ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

How are these 5spd Auto 3.0i?

Noticed there are some good deals to be had with the pre-facelift Z4 in the form of 3.0i. But they are 5spd auto. Eww or diamond in the roughs?
Personally I prefer manual. But there seems to be more choices and deals for the autos.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Noticed there are some good deals to be had with the pre-facelift Z4 in the form of 3.0i. But they are 5spd auto. Eww or diamond in the roughs?
Personally I prefer manual. But there seems to be more choices and deals for the autos.
I've had that era bmw transmission and it was okay as an automatic overall. But nowhere close to modern autos. Even in "manual" mode, the shifts are delayed and jarring. Personally I don't think it will fit the character of the Z4. It's light and peppy and happy to rev. Think nicer miata. In my opinion pre-facelift Z4s are best enjoyed with a manual transmission. If you're thinking of an automatic convertible of that era, check out the 6-series. The auto makes more sense with all that low-end torque. And the car feels incredibly solid. Plus they can be bought for around the same price as a Z4, albeit with a higher overall cost of ownership. I think you should test drive an auto though, you may like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Manual gear box is half the fun of this car. I would not even consider a Z if it was auto. So Manual or nothing is my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
I have a 5spA Z4 the transmission is OK. It's never gonna be a manual or a dual clutch tranny but you can still have that manual mode. Having a Sport Mode also enhances the auto transmission in manual mode or Sport Auto.

I agree that the early Z4 should have been a manual because the chassis is light and responsive. However, it's a pleasure to drive on a daily basis. If you're an avid track driver the manual is a must but for everyday you can't go wrong with the 5sp auto.

If I want manual I'll ride my sport bike.

Last edited by T-Bears; 07-09-2020 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Thanks for your input. I've never driven a 5spd auto 3.0i.

Have driven
- N52 3.0si auto: Very nice. Auto is ok. Funner in sport mode and pedal
- M54 3.0i manual: Technically slower than 3.0si, but alot more fun.

So I only conclude based on above that a M54 3.0i automatic will be slower and less fun. Hmm... answered my own question in a sense. I was hoping perhaps the steptronic in the 5spd + Sport mode might still make it fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
TF07Z430i
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster

I am very happy with my 3.0i auto. The only real annoyance is how quickly it goes into higher gears when taking off at normal speed. I assume thats for fuel mileage. But the sport mode fixes that. The shifts are smooth and crisp. But if you prefer a manual, dont buy an auto just because you found a great deal. You may regret got getting what you really want!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I've never driven a 5spd auto 3.0i.

Have driven
- N52 3.0si auto: Very nice. Auto is ok. Funner in sport mode and pedal
- M54 3.0i manual: Technically slower than 3.0si, but alot more fun.

So I only conclude based on above that a M54 3.0i automatic will be slower and less fun. Hmm... answered my own question in a sense. I was hoping perhaps the steptronic in the 5spd + Sport mode might still make it fun.
Honestly I still think it would be fun but in a different way. The auto would make it a nice cruiser car you can take out to the beach or something and anyone can drive it. At the end of the day it's still a two-seater convertible which is the recipe for fun. But if you think you'd be happier with a manual then chances are you would be. I don't understand the car guy thing of hating automatics and all that, i'm glad they exist. There are people who can't drive manual for one reason or another but they can still enjoy the car with an auto. Personally I think most older cars are better with manual transmissions simply because the technology wasn't there. Modern automatics are a total different story.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
Honestly I still think it would be fun but in a different way. The auto would make it a nice cruiser car you can take out to the beach or something and anyone can drive it. At the end of the day it's still a two-seater convertible which is the recipe for fun. But if you think you'd be happier with a manual then chances are you would be. I don't understand the car guy thing of hating automatics and all that, i'm glad they exist. There are people who can't drive manual for one reason or another but they can still enjoy the car with an auto. Personally I think most older cars are better with manual transmissions simply because the technology wasn't there. Modern automatics are a total different story.
I completely agree. I'll take my '03 auto z4 any day compared to a '79 auto vette I drove once.

I think sport button is a must. In sport manual shift auto I think the m54 in my z4 is more responsive and smoother shifting than my base e82 128 with n52.

And not sure how many others out there left foot brake in their auto but it does change the vanilla driving that the "manual only" crowd tend to overlook. I think left foot braking during heavy cornering can be just as gratifying to an auto driver as heel toe work for a manual driver during cornering. Each their own but different can be good to either way
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I completely agree. I'll take my '03 auto z4 any day compared to a '79 auto vette I drove once.

I think sport button is a must. In sport manual shift auto I think the m54 in my z4 is more responsive and smoother shifting than my base e82 128 with n52.

And not sure how many others out there left foot brake in their auto but it does change the vanilla driving that the "manual only" crowd tend to overlook. I think left foot braking during heavy cornering can be just as gratifying to an auto driver as heel toe work for a manual driver during cornering. Each their own but different can be good to either way
I left foot brake my auto, it's fun, it's also useful for training my brain for left foot braking with an MT at the track.

On the auto/manual note, my modern 8speed auto shifts pretty much as fast as a DCT. I like it, even in D in sport it shifts where I'd shift (holding revs in corners etc). Paddles are fun too because it's instant gratification.

The only downside is I now expect that from an auto, and it is painful experiencing lag with older AT tech. I have an 06 auto Tacoma, and all I do is yell at the transmission for being slow and making bad gear choices lol. Man it's awful.

So for performance reasons I'd take the manual in an E85. Not because MTs are magic but because the performance from that era MT vs AT is significant, and the MT's performance suits the car's character.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Quote:
I like mine just fine. I've had many MT cars and just got tired of the extra motion. I use the sport mode to down shift often, just to save brakes. A 6 speed would be better if you want to pay the few $$ more for '06 or newer. Mid '06 or later is probably a better choice anyway just to avoid the dreaded "sticky steering" inherent in the '03 to mid '06.
Appreciate 0