ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #45
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Got the car back from the dealer today. All of the right side engine mount bolts were loose and one was cracked.

They replaced all of the right side bolts (2 x 07119905533 @ 0.20 EUR and 2 x 07119905724 @ 0.47 EUR).

They also replaced the rubber engine mount (11812283798 @ 43.20 EUR) and bracket (22111094694 @ 17.80 EUR) on the right side.

With labor the grand total for repairs was 261.99 EUR. They took the service bulletin (thanks Ron!) and are going to send it to München to see if they'll cover the cost of repairs, since the American warranty doesn't apply to the car in Europe, so technically my car wasn't under warranty when I got here, which also sucks, cuz I don't even have the option of extending it since it expired...more suckage.

They checked the car for more damage and didn't find anything (thankfully). I'm glad it's been taken car of and hopefully I don't have to worry about it again.

In related, but separate news, I'd like to review the 318i wagon that they gave me as a rental. My first thought was kinda like, wow that thing is huge compared to my tiny M Coupe, and it was pain in the ass to get it out of the parking spot it was in, but the park assist helped with that. At first I thought it drove really smooth and like the gearbox etc, but I realized when I got my car back that it just felt loose compared to the ///M. It was definitely lacking in the fun category, but I found the little quirks amusing, like when it turns off when you put it in N and come to a stop (efficient dynamics I suppose). The iDrive was good at first, liked how it controlled the radio, but then when I tried to use nav and the thing was all in German it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get it show me where I was.

Overall I'm glad to have my ///M back, and I'm probably never going to get 3 series...ever.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #46
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

good news!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #47
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Glad you got the car fixed! I'm sure you are glad to get it back. I will be picking mine up on Friday and driving it for the first time in the US. That really sucks about the warranty, but hopefully they will cover it because of the service bulletin.

So, what new wheels did you get? And what do you have on order? X5? X6?

2008 M Coupe
1984 Mini (born 11 APR 84)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #48
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Daddy View Post
Glad you got the car fixed! I'm sure you are glad to get it back. I will be picking mine up on Friday and driving it for the first time in the US. That really sucks about the warranty, but hopefully they will cover it because of the service bulletin.
Thanks, hopefully you don't get too bored driving it in the states. When I first got mine over there I was bored out of my mind for the first few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Daddy View Post
So, what new wheels did you get? And what do you have on order? X5? X6?

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #49
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Got the car back from the dealer today. All of the right side engine mount bolts were loose and one was cracked.

They replaced all of the right side bolts (2 x 07119905533 @ 0.20 EUR and 2 x 07119905724 @ 0.47 EUR).

They also replaced the rubber engine mount (11812283798 @ 43.20 EUR) and bracket (22111094694 @ 17.80 EUR) on the right side.
Did you have the old style rubber mount? Real OEM reveals a change at some point.

When you say bolts were "loose", how loose? Finger loose or just not torqued all the way to spec? Are they single-use stretch bolts?
      05-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #50
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Did you have the old style rubber mount? Real OEM reveals a change at some point.

When you say bolts were "loose", how loose? Finger loose or just not torqued all the way to spec? Are they single-use stretch bolts?
Dunno, my car was built NOV 2006 if that helps. When I say loose, I mean "very loose" cuz that's what the service tech told me. I didn't ask for any explanation on it, cuz he said he replaced all of them anyway.

I don't know what a single-use stretch bolt is either. I know the part numbers they gave me for them, and I'm sure someone smarter than me might be able to tell you more.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #51
Vaino
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I just went through the same problem with my 2007 M Coupe. It started with a little bit of odd vibration noise in the front right of the engine under power. Two weeks went by, and "Bang", the noise level went through the roof. I hobbled home. The engine was tilted over to the right side, and looked identical to pictuers posted here. I dropped the car to the dealer, along with the SB. They called me ask where was it serviced? Having owned the car for two months, and this was it first dealer visit. They claimed "someone" had replaced the bolts, and now they had failed. Thinking the previous dealer may have done a proactive replacement with non-spec bolts. I must say the attitude to blame the customer is not what I expected from M Service. This is my first BMW, and I'm not impressed with the attitude. I have not seen this with my Audi's, Porsche's not even with my Land Rover. I did see this kind of mindset from a Subaru dealer years ago when my SVX cooked it's transmission in the first 15K miles.

Net net result, the dealer will repair/correct. They have to replace the mount, retap the bolt holes, and replace the bolts. It would seem to be a cronic problem with the vehicle. Given the few numbers of M's in the Z4 population, I would almost think they will all see the problem. The car has been at the dealership going on it second day.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

When I first bought my CPO BMW, I drove it from the dealership that I bought it from in Chicago and took it into my dealership here in Louisville. I needed the bracket that holds the headlight replaced. One dealership said the other dealership should not have CPO'd it and that it could not be covered under warranty and that I should take my car back to that dealer......it is amazing how some dealership act. After a lot of talking, it was finally covered, but it was such a stupid ordeal that I should never had to deal with

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #53
cloud8r
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Unfortunately, this is a normal attitude from BMW service. I've had 7 new bmws in the last 8 years (including an m3, a z4 roadster, and now an m coupe) and have been to 5 different bmw service centers (all in so cal mind you) and they ALL have been quick to deny responsibility, quick to put the blame back on you/others, quick to refuse covering something under warranty when there were any issues without you having to read the riot act to them, and slow to respond.

This is the exact opposite I've experienced from all other makes of cars I owned (lexus being absolutely exceptional). My second car and first manual was a toyota celica gts. Needless to say I was brutal on its tranny and once shifted from 3rd to 2nd at around 80 mph. Blew valves, bent rods, and the dealer had to REPLACE THE ENGINE -- they did so NO questions asked.... $18K all covered.

Unfortunately I looked past this horrible behavior and keep buying bmws because they're just so much fun to drive. I'm hooked.

Last edited by cloud8r; 06-06-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #54
rukawa11
Rep
Drives: z4m

heyyy guys, I had mine parked in a garage for about a month because i was on vacation. so when i finally took it out, i let go of the clutch and the car wouldnt move(parking brake not on) but the front end would crouch down. So i called my brother because I don't really know much about cars and he told he doesn't know but try gassing it. So i gassed a little bit and I head a louddd POP and the car started moving. I thought it had something to do with the parking brake getting stuck or something(stupid thought i know) because otherwise the car was fine. That was last week, this week my friend whos never seen my car asks to check under the hood and when I look i felt that it kinda looked slanted like in this thread i saw months ago. I guess I'll get it looked at but I haven't seen any performance issues, the car sounds the same(it was always really loud in first and second). Also does anyone know why the car wouldn't move and was just crouching down when i let go of clutch that time i was coming out of the garage?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #55
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

If the rotors had corroded at all while being parked (from moisture, etc), then your pads could have seized a bit. Mine does this sometimes when I wash it and with a little encouragement will "pop" loose.

Your engine being tilted though is another issue. There's a silver "hat"-looking breather valve attached to the passenger-side of the engine...There is also a silver heat shield attached to the pasenger-side fender wall. If these two pieces are in contact, then you've got the motor mount problem. If there's a decent gap between the two, then you're fine.
      07-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #56
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Mine just broke. I was pulling away from a red light, after about 15 feet, I heard a "thunk" and then I could feel a vibration and the car sounded different. I knew exactly what it was and I was only about 3 miles from home so I just drove slowly.

The frustrating part of this is after seeing this thread, I took it in to have them inspected. The Service Advisor assured me that they were checked and my car was not affected by this TSB.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #57
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Sorry to hear of this, rab. Someone's going to get their ass kicked soon I hope.
      07-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #58
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
The frustrating part of this is after seeing this thread, I took it in to have them inspected. The Service Advisor assured me that they were checked and my car was not affected by this TSB.
Similar experience here...Mine went just a few months after I had mine inspected with instructions to check torque, etc.
      07-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #59
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Sorry to hear of this, rab. Someone's going to get their ass kicked soon I hope.
Just scheduled service. Tow truck is on the way. The guy who assured me isn't working today. I'll make sure to visit him soon though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #60
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Update! The dealer just called me and BMW is paying for the parts and labor! 260 Euro back in my pocket!

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #61
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

I'm glad you were reimbursed for what is an obvious flaw in the car.

Two quick observations - First, when I replaced all 8 of my engine mount bolts recently, two were loose on the LEFT side, which is supposedly the "good" side unaffected by the mysterious assembly problem at the factory. As I have expressed elsewhere, my opinion is that the official factory explanation is BS. But at least they are admitting to the problem.
Second, just to put a wrench on all 8 bolts and check the tightness of them requires a significant amount of disassembly and removal of parts. If an owner is told that they were checked, ask how long it took to check them and what procedure the technician used. You can't get to some of them without taking the car apart.
Appreciate 0