ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

Wet Floorboard?

Hi All,
I have an 07 M Coupe. Was cleaning the interior today and found the driver side floorboard to be soaked. No odor, so I don't think it's been that way long and it appears to be water. I haven't washed the car for weeks, but we did get heavy rain 2 days ago (car lives outside). Car hasn't been driven since.

I checked the driver window seal, which looks fine. No evidence of leaking. The footwell near the pedals is dry, as is the area under the seat...only the part of the floorboard in between is wet.

Any ideas what else I should check to find the source?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

In the E39s (which I know, vs the E85/86 which I don't yet), the door vapor barriers go bad and let water in that way. Check under the bottom of the door and the seam where the door card meets the door itself and see if there's any moisture sloshing around in there. You might also check the carpet where it curves up toward the door. If it's wet there, that points to a door-based issue.

But that's the E39. Worth a shot, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
In the E39s (which I know, vs the E85/86 which I don't yet), the door vapor barriers go bad and let water in that way. Check under the bottom of the door and the seam where the door card meets the door itself and see if there's any moisture sloshing around in there. You might also check the carpet where it curves up toward the door. If it's wet there, that points to a door-based issue.

But that's the E39. Worth a shot, though.
Thanks for the info. There doesn't seem to be as much wetness in the area curving toward the door. Although the wetness is drying out today, so maybe I did just leave the door partially open last week during the rain. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I second BoonDock's opinion. Happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

If the carpet is still wet can you get a fan or little space heater in there to dry it out? Your carpet is going to turn nasty from being wet.

Wish I could help you with finding the leak. You sure it's not the heater core? Take it for a drive with the heater on full to see if the water gets worse or you can catch the leak. Either way you want to get the water dried out ASAP. Shop vac and/or air gun works well too.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

If it happened after a rain, start with environmental seals. Check the dash, too, but I'm leaning towards the door seals. There's a DIY for removing the door cards somewhere. You can do that and find out for sure. Shouldn't take more than half an hour. And if it's bad, use a little sealant and bam. Fingers in.... er, I mean, it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
big-server
Registered
Japan
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Cowl flooding

Generally speaking, sometimes the cowl overflows with water when you had too much rain.Then overflowed water come in through a ventilation hole.

So if your floor doesn't get wet always, don't mind that.
      03-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm happy to report that I fully dried the carpet on Sunday. We had hard rain again on Tuesday and no moisture entered the cabin. I also ran the heater full blast with no issue. It seems likely this was a case of user error

Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0