ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #23
Hush Paranoia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

I have a 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe and love it. But I do want more power...even if I drive 4k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

resurrecting this thread for any recent thoughts and advice
I recently drove a z4mc and loved it, but still left wondering if an SI would fit me better
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #25
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I recently drove a z4mc and loved it, but still left wondering if an SI would fit me better
Only you would know the answer to this question
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Priorities....

Is a high-strung highly caffeinated experience, and requirement to be focused solely on driving important? That's the Z4M.

I haven't driven a 3.0 SI, but I've owned a lot of cars. Maybe as many as you lol. 06 Cayman, 997.2 Carrera S, 991.1 GT3. All the 3 series /M cars except the E30.

The Z4M demands more from me than any I've owned. And only rewards for driving that's well executed. You really have to be on your a game to dance well with the car. That's what I like, it's a challenge, I don't get bored. It also, as others have pointed out, wants to go go go, and really doesn't seem happy puttering around. It lets you know that too, just as it lets you know when you're being ham-fisted or not smooth with weight transfer and inputs. It's exuberant when I get things right.

Is a slightly more relaxed, smoother experience something you want? From everything I'm seeing in this thread, and other stuff I've read, the 3.0 sounds like a very enjoyable, capable, satisfy, highly old-school sports car experience. But a bit more of a relaxed experience than the Z4M. A smoother experience, a car that doesn't scream "go go go go go" all the time and make quite as many demands on you.

The Cayman, and most modern Porsche's, are very refined and precise no drama cars IMO. They don't noticeably interfere, but they're always helping, making things smoother, perhaps a bit easier, always behind the scenes. I never felt my P cars or /M cars demanding as much from me as a driver as the Z to dance well with. Now, that's neither good nor bad, it just is. If you like the Porsche experience then maybe the 3.0 (which I'm pretty certain has a bit more drama than the Cayman, but not as much as the /M) is your thing. If you want things more raw, more demanding, the /M may suit those needs better.

All purely opinion and YMMD
Appreciate 3
baege1328.00
wdb4718.00
yousefnjr6157.50
      09-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #27
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

MMMMM all the way for a weekend car. Ive been leaving mine up north at summer cottage for weekly blasts and it always feels special.. Its not for the average JOE and thats why I love it. Yes, commitment to warm her up and take care in shifting but clutch is perfect and engine screams. If you have a daily driver then theres no question go with an M and coupe if possible!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I have no doubt that the enthusiasm for the M is well deserved. But the SI is no slouch either. But don’t take my word for it when there is this professional reviewers opinion:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2007.../53868/?page=1

And re the comments about the steering, that is addressed by replacing the run flat tires with conventional ones. Considering you can likely find an SI for a lot less than an M, the car is certainly an example of getting a whole lot of car for your hard earned dollar.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #29
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I have no doubt that the enthusiasm for the M is well deserved. But the SI is no slouch either. But don’t take my word for it when there is this professional reviewers opinion:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2007.../53868/?page=1
The pictures in that article reminded me of one of the things I really liked about my si; the hood line. It's sublime.

Quote:
And re the comments about the steering, that is addressed by replacing the run flat tires with conventional ones.
Eh, not really. Tire for tire, the M car's hydraulic rack is a cut or two above the electric. I personally didn't mind the electric rack but then I tend to look for feedback from my butt more than my hands. At the end of the day it's probably a personal preference.

Quote:
Considering you can likely find an SI for a lot less than an M, the car is certainly an example of getting a whole lot of car for your hard earned dollar.
Totally agree. The Z4 3.0si has more HP than the previous Z3M (excluding those few S54 cars), an actual fully engineered chassis (versus the parts bin Z3), and admirable chassis rigidity even in roadster form (the coupes, well, fuggedabodit). It's a heck of a car. I suspect it will gain appreciation about when the Porsche 912 did however, so buy one now and enjoy the savings. Assuming you can find one with a manual gearbox!

Last edited by wdb; 09-04-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6157.50
      09-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
The pictures in that article reminded me of one of the things I really liked about my si; the hood line. It's sublime.

Eh, not really. Tire for tire, the M car's hydraulic rack is a cut or two above the electric. I personally didn't mind the electric rack but then I tend to look for feedback from my butt more than my hands. At the end of the day it's probably a personal preference.

Totally agree. The Z4 3.0si has more HP than the previous Z3M (excluding those few S54 cars), an actual fully engineered chassis (versus the parts bin Z3), and admirable chassis rigidity even in roadster form (the coupes, well, fuggedabodit). It's a heck of a car. I suspect it will gain appreciation about when the Porsche 912 did however, so buy one now and enjoy the savings. Assuming you can find one with a manual gearbox!
Hey WDB - good comments - thanks!

I just want to clarify my comment on the steering of the Z4 3.0 SI. I agree that the hydraulic steering of the Z4M is a totally better set up than the SI. I just meant to point out that the reviewer was driving a new SI with factory run flat tires. I think its fair to say that the general consensus of what I have seen reported on this forum is that the SI steering issues the reviewer noted can be improved with a set of good conventional tires. As I recall, most folks who did that were either moderately to very pleased with the result. However, even with that, the Z4M's hydraulic steering is the superior system and one of the deservedly praised aspects of that car.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #31
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I used to have a 3.0 sport and thought it was a better car to drive on tight and bumpy roads, like less than 30-40 mph. It felt more nimble. I think the M needs more space to be fully enjoyed in that way.

Other than that, I think I prefer the M in every sense. Even just parked, the M can be geeked over and admired. Never had that feeling with the 3.0. Never tracked the 3.0 like I do the M, but I suspect it wouldn’t be as fun nor as capable.
      09-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #32
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Even just parked, the M can be geeked over and admired. Never had that feeling with the 3.0.
My wife and I parked our 3.0SI downtown one fine evening last week, before heading to a restaurant for a nice meal. While parking it and putting the top up, a group of young fellows in their 20's who happened to be walking by at the time were totally geeking out and admiring my 3.0SI.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 3
wdb4718.00
3798j11368.50
Finnegan701.00
      09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #33
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I prefer the SI because I own one. Occasionally I wish I had more power but I spend most of my time in Los Angeles traffic anyway.

Ok all jokes aside, I think the M is pretty much the "endgame" car for the E85/E86. It's been exhausted over and over again that the non-M and M are different driving experiences, not as simple as a power difference. But if you want the prestige of "the best" on paper the M is the way to go. It's all subjective really.

I'm really happy with my SI and wouldn't trade it for anything. In fact, I've been wanting a new car recently but I refuse to get rid of the Z.
      09-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #34
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

My .02 - If purchasing JUST as a "weekend car", I think the way to go would be with the M instead of the Si. You'd be driving just for the sake of driving (seeking out driving roads, light traffic, etc.) and probably not racking up a huge amount of miles on a yearly basis since the car would be used pretty much as a 'toy'.

When I was looking at Z4coupes - I was looking for something that I would daily, and put a bunch of miles on. Most of it in typical Austin rush hour traffic. The 'fun' time with the car would occasional at best. For those reasons, I started looking for a low mileage Si coupe with a manual - and haven't regretted my decision one second (even after about 65k miles added to the car in the 3.5 years since purchase).

Neither car is 'better' - it all depends on what the Owner intends to use it for.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00