ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

Hazards begin flashing over 20mph

This is an issue that came up last fall and has continued this spring in my 2003 3.0i.

When I take the car out for a drive, it occasionally begins turning on the hazard flashers when I drive over 20mph. If I slow down under 20mph, they quit flashing. If I pull over and completely turn the car off/on a couple of times it'll stop and there's no issue. I don't get any soft top warning lights indicating that it isn't latched or completely down/up so I don't think that's the issue.

I've seen reference to a couple of relays that may go bad and cause this in other BMW models, namely a crash alarm relay, but haven't seen that referenced on an e85 platform. And that didn't seem speed related, where as this definitely is.

Has anyone experienced this problem on the Z4?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

If I remember correctly there is an option to lock your doors at a certain speed. It's quite possible GM5 module is glitching and somehow cross wires with this feature.

If you have software that allows you to access your comfort settings… I would see if it's activated and switch it off if it is…. then see if that fixes the issue.

Just a suggestion to drill down on your issue ….
      05-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

Thanks, I'll add that one to my list of things to look at.
Unfortunately as this car ages, the gremlins continue showing their face in the little things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
If I remember correctly there is an option to lock your doors at a certain speed. It's quite possible GM5 module is glitching and somehow cross wires with this feature.

If you have software that allows you to access your comfort settings… I would see if it's activated and switch it off if it is…. then see if that fixes the issue.

Just a suggestion to drill down on your issue ….
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Download INSTAD and purchase a cable. See what errors are showing up. And then drill down on the errors to see what is causing and how to correct. Software is avail online as well as a cable. Cable is either z4 specific or has ability to be switched to before 03/07 or to after 03/07… or thereabouts….as I'm going off memory for the month in 07.
      11-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
BigFix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
This is an issue that came up last fall and has continued this spring in my 2003 3.0i.

When I take the car out for a drive, it occasionally begins turning on the hazard flashers when I drive over 20mph. If I slow down under 20mph, they quit flashing. If I pull over and completely turn the car off/on a couple of times it'll stop and there's no issue. I don't get any soft top warning lights indicating that it isn't latched or completely down/up so I don't think that's the issue.

I've seen reference to a couple of relays that may go bad and cause this in other BMW models, namely a crash alarm relay, but haven't seen that referenced on an e85 platform. And that didn't seem speed related, where as this definitely is.

Has anyone experienced this problem on the Z4?
Nadaclue, did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have exactly the same symptoms. I'm only getting the issue when my hardtop is on the car. I've gone as far as taking the fixing posts off the hardtop and connected them (without the actual hardtop) and can recreate the issue.

My warning lights flash in slow time when I go over 20mph and I get a "slow" warning flash on the satnav screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFix View Post
Nadaclue, did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have exactly the same symptoms. I'm only getting the issue when my hardtop is on the car. I've gone as far as taking the fixing posts off the hardtop and connected them (without the actual hardtop) and can recreate the issue.

My warning lights flash in slow time when I go over 20mph and I get a "slow" warning flash on the satnav screen.
Your either using another user name & posting this problem to another z4 forum or there's another poster on a different z4 forum who installed his hardtop and now the flashers are going off above 20. https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132583
Appreciate 0