my car as the season of track days is to start soon. I use my car both at road and track, and want to get the best from my next suspension mainly at the track.

The first thing I need is a camber/caster plate kit to let the racing tires work correctly because on standard suspensions and aligments the front tires wore badly in the exterior.

So I was about to order some camber plates from Vorshlag after have read very good reports. I didn´t really want to get cracking/squealing annoying noises when driving on the road. And this kit is one of a few which dosn´t raise the front of the car.

As I was going to order from Vorshlag, I sent them an email this last week asking for a coilover kit for the Z4M with no answer so far. I guess this AST kits are expensive for my budget anyway.

But then yesterday I realized that Ground Control has got a new product at very competitive price which includes the camber kit (around 2000 $).

The questions for you experts are:

What do you think of this kit?
I think they´re not monotube, right?
Do you think 500/600 is a good spring rate selection for track use on the Z4M?

Thanks a lot!

p.s. Out of the subject, I did my first drift day a month ago with the Z4M, had good fun with another members of a Z forum in Spain. Not as a "proper" track day but good fun anyway

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

KW V3 or Clubsport will be at least as good and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

KW V3 use progressive springs, right?

I will have a look for Clubsport instead, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Clubsport retail price is 3575 $. Well over my budget.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

ive driven E46 M3s with GC and TCK. i personally liked the TCK set up better. very compliant on the street. i think TCKs retails a little less than GC and include all the essentials. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
ive driven E46 M3s with GC and TCK. i personally liked the TCK set up better. very compliant on the street. i think TCKs retails a little less than GC and include all the essentials. good luck!
I´ve been thinking of TCK a lot but most of the reviews seems to have comments about the annoying noises when on the street.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

i was going to do coilovers on my car, and from what i had researched the ground control coilovers seemed to be the best option in my mind. If you want your suspension set up for mainly track i wouldn't get the kw v3. If you were going to drive on the street with some track time i would say kwv3.
i think the ground control or the tck set up would be good for you use since they are very comparable products. If i am not mistaken i believe the ground control are cheaper too. take a looks at the h&r coilover, it is rougher than stock on the street though. gl
      03-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOn View Post
KW V3 use progressive springs, right?

I will have a look for Clubsport instead, thank you.
yes they use progressive springs.
      03-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
i was going to do coilovers on my car, and from what i had researched the ground control coilovers seemed to be the best option in my mind. If you want your suspension set up for mainly track i wouldn't get the kw v3. If you were going to drive on the street with some track time i would say kwv3.
i think the ground control or the tck set up would be good for you use since they are very comparable products. If i am not mistaken i believe the ground control are cheaper too. take a looks at the h&r coilover, it is rougher than stock on the street though. gl

This is exactly the position where I am at the moment. On a 2 grands budget and with my requirements I think my best options are TCK S/A and Ground Control. Ground Control is still a well 500 $ when you put the camber plates over the TCK coilover kit.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

OutOn,

Let me know how the Ground Control system works....I have been seriously debating these for quite time now...

My compromise was to go with Dinan Springs for the time being as I couldn't find much info about the Ground Control coilovers.

I have considered TC Kline D/As...but they are fairly pricey with the camber plates.

Keep us posted please.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
OutOn,

Let me know how the Ground Control system works....I have been seriously debating these for quite time now...

My compromise was to go with Dinan Springs for the time being as I couldn't find much info about the Ground Control coilovers.

I have considered TC Kline D/As...but they are fairly pricey with the camber plates.

Keep us posted please.
I think I´m going to give GC a go. Of course I will let you know the system works.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

What about my third question?

Are 500/600 (front/rear) good spring rates for track days?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOn View Post
What about my third question?

Are 500/600 (front/rear) good spring rates for track days?
Jay´s (Ground Control) recommendation for track days for the Z4M is 450/550.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Where is the link to even buy these? I fumbled around the ground control website and could not find this setup...
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Where is the link to even buy these? I fumbled around the ground control website and could not find this setup...
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php?II=774

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Burt,

I saw on another post you are thinking about ditching your KWV3s....If you get the ground control please do a nice write up on your experience....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

I had a little problem with my installer and my coilovers. They were bottoming out on big bumps but learned it was the install an not the coilovers. My drive home was like I was in a different car. Before, they were very soft over small bumps and then super harsh. The tuning shop adjusted all my settings today (about 75% Full Firm) on damping and then complimentary settings on rebound and etc... I have to say I am willing to give these another shot based on my 30 mile drive home. If I continue to keep the smile on my face, I wont bother. I plan to test 300 miles or so just to be sure. If I do decide to change, the GC or the TCK would be a tough choice.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #18
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

News.

I´m in a very complicate situation now. I was 99% convinced to order the GC kit because the price once in Europe was fairly good (2000 $).

But then, I received an offer from AST in Holland to use my standard bits to develop their 4100/4200/4300 coilover kits for the Z4M. The final price for me would be incredibly cheap, at the expense of having my car non-usable for 10 days. I´d still have to order Vorshlag camber plates from USA. The final price with everything included would still be some 500 $ cheaper than the GC option. I´m confused now. AST 4100 are in another league I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

go for it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
go for it!
GC or AST?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

OutOn,

Any word on progess with coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
OutOn,

Any word on progess with coilovers?

Finishing conversations with AST. I´m mostly convinced mainly because the price is so much cheaper than the GC kit because they´re using my OEM bits to develop a kit for the Z4M.

I´m still deciding what spring rates to order them with. 500/600 ?
Appreciate 0