ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Side mirrors are not folding

I just bought the 06 3.0si roadster and sorting through issues I am finding so far.

As I was trying to adjust mirrors I noticed up arrow does not work as well as the button that is supposed to fold the mirrors.

Car is equipped with S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip and S313 Fold-in outside mirror options according to vin decoder.

The side arrows and down arrow do operate as expected and move the mirror glass. The window switches operate just fine as well.

I am thinking the switch has been damaged by some type of liquid damage as the cup holder is hovering right above it when used. Or maybe the spillage has caused some fuses to blow that are responsible for side mirror motors.

Also was wondering about "auto dip function" mentioned above... is this supposed to dip the right hand side mirror while reversing? Its not happening currently.

Looking for some direction on troubleshooting. Perhaps this has been brought up before.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Auto dip function I believe is auto dimming for headlights coming up behind you. We don't have electric folding mirrors on US cars (never understood the decision to leave them off ours when all cars were made in the same factory).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Auto dip function I believe is auto dimming for headlights coming up behind you. We don't have electric folding mirrors on US cars (never understood the decision to leave them off ours when all cars were made in the same factory).
Oh ok, looks like its going to be a conversation restricted to Canadian models... I didn't know that. Some decisions BMW makes we'll never understand...

Either way, I will start with taking the switch assembly out and taking it apart and cleaning contacts with some alcohol, then try to find the fuse box responsible for the mirrors and see if I have any blown fuses. Hopefully the switch assembly is a dumb one with just simple switching instead of built-in electronics. If its got a pcb in there then I will most likely need a new/used switch module. Some liquid in there would definitely fry something I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Where I live, I've never seen a need to fold the mirrors in. I can understand in some areas, like Europe, where some of the city roads are really narrow, folding them in when parked so they don't get hit

Maybe holding the lock button down on the keyfob will try fold them in? That works on my X3.

Last edited by pungo; 02-09-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Were I live, I've never seen a need to fold the mirrors in. I can understand in some areas, like Europe, where some of the city roads are really narrow, folding them in when parked so they don't get hit
My Z4 M Roadster lives in my driveway, under a car cover most of the time, since it's our third BMW. I fold in the mirrors because if I don't I get birds sitting on them and crapping either on the cover if it's on, or on the side of the car if it isn't. I don't bother in a parking lot because it's too much hassle to manually fold in each side.

On my M4, I always fold in the mirrors when I park the car. If I hold my fingers on the Comfort Access pad for just a second they automatically fold in. Or I just press the button on the armrest while I'm getting out. One less thing that might get scratched or dinged in the parking lot.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The point is that the feature is on the car from factory and its not working. I want to make sure my car is operating at 100%. Its not about narrow streets or anything else. All my other daily drivers and ones I had previously owned have folding mirrors and I never fold them. In fact I setup my G30 not to fold automatically as I don't see a point.

I've taken the switch assembly apart and as expected per my suspicion I had found traces of some sticky liquid on the PCB inside the switch assembly. I had rubbed the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove it and put it back together. Well I am happy to report that the up arrow started to work to move the mirror glass but the mirrors still don't fold

I was looking at the fuse box and removed a few to check what I thought might be related to the motors that fold the mirrors in but have not found anything yet. On the little paper supplied there is no separate fuse I can see for the mirrors.

I suppose there must be a module that operates them. not sure. however if the module was out the I'd see codes popping up. I scan the car and no faults show up.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
The point is that the feature is on the car from factory and its not working. I want to make sure my car is operating at 100%. Its not about narrow streets or anything else. All my other daily drivers and ones I had previously owned have folding mirrors and I never fold them. In fact I setup my G30 not to fold automatically as I don't see a point.

I've taken the switch assembly apart and as expected per my suspicion I had found traces of some sticky liquid on the PCB inside the switch assembly. I had rubbed the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove it and put it back together. Well I am happy to report that the up arrow started to work to move the mirror glass but the mirrors still don't fold

I was looking at the fuse box and removed a few to check what I thought might be related to the motors that fold the mirrors in but have not found anything yet. On the little paper supplied there is no separate fuse I can see for the mirrors.

I suppose there must be a module that operates them. not sure. however if the module was out the I'd see codes popping up. I scan the car and no faults show up.
As far as I know N.A Z4 don't have folding mirrors.. Eventhough it might be in your VIN.

Do you have an additional button other than the left-right mirror control switch right next to it?

Another easy way to check is take out the actual mirror and check for the motor.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Correct. There is an additional button and vin decoder shows the option is there.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

My Canadian Z4...'04

Has folding mirrors....
      02-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

mine has it,(had it) its notorious. sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes tries to break the mirror when auto folding as it tries to go too far. the other side works perfect.. strange.i do (did) use it a lot.. its handy.
there are no functions, you can't code it, it doesn't dip..
cheers.