ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Stressing Metallic Sound When Turning

So...came back from the 'Ring a few weeks ago and the next morning on my way to work that when I turned the wheel *at all* to the right there was a very audible (inside AND out) ... sound, that sounds like i don't know how to describe it other than stressed metal. Like if you wind a spring too tight. WHICH HAS ME WORRIED AS SHIT. THe thing is...I don't know if I knocked something loose or tightened too tight/not tight enough when I pulled the pin and installed the Turner shim washers.

- I had the car on a lift, so there was no 'preload' on the strut at all when I tightened the 3 strut tower bolts.
- I torqued those to 35nm
- installed the Turner bolts and washers (1 inside/2 outside, each strut)
- I didn't have the torque values for these bolts, so I tightened them til they weren't easy to tighten anymore, then a 1/4 turn more is the best way i can describe it.

Anyone have proper torque values for these? (both the 3 tower bolts and the 2 camber bolts, as well as the "fit bolt" as it's referred to on realoem) Did I do something out of order and cause undue stress somewhere? I'll see I can get a short video of what I'm talking about. I'll be getting under the car again this weekend to hopefully find where/what is getting stressed and relieve it! Any other tips and tricks are always appreciated.

in case you didn't know what bolts i was talking about
      04-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

IIRC, the bottom bolts are in the 100+ ft-lbs range for torque.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Thanks!

The more I think about it, I think the order of what I did I think is causing the the tower bolts to creak. I pulled the pin/pushed the strut, torqued then did the camber shims. Seems like that might be causing a bit of extra stress up top. We'll see!