ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (2007)

Connecting Factory Nav to Aftermarket Unit (CAMBUS, ANDROID UNIT)

Hi guys

I purchased a Joying single din unit, for the most part its really good, easy to use and has lots of great features.

However I have lost

1) steering wheel controls - for which I hope an additional harness from Connect2 will resolve

2) any control over my factory Nav (which I eventually want to remove) BUT would like to still have the computer info such as range, mpg....mostly mpg feed to my android unit.

So the first pic there are behind the android unit 3 particular wires I have questions on that I hope someone can answer or assist with.

1) There is a Green CAN OUT, some reason this is connected already to the white KEY wire
2) There is a grey CAN IN which can just about be spotted under the purple IR wire

Second pic is the factory Sat Nav partially removed, is there any techical clever way for the wiring for that loom in the picture to be easily cut off from factory nav without errors?
Are there wires in that loom which relate to the ones in the first pic that by some means can read the usual info from the car.

NOTE: Within the joying android unit there is a setup menu for CANBUS where it asks you to pick car etc....

Thanks
Bobby
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Give Enfig a call. They make harnesses for aftermarket installs that retain factory features (steering wheel buttons, vehicle info, etc.) and have an E46 set that might work for E85.

For the info alone you can get that through a BT or wifi OBDII scanner (assuming your new unit has BT/wifi) but that won't give you steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #3
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Give Enfig a call. They make harnesses for aftermarket installs that retain factory features (steering wheel buttons, vehicle info, etc.) and have an E46 set that might work for E85.

For the info alone you can get that through a BT or wifi OBDII scanner (assuming your new unit has BT/wifi) but that won't give you steering wheel controls.
Yup used the torque pro app with a bluetooth OBD but does not give me MPG which would be nice, but does give me much more information than the shitt sat nav.

I just ordered something from connect2 for the steering wheel controls.

THanks
Appreciate 0