ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
so lysholm went bankrupt

Not sure if a thread was started but they're done.

that means no esstuning ts2 kits available. fml.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I saw ESS took their kits off the market. There go my compound boost dreams...

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I saw ESS took their kits off the market. There go my compound boost dreams...
well you could buy mine with the ts1 attached to it!
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Not super informed on this topic: what does this mean for those of us who have thought about supercharging the Z4M with an ESS kit? No more ESS options period from a new purchase perspective?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Not super informed on this topic: what does this mean for those of us who have thought about supercharging the Z4M with an ESS kit? No more ESS options period from a new purchase perspective?
Also those of us with an ESS tune? The OBD device we used required updates from them to work.

This could have problems for those who need to release to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
Are you sure Lysholm is bankrupt? I cant find any info on that. Not on the Lysholm site and not on the Vortech site.

But it could be, I know ESS delivered a TS2 kit with a whipple supercharger with similar dimensions (I dont know how it performs as Whipple doesnt provide performance maps for their chargers).
Also a friend of mine is in the process of whether to buy a TS2 kit or not and the answers ESS provides on his questions are dodgy and irradic.

Quote:
ESS doesnt have a z4m/S54 supercharger kit that is fitted with a lysholm supercharger afaik.

....of course with more and more cars being fitted with turbo's from factory, the economic perspective for supercharger manufacturers is probably not the best right now....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Are you sure Lysholm is bankrupt? I cant find any info on that. Not on the Lysholm site and not on the Vortech site.

But it could be, I know ESS delivered a TS2 kit with a whipple supercharger with similar dimensions (I dont know how it performs as Whipple doesnt provide performance maps for their chargers).
Also a friend of mine is in the process of whether to buy a TS2 kit or not and the answers ESS provides on his questions are dodgy and irradic.

Quote:
ESS doesnt have a z4m/S54 supercharger kit that is fitted with a lysholm supercharger afaik.

....of course with more and more cars being fitted with turbo's from factory, the economic perspective for supercharger manufacturers is probably not the best right now....
Don't disagree. Not only that but most cars are pushing so much power from factory that I could see it only being viable for older NA "high performance cars" (E90 M3, E46 M3, S2000, 370Z, etc) or smaller, more affordable and underpowered NA cars like the BRZ.

So having said that although I am not interested now in supercharging the Z4M at this time if I want to reserve the option for the future should I be buying the kit and just storing it now to avoid unavailability issues in the future? Had always toyed with that idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Don't disagree. Not only that but most cars are pushing so much power from factory that I could see it only being viable for older NA "high performance cars" (E90 M3, E46 M3, S2000, 370Z, etc) or smaller, more affordable and underpowered NA cars like the BRZ.

So having said that although I am not interested now in supercharging the Z4M at this time if I want to reserve the option for the future should I be buying the kit and just storing it now to avoid unavailability issues in the future? Had always toyed with that idea.
ESS is still around and seems to be doing fine. The Z4M kit they have uses a Vortech centrifugal supercharger. Positive displacement (PD) superchargers aren't easily matched to cars with individual throttle bodies, because a PD supercharger should be placed post-throttle body.

I think PD superchargers still have a future in compound boost setups, as Eaton realized with their TVS3. Small engines with big turbos have no response at low rpm. The big issue is plumbing and complexity. It's not easy to fit an air-to-water aftercooler, front-mounted heat exchanger (especially when there's already an air-to-air intercooler), supercharger, manifold, bypass, etc. when there's already a turbo setup present.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

ESS is still around and seems to be doing fine. The Z4M kit they have uses a Vortech centrifugal supercharger. Positive displacement (PD) superchargers aren't easily matched to cars with individual throttle bodies, because a PD supercharger should be placed post-throttle body.

I think PD superchargers still have a future in compound boost setups, as Eaton realized with their TVS3. Small engines with big turbos have no response at low rpm. The big issue is plumbing and complexity. It's not easy to fit an air-to-water aftercooler, front-mounted heat exchanger (especially when there's already an air-to-air intercooler), supercharger, manifold, bypass, etc. when there's already a turbo setup present.
I view your videos on YouTube about your M Roadster with the G-Power Supercharger, and read about your other Z4 with a supercharger since I have considered it for a while now.

It's pretty much the only information out there regarding that application, and your review about why you chose it, comparisons with other superchargers, product, installation, and driving impression is still the best I have read.

The ESS supercharged M Roadster in Chicago is now discounted $5,000, and all I can think about it is that it's not G-Power equipped. Although it is appears to be very well sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Thanks for the kind words! Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. G-Power occasionally run sales on their kits. I think I got $1k off with free install.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Has anyone already have any real confirmation about Lysholm's bankrupcy?

Their site is still in the air.

Not mentioning anything, also the Vortech site (vortech owns lysholm) doesnt mentioning anything and google brings nothing up (except this thread).

I'm beginning to think we're being mislead......

Can the TS clarify where he got his information from?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

I was the one that originally spoke to Datastream about the Lysholm issue. I mistyped when I responded to him, Lysholm isn't out of business but supposedly Laminova is no longer making the cores, so no TS2 or above from ESS. ESS has pulled all TS kits from their website, but you can buy some individual pieces here: https://esstuning.com/m54-ts/

The E46 guys are seeing the same thing:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1230398

Lysholm did go bankrupt in 2010, that's when Vortech bought them. I got my threads crossed when I was responding to Datastream earlier last week, so my bad on that.

Quote:
Has anyone already have any real confirmation about Lysholm's bankrupcy?

Their site is still in the air.

Not mentioning anything, also the Vortech site (vortech owns lysholm) doesnt mentioning anything and google brings nothing up (except this thread).

I'm beginning to think we're being mislead......

Can the TS clarify where he got his information from?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Aha that clears things up. I know the thread (I'm in there).

But lysholm getting bankrupt is a different thing than laminova getting bankrupt/stopping with supplies, especially for TS2 owners.
The laminova cores will probably have have indefinate life, but the Lysholm supercharger needs to be overhauled from time to time (bearings) so support on that is much more important.

Somehow I also doubt that laminova stopped making the cores because the intercooler cores are still advertized on their website. You can even download their form on their site to have custom ones made. Maybe the deal between ESS and Laminova went bust for something like Laminova wanting to see more numbers purchased before they start making the custom ones for a set price or so.

And I dont recall lysholm getting bust, I think the previous shareholders sold it to vortech. The previous owner was the swedish company Opcon (from Opcon autorotor, another twinscrew supercharger)

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-29-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
That is most unfortunate
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Well that explains why that kit is no longer on offer from ESS. Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0