ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #23
Willy Sea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54, E36 M3 Evo,

I wuz gunna lead into the cellphone thing...........but the way the thread was heading thought it may be a "thread hijack"
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #24
thrak410
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

I find it fascinating that people aren't allowed to pump their own gas in NJ LOL!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #25
DVCNick
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I've always figured the "shut your engine off for safety while fueling " is an old wives tale at best rooted with cars that were replacing horses more so than anything made in the last 50 years... never seen anyone articulate a valid reason why it is dangerous to run the engine while fueling. Hell, look at Nascar (not that I'm a fan, just saying), half the time they are dumping a gallon of fuel down the side of the car with the engine running and exhaust a lot hotter than ours; I don't think they've killed anyone yet.

I still shut my engine off. I guess I'm a slave to "common sense wisdom". (Full disclosure I let it run when I was working in Winnipeg for a few months and was fueling in ~0F weather. I lived to tell about it)

My buddy in NJ says they aren't allowed to fuel their own cars because that is a "safety issue". (I've never done independent research on whether NJ residents are smart enough to use a gas pump)

But yeah, if it is only a rough idle with the gas cap off, that is your answer. My brother has had to replace the gas cap TWICE in his DD 2004 3 series due to CELs from it leaking and messing up its pressure function.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #26
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Managing risk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCNick View Post
I've always figured the "shut your engine off for safety while fueling " is an old wives tale at best rooted with cars that were replacing horses more so than anything made in the last 50 years... never seen anyone articulate a valid reason why it is dangerous to run the engine while fueling. Hell, look at Nascar (not that I'm a fan, just saying), half the time they are dumping a gallon of fuel down the side of the car with the engine running and exhaust a lot hotter than ours; I don't think they've killed anyone yet.

I still shut my engine off. I guess I'm a slave to "common sense wisdom". (Full disclosure I let it run when I was working in Winnipeg for a few months and was fueling in ~0F weather. I lived to tell about it)

My buddy in NJ says they aren't allowed to fuel their own cars because that is a "safety issue". (I've never done independent research on whether NJ residents are smart enough to use a gas pump)

But yeah, if it is only a rough idle with the gas cap off, that is your answer. My brother has had to replace the gas cap TWICE in his DD 2004 3 series due to CELs from it leaking and messing up its pressure function.
https://www.ctcautogroup.com/blog/wh...e-pumping-gas/

Old wives tale....
"Seat belts don't save lives"
"Who cares about NHTSA crash results....I'm not going to crash"
"Who needs those lane change warning systems....it's silly"
"Fire sprinklers don't save lives....they just get everything wet"

No judgement here; minimizing life & property risk is always in the best interest of all.

Last edited by racerbruce; 02-18-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #27
Residentj3553
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

Idk why so many people are attacking you lol It's just a question.
I've done it on accident before and the same engine behavior happened to mine as well. It's normal. Just turn the car off before refueling.
Mods: ProFlex E85 Flexfuel kit, Eventuri Carbon Intake w/ RPI scoop, Megan Headers, Custom Axle-back exhaust, KW V3 Coilovers, Stoptech ST40 BBK, Poly FCABs, APEX PS-7s, Diode Dynamics Headlights, CF Trunk Spoiler, Sideskirts & Diffuser.
Appreciate 1