ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Stuck CD

I've got a stuck CD in my '04 3.0I. Noted in the audio section.

Last edited by Oldmcst; 08-04-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Arsend76
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Some people try with a credit card and hitting eject at the same time.. and some try this;

While engine is running, turn the radio off. Press the Mode button. Press the eject button.

Also, maybe remove your battery negative for a few minute..

Just some sugestion here good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsend76 View Post
Some people try with a credit card and hitting eject at the same time.. and some try this;

While engine is running, turn the radio off. Press the Mode button. Press the eject button.

Thanks, I've done all of above except the neg. batt. removal. Will try that.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Well, I've done all that and removed the battery neg.
BIG MISTAKE!! It did nothing for the CD, but, now the top will no longer power down. It just releases the locks and sits there. I did all the checks I could find and finally got it to power down, but it will not raise with power. The motor just hums. This top has worked just fine for the year that I've had it and the car only gets washed by me at home. I don't think it a water problem.
Of course all the memory was lost in the computer and I'm unable to set the clock. All else seems to be OK.
I find it had to believe just unhooking the battery would cause such a problem. I discovered after the fact that if I had just hooked a Battery Tender to the batt. cables there would have been no problem.
I've checked all the top issue posts that I can find re: hydraulic fluid leak, water problem, micro switch replacement, etc. I think there has to be a more simple answer to my conundrum.
I'm developing a real Love/Hate relationship with this car. BMW engineers just don't seem to KISS!!! (keep it simple stupid).

Any suggests from anyone is tremendously appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Arsend76
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Could be a lot of things, could be the windows need to be reinitialize, could be something else, hard to tell from here. About your clock, need to be adjust from the 2 button between cluster..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could be a lot of things, could be the windows need to be reinitialize, could be something else, hard to tell from here. About your clock, need to be adjust from the 2 button between cluster..
I held the window up button for 10sec.+ both sides. I think that's the window re-adjust. I don't know what you mean about the "2" button. I think my clock is set when holding the SC on the Mode button and using +- buttons on the lower left.
During this process I pulled the red release ring on the left of the trunk. I didn't think it moved, but, found out that it moves very little. I tried to push it back where I thought it out to be, but to no avail.

Again, I really appreciate you input!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
I held the window up button for 10sec.+ both sides. I think that's the window re-adjust. I don't know what you mean about the "2" button. I think my clock is set when holding the SC on the Mode button and using +- buttons on the lower left.
During this process I pulled the red release ring on the left of the trunk. I didn't think it moved, but, found out that it moves very little. I tried to push it back where I thought it out to be, but to no avail.

Again, I really appreciate you input!!!
Finally I took it to my local BMW stealership and for $130 cleared the codes. All is well again, except the original problem of the stuck CD and the exorbitant overcharge. No Big Deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I’d try one of those shops that specialize in after market stereos for cars. I expect they run into this from time to time and know how to address this.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
you can buy a used business cd radio for under $100 on ebay now(I just did)
just a thought.
      08-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
you can buy a used business cd radio for under $100 on ebay now(I just did)
just a thought.

I've considered that, but, I actually rarely use the radio due to my poor hearing ability. I just like to keep my ancient car in good working order. The CD player ejector is the only thing that doesn't work properly. If I replace the unit, I would probably get a new higher quality radio. Then I'd have to upgrade the speakers. More $$
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I’d try one of those shops that specialize in after market stereos for cars. I expect they run into this from time to time and know how to address this.

Good luck!!
Hi Huz!!! Nice to hear from you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
I've considered that, but, I actually rarely use the radio due to my poor hearing ability. I just like to keep my ancient car in good working order. The CD player ejector is the only thing that doesn't work properly. If I replace the unit, I would probably get a new higher quality radio. Then I'd have to upgrade the speakers. More $$
Just buy one that is the same as your OE One.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Hi Huz!!! Nice to hear from you.

You as well!! I hope you get that cd issue fixed. I’m the same way- I hate when something doesn’t work properly or if some trim part is scratched - I just have to replace of fix it.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Just buy one that is the same as your OE One.
Most likely the best advice!!! Maybe some generous forum member is upgrading his/her audio system and needs someplace to send the old one !!!! I'd be glad to help out!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #15
Angelito
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E86 Z4MC, 05 E46 330i

This may be worth looking into, it's listed for $120 to your door:
https://www.redlineautoparts.com/bmw...e85-e86-z4026/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #16
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelito View Post
This may be worth looking into, it's listed for $120 to your door:
https://www.redlineautoparts.com/bmw...e85-e86-z4026/
Thanks Angelito, It looks the same, but is designated '06 - '08. Probably will work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
check your wiring, there were a couple of style harnesses used over the years.
      08-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
Angelito
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E86 Z4MC, 05 E46 330i

My apologies, here's a link to one which fits 03-04 Z4s, but like Kaybat said, be sure to check the wire harness connection:
https://www.redlineautoparts.com/bmw...2428-01-z4027/
This one is $150 but may work for your model year.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      09-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Found this on another Z4 forum:

If the player doesn't recognize a disk it goes through endless retries ignoring all user input. The trick is to get the player back into its inactive state. The procedure is simple yet time consuming... Open the car, get in, close the door, make sure you have some snacks and toys... don't do anything with the car from that point on and after about 15 minutes the iBus will go back to sleep mode. Then, switch the ignition to position 1 and *immediately*, before the system has had a chance to boot up, press the eject button. The import part is to let the iBus go to sleep, so don't open/close doors, windows, turn on the ignition, etc. etc. or it will re-awake. This trick works for both the head-unit's CD drive and the nav computer's DVD drive.

[ Another method would be to disconnect the battery, reconnect, and then before the system has booted press the eject button. You won't be fast enough running from the boot/trunk to the head-unit after reconnecting the leads, so this method only works with 2 people. Also... disconnecting and reconnecting the battery lead and the voltage spikes that causes are prone to frying the dvd drive that's in your nav computer. This is therefor not the preferred method. ]
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      09-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Found this on another Z4 forum:

If the player doesn't recognize a disk it goes through endless retries ignoring all user input. The trick is to get the player back into its inactive state. The procedure is simple yet time consuming... Open the car, get in, close the door, make sure you have some snacks and toys... don't do anything with the car from that point on and after about 15 minutes the iBus will go back to sleep mode. Then, switch the ignition to position 1 and *immediately*, before the system has had a chance to boot up, press the eject button. The import part is to let the iBus go to sleep, so don't open/close doors, windows, turn on the ignition, etc. etc. or it will re-awake. This trick works for both the head-unit's CD drive and the nav computer's DVD drive.

[ Another method would be to disconnect the battery, reconnect, and then before the system has booted press the eject button. You won't be fast enough running from the boot/trunk to the head-unit after reconnecting the leads, so this method only works with 2 people. Also... disconnecting and reconnecting the battery lead and the voltage spikes that causes are prone to frying the dvd drive that's in your nav computer. This is therefor not the preferred method. ]

The battery disconnect method messed up my computer so that the top would no longer retract or raise along with other minor malfunctions. It cost me $130 for the BMW stealership to re-program the system. I did not know about the potential for that problem. CD player still doesn't eject!! Should have connected a battery tender before removing the terminals. Anyway I've tried all other suggestions. Could have jut replaced the radio in the 1st place. Cheaper in the long run.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I've had my battery disconnected/connected a number of times when working in the car.... not sure how this would mess up the cars computer as you have stated. I have an '04 3.0i as well...