ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #221
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC BSM E92 335xDrive BSM

Omg
Received my roof
This isn't buyers remorse.

There was no box. Just something made of styrofoam for 250£. Although it didn't arrive damaged it was woefully inadequate.

Blemishes
Scratches under the clear
Artifacts
Hair
Contaminated finish (fog )

I have a skyer spoiler from China that is perfect in comparison.

I don't expect perfection but the FIRST time I did gel coat myself was a similar poor result.

I appreciate everyone' s work but perhaps GS lost their talent during this group buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #222
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintex View Post
Omg
Received my roof
This isn't buyers remorse.

There was no box. Just something made of styrofoam for 250£. Although it didn't arrive damaged it was woefully inadequate.

Blemishes
Scratches under the clear
Artifacts
Hair
Contaminated finish (fog )

I have a skyer spoiler from China that is perfect in comparison.

I don't expect perfection but the FIRST time I did gel coat myself was a similar poor result.

I appreciate everyone' s work but perhaps GS lost their talent during this group buy.
Same here. My paint guy is working on my top. The gel coat bubble when he sprayed a clear coat on. He is working on it before I install it.

I expected much better packaging than just foam and masking tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #223
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It looks like the gel coat was contaminated or the container used or the atmosphere. There are specks of white material in the gel coat. And a ridiculous amount of what I really hope is just black beard hair everywhere...
Not to mention the deep scratches in the gel.

Is this normal for the price?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #224
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Anybody? Will?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #225
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

contact the maker and tell them your not happy.
      08-29-2018, 04:13 AM   #226
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I hate to say it, but this seems to be the new norm with a lot of these parts manufacturers. You should ask them to refund the cost of correcting it, I did, and they met me half way on my CSL airbox. You have to remember these guys build race cars and sometimes the finished product does not matter as much as they are not as concerned with the aesthetics.

I would love to have one of these, but I don't have the patience to go through ordering, waiting and then fixing it after I get it. My local guys spend 70% of his time correcting these issues for customers who get defective CF parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #227
just-right
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast View Post
I hate to say it, but this seems to be the new norm with a lot of these parts manufacturers. You should ask them to refund the cost of correcting it, I did, and they met me half way on my CSL airbox. You have to remember these guys build race cars and sometimes the finished product does not matter as much as they are not as concerned with the aesthetics.

I would love to have one of these, but I don't have the patience to go through ordering, waiting and then fixing it after I get it. My local guys spend 70% of his time correcting these issues for customers who get defective CF parts.
I have to agree that is becoming a new yet unacceptable standard. There are a lot of companies that are not diligent with quality – short or long term. They tend to use the more affordable and readily accessible production methods in particular wet layup.

Wet layup although inferior in matrix to reinforcement ratio can give nice components. Quality control throughout the process to not contaminate the matrix (resin) is crucial though. Having hair and other particles in there is not good nor acceptable. It is also important that the resin and gelcoat are fit for purpose. It appears that under the ambient conditions of some of the customers the matrix is still curing and causing issues.

It sounds like some of you have been lucky and others haven’t. Small variations will always exist due to the manual nature of the manufacturing process. However the issues described is not tolerable. Varis use wet lay up for their components as well but spend a lot more time on quality and look great. You shouldn’t have to spend more money on getting this all fixed yourself unless that was made clear in advance. The Dutch have a saying “buying cheap is expensive.”

It might be worth checking the terms and conditions of the purchase. You might be eligible for a 30 day return. Good luck to those having issues
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #228
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
Update on mine:

After a few emails back and forth from GS, their thoughts are that the bubbles are due to my local climate and not something they can engineer out unless the part is autoclaved during initial construction. No repair is possible. In other words... I'm SOL.

My own thoughts remain that the curing chemicals were improperly mixed/applied. The evidence of this is that new bubbles are still appearing, and the bubbles that have been there for the last month are getting larger. This, to me, means that the curing agents are still evaporating; the gel coat still hasn't fully cured 10 months after being applied.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert in any type of gel coat, paint, chemicals, or similar application. My thoughts on this are strictly based on internet searches. It is entirely possible that the heat/humidity in my area is causing the protective layer failing... I just find this unlikely.

I very much hope I'm the only customer of theirs that is having this issue. Keep an eye on yours just in case though.
Where do you live that has climate that they can't build a defect free part? Seems like it would have to an extreme climate to blame the problems on the weather.
      08-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #229
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

Where do you live that has climate that they can't build a defect free part? Seems like it would have to an extreme climate to blame the problems on the weather.
Midwest USA
Attached Images

#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #230
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Weights

Finally getting around to installing my roof. I removed the old roof and took some weights.

OE roof:

GS CF roof:

Not quite as light as advertised, but still a solid 10 1/2 pound reduction.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:50 PM   #231
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

I am curious as to whether the roofs from this brand have been as strong topically as expected? Such as....

1)-Could you stand atop it once installed without any collapse?
2)- Does the weave view straight and clean?
3)-How on earth did you dial in the fact that there was no hardware/fasteners pre-installed?
4)-Was the Summer months hotter than a stock rood penetration-wise since no heat rejection was engineered in?
5)-Any post install issues?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #232
Intentional Brown Stain
Private
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 MC

Kinda an unrelated noob question; I had talked to a detailing shop and the guy there looked at me weird after I had asked to clear coat on gel coat. He said either gel coat or clear coat, and gel coat is stronger and is used in boats. Am I missing something here? I was going to have them put clear coat on all my cf parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #233
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Brown Stain View Post
Kinda an unrelated noob question; I had talked to a detailing shop and the guy there looked at me weird after I had asked to clear coat on gel coat. He said either gel coat or clear coat, and gel coat is stronger and is used in boats. Am I missing something here? I was going to have them put clear coat on all my cf parts.
I had mine 3m clear wrapped. No issues.

Had my wing clear coated and it peeled a little bit. Would've wrapped it had I done it again.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #234
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I'm thinking of buying one. How are these holding up over time? Has anyone purchased recently and how was the quality?

Last edited by cbecker33; 03-23-2020 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #235
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So far so good. No issues
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #236
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Six View Post
I am curious as to whether the roofs from this brand have been as strong topically as expected? Such as....

1)-Could you stand atop it once installed without any collapse?
2)- Does the weave view straight and clean?
3)-How on earth did you dial in the fact that there was no hardware/fasteners pre-installed?
4)-Was the Summer months hotter than a stock rood penetration-wise since no heat rejection was engineered in?
5)-Any post install issues?

1)- Absolutely not... do not stand on this roof.
2)- Nope. Super wavy, although I will say that the waviness is at least symmetrical so it isn't too intrusive.
3)- The roof is basically a 3-layer skin with a rolled lip underneath that gets glued to the car. You have to drill your own holes for the four mounting screws if you want those.
4)-
5)- No fitment issues here, just thousands and thousands and thousands of small bubbles appeared under the gel coat on the one I got roughly two months after installation. Basically anywhere the weave overlaps there's a bubble in the corner. After talking with GS about it they told me it's the fault of where I live and I should be fine with it since the point of it is for racing not for looking pretty.
6)- Where the F have you been?! We needed you on this [twisted]six years ago!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #237
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

You can't even stand on a stock Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #238
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
1)- Absolutely not... do not stand on this roof.
2)- Nope. Super wavy, although I will say that the waviness is at least symmetrical so it isn't too intrusive.
5)- No fitment issues here, just thousands and thousands and thousands of small bubbles...
Thanks - vinyl sound like a better solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #239
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintex View Post
You can't even stand on a stock Roof
pretty sure twisted is trying to compare to the one carbon roof he built for ian 7-ish years ago that has substantial bracing underneath, not the oem roof.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      04-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #240
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Got it. Tks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #241
andrihallik
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Anyone thinking about selling their old roof?
Appreciate 0