ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #1
Rafeland
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Coupe

BMW Z4 E86 transmission issues

Any help or guidance?

2007 Z4 E86

Gear position P blinking randomly and a ticking noise simultaneously coming from the gearbox shifter.
It happens when I start the vehicle when it's cold outside, and it goes.to limp mode if it's frigid. Otherwise it stops blinking/ticking Once the car is warmed up.
Once the car is warmed up I can reproduce the flashing if I push the glass sharply to 2500 rpm and it goes straight back to limp mode.
When I put it to D on cold start it won't move at all or start jerking. But if the engine is warmed up I can drive but only if I am very gentle on the gas pedal, if I try to give it a slight gas it will jerk again.

I've changed the oil with sleeves hoping it fixes the issue but not luck so far.

P0700 code.

It sounds like the transition body is fine and there is an electrical thing going on.

Anyone experienced the same?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:40 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I have not but google is your friend on this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+e86+p0700+code
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
Rafeland
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I have not but google is your friend on this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+e86+p0700+code

This code comes for every single transmission problem, at this point google is irrelevant, I'm looking for someone who had the same issue and actually found the remedy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Okay. But I sure do see a lot of references to crankshaft position sensor in that content.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-30-2023, 01:49 AM   #5
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
A lot things can cause a limp mode. Bad cam/crank position sensor, maf, vacuum leaks, faulty wiring. A decent scanner with show all this.

Because of P0700 lets move onto transmissions. OP if you don't have the time and tools just take it to a shop for a diagnostic and save yourself time. If you have time and willingness start by buying yourself a decent scanner that will show transmission details such as temp/input & output speed sensor specs. Obviously if your speed sensors are out of operating specs than you know that your tranny is slipping.

Always start with the fluid level. If your fluid level is fine and your external electrical transmission components are fine then your problems are mostly internal. Again a decent scanner will show you this.

If your scanner says "Gear Monitoring " issues you will most likely need a rebuild.

ZF6HP19 are know for having mechatronic seal issues, solenoid issues, torque converter issues, and clutch E failures.

ZF5HP19 are know for having gear 3/4 issues, F clutch drum issues, loss of reverse, ETC.

These two transmissions usually go on limp mode once the fluid hits a certain temp. If the valvebody or solenoids are the problem then its easy to replace. Outside of that you will need a rebuild.

I have some experience working on these transmissions.

I'm sure I'm missing a few more things but I'm getting sleepy. If you have questions PM me. Hope this helps good luck.

Last edited by T-Bears; 03-30-2023 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0