ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Connector

I have searched a few places for connectors, and even called the stealership. Here is what I am looking for

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-roa/CT7piomF

Here is what I could find on realoem.com
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1249
It looks like # 7 on real oem, but they do not have any info.
I have tried in the past to talk with the parts dept at my local BMW dealer, but the guy was an *sshole. I may try another dealer a bit further away, and just be nice and explain my disdain for my local one. Anyway, in the meantime, does anyone have other places for connectors?
And this connector is for the camshaft position sensor on exhaust side. It is throwing a misfire for all cylinders except for #1. I have done a leak check, compression check...new plugs, oil change... this is the only problem I see as the connector is halfway there and is loose. I think the jiggling when the car is moving is causing it read as a misfire, and not the actual sensor itself. Though I should just replace it anyway since I will be in that area...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm guessing it's under 20 bucks for that piece. If I were you I'd order the part you're researched and see if you're right. I'm not sure there's that many other options that will give absolute clarity about this. For 20 bucks I'd risk it. > 200 that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

the problem is I can not find that part anywhere. I haven't tried the dealer for this part yet, but last time I tried to order a connector, and had the part number, he told me that I had to order ALL 8 wire caps, than a 3 piece end cap, all together over $100.00. I said ok, then he started to tell me that there is a few different configurations....... that's where i stopped him and said good bye. I knew parts would be a bit more than other vehicles when I bought the car, but to be nickle and dimed on everything by the dealer is not gonna happen. Hell, I have bought a few things from the dealer for my Ram, and only paid an outrageous price 1 time for bearing hub bolts. And I know why, they are a weird size and no auto parts store carries them on hand and I needed them that day.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Buy any 3 wire connector... with male/female parts and wires... trailer connectors come to mind....and they are inexpensive.

Cut/splice into existing wiring.

Simple but effective.
      07-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

Just got off the phone with someone at https://www.ottosbmw.com/parts/ and he was extremely helpful. Looks like I will be going to them for some parts for now on. The guys at https://www.unionparkbmw.com/parts/index.htmare about 20 min closer, but the parts guy was ignorant, so I will travel the extra 20 minutes for a better experience.
Appreciate 0