ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #23
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Polishes. Soaps. Towels. Mitts. Brushes. Ceramics. Tire dressing. Wheel cleaners. Etc etc.

Name some of your favorites!
polish :most megs brown bottles

soap: meguiars gold class. same formula from the last 20 years.

I have a big fucking red drying towel from detailerdomain. so good I bought like 4 more for my cars like crackhead. drys my trucks with one pass without wringing. magic.

microfiber wash mitt.

no to brushes ;-)

no tire dressing

sonax full effect wheel cleaner is expensive but still the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #24
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Polishes. Soaps. Towels. Mitts. Brushes. Ceramics. Tire dressing. Wheel cleaners. Etc etc.

Name some of your favorites!
polish :most megs brown bottles

soap: meguiars gold class. same formula from the last 20 years.

interior: nanolex interior cleaner w/odex blend.

I have a big fucking red drying towel from details domain. so good I bought like 4 more for my cars like crackhead. drys my trucks with one pass without wringing. magic.

microfiber wash mitt.

no to brushes ;-)

no tire dressing

sonax full effect wheel cleaner is expensive but still the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:42 AM   #25
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've really enjoyed using Griots Rinseless wash concentrate for quick maintenance washes and winter wipe downs to refresh my wax coat. Makes a good drying aid and clay lube. Dilute 250 to 1 for the rinseless wash, then 15 to 1 in a spray bottle for quick wipe downs.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 04:24 AM   #26
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Do you normally use a drying aid? I figured a good drying towel would eliminate the need. And have a favorite? I see P&S bead maker is a popular choice and CarPro’s elixir looks promising.

I plan on using a Blo Car Dryer S to dry out the nooks and crannies and handle the rest with either the gauntlet or liquid8r. So if I’m understanding correct the point of a drying aid is to provide lubrication during drying as well as aid some gloss (even protection).
Yup, if you're using rinseless and you do it sloppy wet like do then there's always plenty of solution already on there so a towel is fine ...

But if you were gonna provide some protection then you can just combine the two.

If you're using de-ionized water for your rinseless solution then you don't need to worry about it drying on your car while you're washing so with that, I use kind of a modified process when I'm not doing a pre-wash:
(0.) I spray down the whole car with de-ionized rinseless solution using a hydroshot

(1.) Then from a bucket with rinseless solution and mitts/pads, 1 large pad side does the roof, 2nd side does the hood

(2.) Then I use the same pad edges to do the inside crimp of the wheel wells

(3.) Then I use the same pad top/bottom to do the underside of the car

(4.) New mitt, 1st side does the pass side, top down to the waist and repeat on side 2 for the drivers side

(5.) Tailgate gets 2 sides of a mitt

(6.) waist down of each panel gets a mitt side all the way around

(7.) 1 mitt side does the front end, 2nd side does the windshield

(8.) then I use 1 mitt to go over the entire sides a 2nd time to ensure I've got everything and there's no dirt missed or left behind in creases, etc

(9.) and a mitt to do the tailgate and hood & front end again, and the door jambs

(10.) Then I use a towel to dry everything, including the door jambs, gas door, etc.
I have an ego blower but I usually don't need it

Bead Maker is ok, but it's a microfiber wrecker unless you wash with Rags-to-Riches, which I do, but I prefer TW Ice Spray Wax as it's got carnauba.

This was that process just a few days ago, car has no ppf or ceramic, just TW seal-n-shine and some ice spray wax every few washes but not that time (wheels have DLux + Gliss tho)

here's what she looked like new right off the truck ( I did my own dealer prep )

sunny vs cloudy, but I think she looks pretty damn similar, and I like the carnauba glow a bit more

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-12-2023 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
Game7375.50
DubaiRich123.00
LuckyBrand1246.50
      03-12-2023, 01:24 PM   #27
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
GYEON Leather Cleaner Mild or Strong work well.
is it safe for vernasca leather? And have you tried their leather coat?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #28
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
is it safe for vernasca leather? And have you tried their leather coat?
They claim it is safe for all leather types. Like any other product you'll want to test a small inconspicuous area before treating all surfaces. I have tried Q2 Leathershield and it's a fantastic product. It's a little challenging to apply it evenly but it's very forgiving. If you experience high spots, simply add more product to level the coating. I've applied it to leather on three vehicles, so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #29
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Nice bundle deal below. The Gloss-it products add a really glossy / reflective finish!

https://glossit.com/products/vinwiki...elatedProducts
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 02:56 PM   #30
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They claim it is safe for all leather types. Like any other product you'll want to test a small inconspicuous area before treating all surfaces. I have tried Q2 Leathershield and it's a fantastic product. It's a little challenging to apply it evenly but it's very forgiving. If you experience high spots, simply add more product to level the coating. I've applied it to leather on three vehicles, so far so good.
have you used their interior detailer? Idk if I stick with gyeon or look into something else like Carpros InnerQD
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:00 PM   #31
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
have you used their interior detailer? Idk if I stick with gyeon or look into something else like Carpros InnerQD
I'm generally pleased with the GYEON products I've used and I've used a good portion of their lineup; however, I have not used the interior detailer. I rarely use an interior detailer because my interior never gets that dirty. It's usually dusty more than anything and for that I just use a damp (very lightly) microfiber cloth to wipe down the interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #32
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
I'm generally pleased with the GYEON products I've used and I've used a good portion of their lineup; however, I have not used the interior detailer. I rarely use an interior detailer because my interior never gets that dirty. It's usually dusty more than anything and for that I just use a damp (very lightly) microfiber cloth to wipe down the interior.
Gyeon interior detailer is my go to detailer for all the interior leather, I use Gyeon vinyl cleaner for all the hard interior plastics. Koch Chemie Gummifix is also a great product for the hard interior plastics.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #33
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
Gyeon interior detailer is my go to detailer for all the interior leather, I use Gyeon vinyl cleaner for all the hard interior plastics. Koch Chemie Gummifix is also a great product for the hard interior plastics.
Yeah I've been told the interior detailer isn't that great on plastic and it almost looks dry after. I guess I might look into the vinyl cleaner
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 07:35 PM   #34
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
Nice bundle deal below. The Gloss-it products add a really glossy / reflective finish!

https://glossit.com/products/vinwiki...elatedProducts
I ordered this and some other stuff. I'll give them a shot. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Personally I use a lot of chemical guys stuff. I think they have way too much crap but they have a store locally so I like going there. The one thing that I do love from them is their leather scent spray. It's the ONLY scent spray I like. I'll typically dilute it and spray on carpets in back seat. I'll also spray a paper towel down and leave it under the seat. It's pretty strong that's why I dilute it. I've been using the same bottle for years. I bought it in a pack with their new car scent also, but I don't care for that one.

As for drying I LOVE my master blaster. Not only do I avoid excessive rubbing, but I actually find it more enjoyable to blow dry it. Especially if it has a nice ceramic coating and that water comes right off... very satisfying. I'll typically still go over it after with some ceramic detailer and microfiber.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 12:02 PM   #36
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After only doing exteriors for awhile, I've been wanting to get into interiors aswell. Can you help me pick some chemicals out. I've been looking into P&S Xpress and Carpro Inside & InnerQD. I just haven't been able to find out if they are safe on all surfaces. And what do you guys use as protection. My car personally has vernasca leather but I also detail a couple other BMWs and a porsche or two
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:11 PM   #37
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Adams Graphene soap
Adams Wheel Cleaner
Car Pro micro fibre mitts
Adams Graphene spray wax
Glassparency boost for shine
Eco power blower to dry car
Adams microfiber towel
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      03-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #38
shawndean22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 (on order)

GSF Foam Soap
OG Decon Soap
PS Brake Buster
PS Rinseless
PS Interior Cleaner
Colourlock Leather Cleaner / sealant
OG Drying Aid
Auto Fanatic Tire Shine
Auto Fanatic Money Maker for Gloss black Side Rocker/Rear Diffuser
Griots Garage Ceramic 3 in 1.
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      03-21-2023, 12:41 AM   #39
fortysecond
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 230i, Thundernight Metallic

Glass Cleaner: Sprayway Glass Cleaner Aerosol, 19 Oz
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sprayway-...1?athbdg=L1102

Glass cleaning towels: Scott Shop Towels, 6 Rolls, 55 Sheets Per Roll
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scott-Sho...2?athbdg=L1102

Mitts: Chenille Premium Scratch-Free Microfiber Wash Mitt Green
https://a.co/d/2hzY98q

After-wash therapy: Griots 3-in-1 ceramic spray
https://a.co/d/aA6zznP
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      03-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #40
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Don't think it has been mentioned at all, but for interior leather cleaning and conditioning, I really love the products from Zainos, Z9 and Z10.

I'm not really a big believer in needing special conditioners for modern leather seats. I mainly like these two because of the amazing leather smell.

Only downside is a little pricey for the size bottles you get.
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      03-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #41
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Some new (at least, new to me) products I've been using:

Griot's G9 polisher - what a unit! My cheap harborfreight style 750w d/a was doing ok, but it was really loud and vibrated a lot. The griot's is much quieter and smoother, with power to spare. Have only done some light polishing with it, no cutting yet, but it's a much more enjoyable experience. Using 5" vented backing plate with 5.5" LC pads.

Wolfgang sio2 rinseless concentrate - wow I love this stuff. Super glossy, super slick, great beading, dries quickly with no streaks, water spots aren't left behind once dry (and I have hard water). I've made 2 spray botttles of this stuff, a very light concentration for waterless wash and clay lube, then a slightly thicker concentration for a quick detailer I use as a drying aid after I blow dry the car after wash.

Wolfgang Uber sio2 ceramic spray coating - this is the 1 year rated spray version of their Uber ceramic coating. I've only tested it so far for fun - I plan to use it on my E90 once I decon and polish when the weather looks to be back to normal for us in Socal. Very easy to apply, spread out, level/buff to high shine. I'm going to experiement with applying it directly to paint versus onto MF applicator to pread, then buff with low nap towel.

Rag Company edgeless pearl - this is a 70/30 320GSM short nap towel. I've been using fluffier towels in the 400gsm range, which really like for washing the car (rinseless too), but they just leave too much lint behind. I can still use them to remove compound/polish, but not my IPA wipe or final buffing of wax/sealant or leveling coating. So now I have these short nap towels that don't leave anything behind that I use for last steps. These are the cheaper Chinese made ones versus S. Korean. I may pony up for a pack of the Korean versions to see the difference, but these have been great so far. Link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NRL6KBD...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Game7375.50