ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Hardtop - Quick Question

My Z4 MR has a weird history (Japanese LHD spec) and I'm not too sure whether it shares the US or EU components

I'm planning on installing a hardtop for the upcoming winter and am trying to figure out whether the car comes with a prep kit. I know European variants all come pre-configured but no clue about Japan.

I've watched this video and compared with my car.

While the design is the same, my car bit is all in plastic while the one in the video is made of metal.

Video Car

My Car

I've read this DIY but the guy never mentions opening the rubber cover like in the video.

What am I missing? Z4M is a '08 variant, was the designed updated or is the plastic a dud?

If it's obvious, I apologize for being dumb, just a bit confused
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
the piece to your left that has the 2 metal "C"s facing each other is the hard top prep kit. the exposed piece to your right should have a rubber top covering it and would only be removed when you installed the prep kit. but once the prep kit is installed, you would just throw the rubber cover back on. obviously if u have the hard top on, it won't matter since it'll be covered either way. but if u have the hard top off, then you would want that covered (if you had the soft top down).

btw i coincidentally posted about the hard top install but be sure to check your trunk to see if you have the rubber trunk stoppers. these pieces prevent the trunk from making contact with the rear glass.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=25
      09-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
the piece to your left that has the 2 metal "C"s facing each other is the hard top prep kit. the exposed piece to your right should have a rubber top covering it and would only be removed when you installed the prep kit. but once the prep kit is installed, you would just throw the rubber cover back on. obviously if u have the hard top on, it won't matter since it'll be covered either way. but if u have the hard top off, then you would want that covered (if you had the soft top down).

btw i coincidentally posted about the hard top install but be sure to check your trunk to see if you have the rubber trunk stoppers. these pieces prevent the trunk from making contact with the rear glass.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=25
I removed the rubber cap, so it's still there.

Great call on the rubber trunk stoppers. Really slipped my mind and probably would have installed the hard top without them.

So just to be clear, I have the prep kit and just need to fabricate two rubber caps (checked, not installed) and after that I'm good to go?

I see the left and right supports of the prep kit involve cables, I'm assuming these are already equipped in my case. What's the electrical side for though? A bypass to block the soft top motor?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I removed the rubber cap, so it's still there.

Great call on the rubber trunk stoppers. Really slipped my mind and probably would have installed the hard top without them.

So just to be clear, I have the prep kit and just need to fabricate two rubber caps (checked, not installed) and after that I'm good to go?

I see the left and right supports of the prep kit involve cables, I'm assuming these are already equipped in my case. What's the electrical side for though? A bypass to block the soft top motor?
Correct you already have the prep kit pre-installed so just make sure you get the trunk stoppers (don't need them day 1, just be cognizant of when you open the trunk). WRT to hardtop, make sure it comes with the allen key tool, which you'll need to lock/unlock the hard top along with the 3 interior trim pieces (left, right, and center top) that covers the locks. The side pieces are upholstered and the center piece is a plastic cap.
      09-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:

It's for you rear defroster on the hardtop glass.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Wasn't aware the hardtop even had a rear defroster. Good to know!

On a side note, side driver/passenger side covers don't seem to be included.
Are the side covers you make a replacement for this or for something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Wasn't aware the hardtop even had a rear defroster. Good to know!

On a side note, side driver/passenger side covers don't seem to be included.
Are the side covers you make a replacement for this or for something else?
Hardtop interior side cover? That covers the locking posts? If that's the one, then yes. They are in the pipeline

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Dav3
Major
Rep

Pulled the trigger and installed it

I'm really happy about the new exterior look and the improved aerodynamics

A lot of issues with it though...

- In-cabin noise has worsened tenfold. It sounds like there's an air leak on the driver side but wasn't able to detect any wind
- The passenger side window only closes through progressive button pushing. If you close it on auto it goes up 90% then goes down again
- The owner washed it with detergent that smells really bad or the owner tried to wash away another foul smell. It somewhat smells like public bathroom chemicals mixed with pee

image hosting

Last edited by Dav3; 09-11-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pulled the trigger and installed it

I'm really happy about the new exterior look and the improved aerodynamics

A lot of issues with it though...

- In-cabin noise has worsened tenfold. It sounds like there's an air leak on the driver side but wasn't able to detect any wind
- The passenger side window only closes through progressive button pushing. If you close it on auto it goes up 90% then goes down again
- The owner washed it with detergent that smells really bad or the owner tried to wash away another foul smell. It somewhat smells like public bathroom chemicals mixed with pee

image hosting
Stupid suggestion but make sure the front center is fully locked. First time I installed mine, I thought the front center was fully secure but it still needed another 1/4 turn. The road noise was horrible, anything above 40 mph and it felt like I was driving through a tornado lol. After I locked down the center all the way, the noise went away.

If you still have a lot of noise coming in, you can adjust how it sits by adjusting the nuts on the side using a thin wrench (or crowfoot wrenches). That will adjust the height and in turn affect how much it moves forward.

Also as these cars age, molding and weather stripping tend to shrink so the weather stripping on your top may not be making a seal with your A pillar. Re windows, do a quick search on window reset procedure.

On public bathroom urine smell, sorry man can’t help u there lol. Try Febreeze on headliner??
      09-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

What he said..

I put some regular door frame foam strip from home depot on the driver side hard top area. On the hartop metal itself near the A piller. The wind noise is now gone for the last few years.

The headliner is easily taken off and isn't much material other than the headliner itslef. I bet you can take it off, do some thorough cleaning. Let dry and reinstall.

HTHs,

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
Dav3
Major
Rep

3002 tii

I'll definitely try install again slowly. Seller helped me first time around but didn't use OEM allan key. The central bolt also is a bit threaded so maybe it wasn't fully turned after all!

When you mention 'adjusting the nuts' do you mean the protruding metal inserts on both sides of the hardtop that slip into the mounting holes next to the car pillars?

Weather stripping looks still intact. Smell is still horrible and even after airing it out it's still headache inducing.

ZeD4Mr

Speaking of the headliner. I did end up taking it off. Apparently it's just a plastic shell with some very thin cloth glued to it. I'm going to get it cleaned and upholstered with Alcantara in the next few days. Will need to buy new plastic rivets though as half of the original ones threaded instantly. 16 year old hardtop, not really surprised. At least the exterior is in pretty good shape!

Appreciate 1
deemo3191743.50
      09-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3002 tii

I'll definitely try install again slowly. Seller helped me first time around but didn't use OEM allan key. The central bolt also is a bit threaded so maybe it wasn't fully turned after all!

When you mention 'adjusting the nuts' do you mean the protruding metal inserts on both sides of the hardtop that slip into the mounting holes next to the car pillars?

Weather stripping looks still intact. Smell is still horrible and even after airing it out it's still headache inducing.
See diagram below
Attached Images