ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
LisaLannister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

Loud creaking from behind drivers seat

I picked up my Montego Blue 2007 Z4 3.0 si the other day and gave it a long overdue wash, sand, polish and wax.

I noticed that there is a loud creaking sound when going over bumps and it is coming from the plastic grille behind the seat (I am quite tall so the seat back is touching it). I moved the seat forward and just pressing on this grill produces this creaking.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any ideas on how to tighten or secure the grille so it does not produce this very annoying sound?

Thanks

Lisa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I can’t put my finger on it but for some reason I really like your car!! Congrats!!

I am 6’1” and I can be quite comfortable in the car with the seat not touching the back of the cabin. Amazingly, my 5’4” wife insists on having her seat all the way back and creating an annoying creak. I just wait for her to get out for a moment and sneak the seat ahead a smidge so it’s not pressing on the cabin wall.

Nice car by the way!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
LisaLannister
Private
Rep

Thanks Huz_Z. Nothing quite compares to the E85 Z4, IMO.

I also noticed that when I push the seat forward so it does not touch the grille behind the seat, there is also a less noticeable creaking coming from the drivers seat.

Any remedy for that? Can I use WD40?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
In my experience, ANY contact between the seat and the bulkhead will result in creaking. So I have my seat carefully adjusted to be as far back as possible without making any contact at all. Zero creaking.
Finnegan701.00
      07-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
My interior is black, I got a yard of thick black felt from the fabric store. I cut a large enough piece to cover the width of the back of the seat. I just lay it against the grille and adjust the seat against it and no more squeak. Works for me...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLannister View Post
Thanks Huz_Z. Nothing quite compares to the E85 Z4, IMO.

I also noticed that when I push the seat forward so it does not touch the grille behind the seat, there is also a less noticeable creaking coming from the drivers seat.

Any remedy for that? Can I use WD40?

Thanks
I have to agree, I’ve owned my car since 2009 and I still look back and admire it after parking it.

It’s interesting that you mention the squeaky seat. Mine has M Sport seats and I think yours does too. I get the same squeak or creak. I read on the UK forum (Z4-forum.com) that it’s a simple matter of removing a cover and tightening a few bolts. However the guy on that forum never posted any details or pics and it’s not obvious to me which cover to remove or how. There are a lot of M owners here and other than different leather and the embossed M logo, those seats are identical to the ones in our cars. So I would think that M cars would have the same creak and owners would be interested in a fix too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
LisaLannister
Private
Rep

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Pungo, did you cover the entire grille or the back of the seat with the felt (doesn't the grille cover a speaker)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sears were made by Lear Corp in Spartanburg so I called to see if they have any hints on fixing that creak but they don’t answer the phone. Maybe after lunch!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 07-06-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLannister View Post
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Pungo, did you cover the entire grille or the back of the seat with the felt (doesn't the grille cover a speaker)?

Thanks
I cut the felt the area of the back of the seat, maybe 2'x2', don't remember exactly, it was 10 years ago, but pretty much large enough for the area the seat back that touches the back plastic area with the speaker. I just lay it across the grille area as I move the seat back against it, which holds it in place. Yes, there's a speaker under the grille, but it's a sub, so minimal effect to the sound.
Appreciate 0