ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Hullbilly
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hello & Alarm issue

Hello All!

New BMW Z4 owner here, recently purchased a 2003 3.0i Z4 for my wife. Here it is parked up next to my truck:

This is our 5th BMW, as previously living in the UK I've had multiple 1 and 3 Series over the last 10 years.

The car is in great condition apart from an issue with the central locking system. The drivers side door has an issue with the locking mechanism, whereby it only unlocks from the central locking system occasionally. When it doesnt unlock you have to use the key in the door and hold it in the 'unlock' position whilst pulling the handle at the same time to open it.

I read some of the posts in the electrical section and I don't believe these characteristics are similar to what others have suffered.

On top of this the alarm has been going off regularly which has caused the battery to go flat.

I've done some research and I'm hoping it requires a new drivers door locking mechanism which could be causing the false alarm activations and stopping the door from unlocking.

Any advice would be greatly received!

Last edited by Hullbilly; 09-07-2019 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Fix Picture
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

It could be there's an intermittent connection between central locking and the door mechanism that is the culprit.

The alarm also has a switch under the hood near the firewall, it's possible that could be loose or otherwise not making consistent contact. That's a known issue, and, easy to check for.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It could be there's an intermittent connection between central locking and the door mechanism that is the culprit.

The alarm also has a switch under the hood near the firewall, it's possible that could be loose or otherwise not making consistent contact. That's a known issue, and, easy to check for.
I used to have to replace the hood switch every few years
      09-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Hullbilly
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Thanks Guys,

I think it could be down to the car sitting for a while. Does the alarm drain the battery system? I was thinking that if this is the case then once the battery voltage dropped it triggered the alarm as it was over a week of sitting before it started going off.
Appreciate 0