ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Clutch options - experiences with OEM vs. other options

I am due for a new clutch soon and want to hear views and opinions on the options. Engine is on stock internals for now, stock-ish power levels, might go as crazy as CSL cams + 3.5L stroker + head work into 2019 but ultimately staying N/A rather than going SC, so torque capacity isn't a special consideration.

I don't mind stock clutch + dual mass flywheel, heard stories of chatter with lightweight flywheels and springhub clutch combos. I am also considering making the jump to a Tilton carbon-carbon twin disc clutch, provide the adjustments to it need to be made every 5-10K.

Car will see ~75% track mileage but I do want some degree of streetability, which is where the carbon-carbon setup is said to work acceptably.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

N54 or N62 clutch might be worth looking into since those motors make a decent bit more torque. I know the disc would fit, I’m not sure if the pressure plate bolt pattern is the same
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

I have a J&B Performance clutch/ultralight flywheel and it works great, but it rattles with the clutch pedal up in neutral. It's kind of annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsoda View Post
I have a J&B Performance clutch/ultralight flywheel and it works great, but it rattles with the clutch pedal up in neutral. It's kind of annoying.
This is why I started looking at this: https://store.langracing.com/s54-til...nd-clutch-kit/

It's 2x+ the price of other clutch and flywheel packages though, and I haven't seen it used outside of high HP drag builds. I just want an 8K+ RPM S54 that's as revs like a Carrera GT / LFA...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

If it's lang it's worth the money.

I currently have a UUC Kevlar Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel. Although it does rattle like most any other lightweight flywheel on these cars... it has been a blast to drive with.