ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2020, 03:58 AM   #1
eujiji
Rep
Drives: Z4 M

is navigation screen cover replaceable?

The case for the navigation screen on my z4m has gotten badly scratched. I was under the impression that the whole screen was only sold as a (very expensive) unit, but from realoem it seems that the top plastic cover is available as a separate part:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2802

Is this indeed the top of the nav screen? If yes, is there a how to anywhere for how you remove the old cover and snap this one in?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

You may not need to do that, here’s why.

When I bought my E70 X5 a few years ago I noted that the previous owner had scratched up the screen quite a bit. Apparently though the scratches were primarily to the anti- glare coating on the screen. A guy on the X5 forum suggested a Novus plastic polishing kit which I tried and it worked perfectly by removing the scratched up anti glare coating and leaving a nicely restored screen. I only needed to use the cleaner (bottle No. 1) and none of the other two polishes. I wrapped the cleaning cloth around a kid’s eraser to reach into the corners of the screen. You can find this on amazon :

Update. When I scanned your post I stupidly thought that you meant the screen was scratched but I see it’s the case instead. I’ll leave all this here in case you think you could use this kit to repair the case .

Last edited by Huz-Z; 08-12-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:41 AM   #3
eujiji
Rep

Thanks Huz-Z, indeed was looking for some instructions on how to swap out/remove the top case for the screen.

With some more searching, I have convinced myself the top is separate, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do it without completely removing the whole assembly (with the risk of damaging more stuff than you fix!...)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

It's not impossible to remove without removing the screen, but the tabs are VERY easy to break. Easier to remove the screen: remove the vents above the stereo, remove 3 (IIRC) screws that hold the screen in place, and the whole thing pops out. You'll notice that the bottom part is actually two pieces, which once removes give you access to pop the back of the screen very carefully. To be honest I have opened 3-4 screens in the past and only once did I finish it without breaking any tabs.

Edit: In addition to the 3 screws under the vents, there are 3-4 more in the back of the unit that should be removed (under the trim piece behind the screen).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I have 2 full NAV systems if you need a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
You may not need to do that, here’s why.

When I bought my E70 X5 a few years ago I noted that the previous owner had scratched up the screen quite a bit. Apparently though the scratches were primarily to the anti- glare coating on the screen. A guy on the X5 forum suggested a Novus plastic polishing kit which I tried and it worked perfectly by removing the scratched up anti glare coating and leaving a nicely restored screen. I only needed to use the cleaner (bottle No. 1) and none of the other two polishes. I wrapped the cleaning cloth around a kid’s eraser to reach into the corners of the screen. You can find this on amazon :

Update. When I scanned your post I stupidly thought that you meant the screen was scratched but I see it’s the case instead. I’ll leave all this here in case you think you could use this kit to repair the case .

Thank you! My screen is scratched up/ugly. Did you put a new protective film on your screen after cleaning it? If yes, what did you use?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stw0rldpr0blems View Post
Thank you! My screen is scratched up/ugly. Did you put a new protective film on your screen after cleaning it? If yes, what did you use?
I’m glad this was helpful info! Nope I didn’t apply a New protective film after removing the scratched up anti- glare coating. That’s because the anti-glare layer doesn’t provide much protection and the screen looks almost brand new anyway. By the way, I did this about 3 years ago and the screen still looks just as good now as it did when I first cleaned it up in summer 2017.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
eujiji
Rep

Thanks for all the replies! Will attempt the replacement and post any useful pictures/guide if it works out...
Appreciate 0